Why become a member? ×

Warwick experts.... tell me a bit about this one.

Jesso

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1316527761' post='1379214']
Linus, if Jesso's not gonna have it why don't you have a punt on it mate?
[/quote]
Punt? I thought Ireland stopped using those years ago. Or are you already anticipating the end of the single currency? :)

Re the bass: yes, it's made in Germany, yes £600 is about right, but prices range a lot. New it'd be somewhere around £1200 or £1400? And yes, it'd be hard to remove that red finish - the stain goes quite deep. Check the Warwick forum for refinish tales if you want more details.

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316525167' post='1379159']
Mog it's actually a friend of a friend selling it. It's up on adverts at the mo. I have it for the weekend to give it a shot. Just trying to work out what a fair price is given that over here it seems like nothing is selling at all... everyones broke. It feels good to play, but I might hold out for something a bit pricier that I prefer the look of. I saw the jazzman, but I'm after something with the P pickup.
[/quote]

Ah adverts, where Squiers actually increase in price!
If hes a mate push for mates rates. In the last 3 months I picked up a Streamer S1 for 480E, a Streamer Std for 400E and a Rebop 4 Zebrano for 400E. Personally I wouldnt stir above 5 tonne with this.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1316693543' post='1381512']

Ah adverts, where Squiers actually increase in price!
If hes a mate push for mates rates. In the last 3 months I picked up a Streamer S1 for 480E, a Streamer Std for 400E and a Rebop 4 Zebrano for 400E. Personally I wouldnt stir above 5 tonne with this.
[/quote]
Are you saying that you've found and bought a NT Streamer Stage I for 480 Euro (about £430)?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1316694097' post='1381525']
Are you saying that you've found and bought a NT Streamer Stage I for 480 Euro (about £430)?
[/quote]

Yep, its a buyers market at the mo. Having said that it wasn't in great condition, but its nothing a few months wont sort out.

Edit: To add to the point, JCM 800's are selling for about 250-300 euro in places, those are like gold dust 'round here.

Edited by Mog

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1316694454' post='1381542']

Yep, its a buyers market at the mo. Having said that it wasn't in great condition, but its nothing a few months wont sort out.

Edit: To add to the point, JCM 800's are selling for about 250-300 euro in places, those are like gold dust 'round here.
[/quote]

What the...!? An SS1 for about £430. I need to get out of London...

[quote name='Tandro' timestamp='1316695991' post='1381581']

What the...!? An SS1 for about £430. I need to get out of London...
[/quote]

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1316696140' post='1381586']
Wow, an SS1 for £430. Thats amazing although I got my Streamer LX Jazzman for £500 which is a bargain. An SS1 though is just crazy.
[/quote]

Not really, you just need to know where to hit. Didn't someone on here pick up an EBMM in cash converters for something like £100 a few months back.
Sometimes people dont know what they are bringing into a SH store. As Homer said 'Stratawhovious??'

It pays to worship at the alter of............
[attachment=89996:untitled.png]

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316525167' post='1379159']
Mog it's actually a friend of a friend selling it. It's up on adverts at the mo. I have it for the weekend to give it a shot. Just trying to work out what a fair price is given that over here it seems like nothing is selling at all... everyones broke. It feels good to play, but I might hold out for something a bit pricier that I prefer the look of. I saw the jazzman, but I'm after something with the P pickup.
[/quote]

warwick P pup tends to be further towards the bridge compare to a fender P bass - my streamer stage one will not sound like a P bass. because of it.
I have a P bass to sound like a P bass

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1316524492' post='1379146']

Well 600 Euro is 517 GBP so maybe go for 550 Euro.

Oh and Luke's is not for sale, its actually sold to me but he just hasn't decided when he's going to let me have it :)
[/quote]

Haha.
Seriously if I do ever need to sell it and remember ill send you a message. Don't hold your breath.

As to cheap SS1's ..... i better not say how much my 1991 one cost me :) find of the century!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1316731311' post='1382242']

warwick P pup tends to be further towards the bridge compare to a fender P bass - my streamer stage one will not sound like a P bass. because of it.
I have a P bass to sound like a P bass
[/quote]

It doesn't sound exactly like a P, but it's more like a P than a J! It cuts through nicely. I've never played any other Warwick, so I don't know how well the other pickup configurations cut through.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1316484030' post='1378711']
The LX is a 'lower end' Streamer but they are still great. The sound is top notch though I prefer them with a high gloss finish. Those are very pretty! I nearly bought a gloss blue LX once. I'd buy that bass over again if I found it now!
[/quote]
If you like the trans/stained finish, but want a "higher-gloss" look than the usual factory finish, nip down to Halfords and get some colour-matching T-cut or some similar. I wanted to try and get a few scratches out of a s/h Fortress I bought, and ended up with something rather unexpected...

After about 2 hours and several old T-shirts, it went all shiny!!

Actually, even my initial, limited, attempts to buff out some marks made it apparent that I'd have to do the whole bass to get it all to match again. Only two issues, though;

i) It's kind of slippery under the hand!
ii) I think it'll be a while before normal playing wear returns it to a more matte finish, so I'd regard any cutting as distinctly irreversible.

(And sorry! I don't have any photos of it uploaded right now :) )

Update: Gigged the Warwick last night. Fantastic sounding bass. Really tight sounding and easy to hear. I love it in every way but two:

1: Neck dive. The neck dive is not terrible, but bad enough that I noticed my left shoulder becoming sore after about an hour. I have a bad shoulder, and always try to play light basses. The Warwick is light enough overall, but the way it's balanced is a big problem for me.

2: Looks. I still can't get over the way it looks... I'm a big tall lanky lad, and I just feel like this particular bass looks pretty silly on me. While that wouldn't be enough to stop me buying a bass, my preferance would be to own something that I like the look of!

So, what is the solution to the neck dive issue? Are the neck through Warwicks less prone to this? Are the expensive models any better for neck dive? On the looks front, I love the look of the infinity or the Star basses, but they are a touch over budget!

Thanks for the suggestion Doctor J.
I already use a very wide Comfort strap. Unfortunately, my shoulder is very sensitive to small changes in weight, and as the set I play is so long, I really noticed the way the bass was weighted in a negative way. If I was just playing for an hour a night it wouldn't bother me. After 2 hours however, I'd know all about it!

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316983621' post='1385230']
Thanks for the suggestion Doctor J.
I already use a very wide Comfort strap. Unfortunately, my shoulder is very sensitive to small changes in weight, and as the set I play is so long, I really noticed the way the bass was weighted in a negative way. If I was just playing for an hour a night it wouldn't bother me. After 2 hours however, I'd know all about it!
[/quote]
What does the bass actually weigh?

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316985650' post='1385261']

It's just under 9lbs.
[/quote]
Odd that it neck dives, it isn't something I've ever had happen on any of my NT Streamers (and I've had more than a few)! I've presently got Streamer neck-thru basses that are over and under the 9lb mark (sub 8lb, 9lb 2oz,10lb) and none of these dive. :)