Why become a member? ×

OK Basschatters how do I get my mits on this?

stingrayPete1977

Hi.

I bought a Surfcaster from the States a year ago, and this was the story. The seller despatched the guitar via courier and sent me a tracking number. It arrived in the UK and stopped at a customs warehouse. I received a letter from Parcel Force outlining the import tax (£11), VAT (£90) and a handling fee (£7). I rang the customs people asking how they could charge VAT on something that was not new, and they explained as VAT had never been charged on it in the UK, they were entitled to do this. But, they also said they had used a nominal value to assess the VAT, and this amount was considerably lower than what I had paid. I coughed up with my debit card and she arrived soon after. Also the seller had put a lower value on the declaration value (but a higher value than customs had used). If you seller says it is a gift, or 'parts for repair' sometimes it avoids all this. I bought a Hipshot bridge from the States, and asked if the seller would mark it as a gift, he refused, but it arrived on my doorstep with no extra charge anyway, although I think this only works with small packages.

If you ring the inland revenue helpline, the first thing they ask is 'What did you pay?', and if you were to appeal, you would have to show evidence of this. I felt a bit stung, and at the end of the day could have bought a similar guitar in the UK for a similar price. But the truth was. I was drunk and hit the buy it now button by sort of accident. You live and learn. Although the guitar was what the seller said it was, and very pristine and well packed.

If this is the bass you want, then the price becomes less of an issue. Contact the seller prior to bidding and ask what the delivery charges will be and your intention to bid, and ask if the seller will help with the value declaration should you win (and make sure the seller states the age of the bass).

But expect to pay something toward HMCR if you do. Good Luck!