Why become a member? ×

NEW Fender Jag

deanbean502

Been for a ride to PMT in Birmingham today and they had a gorgeous brand new Fender Jaguar in cobalt blue

I didn't know they had started to produce them again i just had to have a go and it was just as expected a very nice bass indeed

Finish was exceptional and it felt really nicely put together and not to heavy. Im the market for a new bass and i was very tempted

watch this space

[quote name='deanbean502' post='1362009' date='Sep 4 2011, 06:25 PM']Been for a ride to PMT in Birmingham today and they had a gorgeous brand new Fender Jaguar in cobalt blue

I didn't know they had started to produce them again i just had to have a go and it was just as expected a very nice bass indeed

Finish was exceptional and it felt really nicely put together and not to heavy. Im the market for a new bass and i was very tempted

watch this space[/quote]

PMT is always a dangerous place for your wallet!

I went into PMT Oxford to look at amps and came home with an Epiphone Viola!

The Jaguar look great and I would have one myself if I wasn't broke!

I don't think they've ever been discontinued, just not imported into the UK for a while.

I believe they continued to be available in the USA, but the exchange rate scuppered them for this market.

Any idea whether the red one with the matching headstock is going to be imported again?

I spent ages trawling for a secondhand one, but missed the two (black ones) that came up and there have been none since. I bought my Aerodyne instead.

Mind you, I don't really [i][/i]need[i][/i] one now...

I had one for a while a couple of years back, but struggled with the shape.

Plus, there were so many options on the tone, I just kept fiddling the whole time I should have been playing!

I was always - 'nice precision tone' or 'nice jazz tone'....eventually, I just picked up a jazz and a precision....!

Now I just plug in and play.....

[quote]I don't think they've ever been discontinued, just not imported into the UK for a while.

I believe they continued to be available in the USA, but the exchange rate scuppered them for this market.

Any idea whether the red one with the matching headstock is going to be imported again?[/quote]

Jaguars vanished from the fender site for a couple of years but now they are back on it listed as a Deluxe version so I'm guessing they were discontinued and are now back in production with a different spec. I believe the older jags were all Japanese? Mine is.

Ye gods I need to learn how to spell again.

Edited by Batfastard

The older ones were counted as deluxe aswell, still made in Japan.

They were officially discontinued, no idea why they brought them back, my guess is they are exactly the same. I would hope the electronics have a needed upgrade. Had trouble with buzzes and a dodgy battery compartment.

Got rid of the 2 nicer finishes in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I have the first version in Hot Rod Red , with matching headstock. With a pick , the neck pickup alone (passive) sounds like a Precision. I heard nasty popping sounds and discovered the battery connection was shakey. There was no clip-on attachment. What seemed easy was less secure. I added several layers of tape to the end of the battery to make it press harder against the contacts. So far OK. Now I am saving up for a Cobalt Blue. grenadilla birmingham,alabama

• 1 month later...

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1319159442' post='1410759']
I have the first version in Hot Rod Red , with matching headstock. With a pick , the neck pickup alone (passive) sounds like a Precision. I heard nasty popping sounds and discovered the battery connection was shakey. There was no clip-on attachment. What seemed easy was less secure. I added several layers of tape to the end of the battery to make it press harder against the contacts. So far OK. Now I am saving up for a Cobalt Blue. grenadilla birmingham,alabama
[/quote]

[i]My new Cobalt Blue Jaguar arrived today. The bridge pickup is closer to the bridge and it gets a more scooped sound than my older version Hot Rod Red. The neck seems a little bigger at the 7th fret.Leo Fender would be proud! My cat likes the shipping box![/i]

I looked at one of the new jag basses at Nevadas this week, in black, not quite the original having passive electronics and P/J pick ups. Nice neck but not quite the same as my 94/5 MIJ jag . im saving for an ESH stinger so anyone looking for a jag give me a shout, its mint condition in antique white/tortose n loads a chrome

[quote name='Batfastard' timestamp='1315255017' post='1363484']
Jaguars vanished from the fender site for a couple of years but now they are back on it listed as a Deluxe version so I'm guessing they were discontinued and are now back in production with a different spec. I believe the older jags were all Japanese? Mine is.

Ye gods I need to learn how to spell again.
[/quote]

Indeed they did varnish.
And spellcheck is your fiend, BTW :)