Why become a member? ×

Labella flats... tell me about them...

dlloyd

I want to string my jazz bass with flats. I had Labella deep talkin flats on my Stingray a good few years ago and really liked them...

Stringbusters don't have the standard length in stock, but they have extra long scale... would it be okay to fit these to a Fender Jazz? I just cut them to length, right? I'm not missing anything here? (I don't remember them being taperwound or anything.)

I'd wait for the proper scale length - you'll be turning actual string around the tuners, which isn't good. As they're often out of stock, I buy mine from this fellow on eBay - he's in the US, but has always shipped 'em quickly.

Here's a set of regular guage from said seller (I'm not the seller!)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELLA-DEEP-TALKIN-FLATWOUND-BASS-STRINGS-760FL-/120720674889?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c1b835049#ht_1000wt_952"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELLA-DEEP-TALKIN-FLATWOUND-BASS-STRINGS-760FL-/120720674889?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c1b835049#ht_1000wt_952[/url]

I've got a set of 'Original 1954s' on a cheap CMI P-bass and they are excellent strings - feel and sound great. Even though they are a heavy guage (52-110), they are comfortable to play. I had their Hofner set on my Ignition and they were excellent!

I use the heavy gauge Labella flats on all my Basses, love em never use anything else. Nice big wide, fat sound that I really like.
Strings like everything are a personal choice thing. I would say just "suck um and see" the only way you will find if you like anything that affects any aspect of your sound, and also in this case feel of the instrument.

Ta very glad BIGd

OK, there seems to be a set of flats lovers here. I have two basses with flats on them (TI and some second hand ones with blue silks on them). The thud totally does it for me for when it is the right time, but there is something about the upper mids that really gets under my skin. I can wind that off with the tone control but even though that makes things warm and creamy by the speaker the sound can get a bit boomy or dark in the audience. Is there a flat that does not have that kind of grating top end or am I just being too fussy?

• 1 month later...

..............for anyone worried about putting the heavy gauge '54 LaBella Deep Talkin' set on their bass, I put a set on a Vintage V4 P-bass copy about eighteen months ago, obviously had to tweak the truss rod at the time, but the neck hasn't moved a millimetre and no sign of any strain on anything........and the bass sounds smokin'!!

cheers
Ian

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1316596333' post='1380030']
I've been playing more with a pick lately... Fender jazz, flats, pick... instant West coast 60s sound. Nice...
[/quote]
I do like that sound too, Joe Osborn in LA or John Paul Jones and others in the UK. It works with a P bass too but then it's Carol Kaye.

Just done a bit of reading on these, and the gauge is great 52, 73, 95, 110. Sorely tempted to get a set for my "at home bass".

Been using Roto Rounds for years, and really want to like flats, but with so many about, difficult to make a choice. I did try Roto Flats, but couldn`t get on with them.

As yet, not tried flats in a band context, which I suppose is the main thing, as I`ve found over the years that if I dislike a bass sound on it`s own, I tend to really like it in the mix, and that`s what counts.

[quote]Been using Roto Rounds for years, and really want to like flats, but with so many about, difficult to make a choice. I did try Roto Flats, but couldn`t get on with them.

As yet, not tried flats in a band context, which I suppose is the main thing, as I`ve found over the years that if I dislike a bass sound on it`s own, I tend to really like it in the mix, and that`s what counts.

[/quote]
Hey Lozz. After many years playing only with rounds (Rotosounds and LaBellas) my greatest discovery in recent years were the Status Half-Wound strings. I've been using them on P-Basses for a while now. They feel just like flats at the tip of your fingers and, sonically, somewhere in the middle, between rounds and flats. But it's a nice in the middle, not some over the fence, half baked in the middle, if you know what I mean. With the tone control slightly attenuated and playing a bit closer to the neck you can make them sound just like flats. I cut a little piece of acoustic foam so it fits perfectly under the strings, close to the bridge, and now that elusive Jamerson sound is right there. At the same time, with the tone control full on and with a plectrum, you still get that lovely P-Bass bite, but (in my opinion) in a much nicer way. You don't loose definition and attack, you just loose harshness. I highly recommend for you guys to give them a try. You can buy them directly from Status, they're no expensive and they always deliver mine the next day. They only make them in more regular gauges though (40-100 and 45-105). Still worth a try. They do feel stiffer than rounds, so maybe with heavier gauges it would be a bit too much for most? Ah... And I feel it's way easier to play with them than with rounds.

Those Status half-rounds were on the Wal fretless I had from Clarky recently. They feel and sound very nice, and I have no desire to change them.

I have LaBella FLs on my '66 Precision (which are basically a perfect match for that bass) and the Status half-rounds aren't a million miles away in feel.

they are just re-packaged, I don't know what type of Flats they are. Because I am told La'Bella make more than one type. We have not had LaBella strings in NZ for many years. I got the Sadowsky sets from Australia after some research into string manufacturing.
they sound good. I use the set with a 105E string
LaBella also make a headless flat set which I'm seriously considering on my Steinberger

Ernie Ball flats are D'Ad Chromes, just in a different bag.

[quote name='foal30' timestamp='1319687961' post='1417251']
they are just re-packaged, I don't know what type of Flats they are. Because I am told La'Bella make more than one type. We have not had LaBella strings in NZ for many years. I got the Sadowsky sets from Australia after some research into string manufacturing.
they sound good. I use the set with a 105E string
LaBella also make a headless flat set which I'm seriously considering on my Steinberger

Ernie Ball flats are D'Ad Chromes, just in a different bag.
[/quote]
Thanks for that. Fender strings are now made by D'Addario too.

Just ordered a set of La Bella medium gauge Deep talkin`flats. I sooooo want to be a flats-player, as though I`ve used Rotos for years, and certainly can`t find any rounds to better them, there`s still something missing. I think it`s that rounds twang, and to get a thump from them, you have to wait til they`ve died.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, fellow Basschatters.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1319706156' post='1417383']
Just ordered a set of La Bella medium gauge Deep talkin`flats. I sooooo want to be a flats-player, as though I`ve used Rotos for years, and certainly can`t find any rounds to better them, there`s still something missing. I think it`s that rounds twang, and to get a thump from them, you have to wait til they`ve died.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, fellow Basschatters.
[/quote]

Good choice Lozz, I have all my bass's strung with the FL's.
They take a week or 2 to break in and then start to keep on sounding better imo.
I even prefer the slap sound I get out of them to rounds.. (I don't slap much, but for the odd bit of a song)!

Edited by Highfox