Why become a member? ×

Hey lads, have you seen this Ricky?

Grand Wazoo

Looks nice! And with 3 pickups must be a first

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/09/01/bass-of-the-week-rickenbacker-limited-edition-lemmy-kilmister-signature-4004lk/?fb_ref=Recommendations"]http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/09/01/bass-of-the-week-rickenbacker-limited-edition-lemmy-kilmister-signature-4004lk/?fb_ref=Recommendations[/url]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1316377576' post='1377280']
Looks like it should have a moose head on it and a billiards table nearby[/quote]
I think that's the idea, looks to me like it was carved straight out of a whiskey soaked bar counter, with a knife. Even got all the brass/gold for the handrail, hah!

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1316375529' post='1377221']
Now look at this,

[url="http://www.tcellisguitars.com/Lemmy_Bass_Repairs.html"]http://www.tcellisgu...ss_Repairs.html[/url]
[/quote]
Good grief, Lemmy dishes some abuse out to his basses!

There was a time (about 4-5 years ago) when you could pick up a Lemmy Edition Rick for not quite the silly money they are changing hands for now - a few thousand rather than collector mega-bucks

I might be showing my age here, but that bass reminds me a lot of John Mayall's carved guitar, late '70's era

For those of you who are young John Mayall used to play with Eric Clapton in a blues band called John Mayall and the Bluesbrakers, I think Clapton replaced Peter Green or the other way around, still... bloody good band.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1316379672' post='1377364']
I might be showing my age here, but that bass reminds me a lot of John Mayall's carved guitar, late '70's era

For those of you who are young John Mayall used to play with Eric Clapton in a blues band called John Mayall and the Bluesbrakers, I think Clapton replaced Peter Green or the other way around, still... bloody good band.
[/quote]

I used to have one of their LPs it must have been around 1975 or 76 if my (unreliable) memory serves.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1316432760' post='1377864']
I could live without the carving, all told.

That restoration page was a very interesting read - the state of the strap button! :)

Good thread, lads :)
[/quote]

+1 to all three points!
When I first saw it I wondered if the Oak Leaves were a vague German WW2 reference, given Lemmy's intense fascination/expertise on the subject. The oak leaves being some kind of enhanced military award, similar to our "and bar" IIRC, when a second medal of the same type was awarded.

Last time I saw the backup bass was in Glasgow a few years ago & he had a lot of trouble with it cutting out. You could see him giving the crew some serious abuse, as he played, to get the main bass fixed.

Edited by Big_Stu

I take it that Lemmy only has the neck pickup for show?

If you've ever heard them live, there's more bass comes out of Phil Campbell's guitar than Lemmy's bass

But seriously though, he must really abuse them for them to be looking as bad as that. I know he gigs a hell of a lot but that's a serious amount of abuse.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1316434839' post='1377919']

+1 to all three points!
When I first saw it I wondered if the Oak Leaves were a vague German WW2 reference, given Lemmy's intense fascination/expertise on the subject. The oak leaves being some kind of enhanced military award, similar to our "and bar" IIRC, when a second medal of the same type was awarded.

Last time I saw the backup bass was in Glasgow a few years ago & he had a lot of trouble with it cutting out. You could see him giving the crew some serious abuse, as he played, to get the main bass fixed.[/quote]

Good point, hadn't thought of that - you're right that's an additional merit to an award: e.g. Iron Cross with Oak Leaves.