Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Status Empathy 5'er

GreeneKing

I've been meaning to 'thin the herd' for a while but an incoming bass means that I've been jolted into action.

This is a very nice example of Mr Green's work and is in good overall condition for it's age. No major dings just the usual swirls and marks on the rear as you can hopefully see from the photos.

The wings are burr madrone. The bass plays really well and all the electronics are sound. This bass is the inspiration for my custom ACG Salace, that's how good it is.

It's also a true neck through bass. Controls are:

Master Volume

Pickup Balance

Active Circuit - Bass - cut / boost +/-10dB at 50Hz
- Treble - ciut / boost +/-14dB at 10KHz
- Parametric Midrange Control +/-10db fully variable between 300Hz and 3KHz
- Midrange control switch (Boost, Flat, Cut)

Pickups - Two Hyperactive HR High Resolution Pickups

2 x 9 volt PP3 batteries with easy access compartments.

I'm prefer collection or I'm happy to deliver or meet up half way.

Will come with a decent gig bag

I think that £900 is a good price.

Oops, nearly forgot the photos, can take more/better if requested.

Viewing and questions welcomed.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Love that bass Peter! I'd be asking to meet you halfway (again) had I not just bought myself a lovely Series II. It seems we both love Status and ACG basses! I'm still in love with my Harlot singlecut, it's definitely my favourite bass although I have been thinking of ordering a new one lately for fun!

Out of interest, can you remember the type and gauge of strings that the Harlot had on when I bought it from you? They were very good strings!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1358532' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:29 AM']Love that bass Peter! I'd be asking to meet you halfway (again) had I not just bought myself a lovely Series II. It seems we both love Status and ACG basses! I'm still in love with my Harlot singlecut, it's definitely my favourite bass although I have been thinking of ordering a new one lately for fun!

Out of interest, can you remember the type and gauge of strings that the Harlot had on when I bought it from you? They were very good strings![/quote]

I'm not sure of the gauge Chris but they were either DR Sunbeams if nickel or SITs if s/s.

Glad the harlot is still feeling the love, it's a very nice bass :)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1358376' date='Sep 1 2011, 06:45 AM']It's 15mm. Narrower that the norm but once I acclimatised I found it great, hence my Salace will have 15mm spacing too.[/quote]
I'm assuming 15mm centre to centre? Was that unusual for a Status bass? For some reason I'd always associated 17.5mm and upwards with Status 5-ers. At 15mm though, this is quite interesting. Can you tell me the scale length? With Status headless models I'd always assumed 34", and headed models 34.75".

Edit: And is the mini-toggle switch an active/passive switch or a cut/boost control?

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='1361879' date='Sep 4 2011, 04:18 PM']I'm assuming 15mm centre to centre? Was that unusual for a Status bass? For some reason I'd always associated 17.5mm and upwards with Status 5-ers. At 15mm though, this is quite interesting. Can you tell me the scale length? With Status headless models I'd always assumed 34", and headed models 34.75".

Edit: And is the mini-toggle switch an active/passive switch or a cut/boost control?[/quote]

Yes as you'd expect from from a Status headless it's a 34" scale. The toggle switch is a mid cut boost and works very well in that respect. 15mm centre to centre was a normal option back in the late 80's when I believe this bass emerged from the Colchester factory.

15mm was a bit of a revelation for me.

Peter

[quote name='BB2000' post='1362170' date='Sep 4 2011, 08:34 PM']Peter, what's the string spacing up at the nut end (and the neck width)? Also, how would you describe the neck depth? (I'm still enjoying your old Oly AV '62, but am thinking about giving a 5 stringer a go.)[/quote]

The bass is, I'm fairly certain, sold. I'll update if it falls through for any reason.

That AV 62 is one hellava bass for sure :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1362116' date='Sep 4 2011, 06:54 PM']15mm centre to centre was a normal option back in the late 80's ... 15mm was a bit of a revelation for me.[/quote]
15mm is Yamaha BB5000 territory. Now I know, re string spacing and scale length, I won't be so slow next time.

Did the Empathy series not start in 1991 or thereabouts? I'd always thought of them as early 90's basses, especially with that shape of pickup and the red writing on it. I love this bass though. As I've already said, if I didn't have a Status already I'd buy this one. What a cracker!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1358532' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:29 AM']Love that bass Peter! I'd be asking to meet you halfway (again) had I not just bought myself a lovely Series II. It seems we both love Status and ACG basses! I'm still in love with my Harlot singlecut, it's definitely my favourite bass although I have been thinking of ordering a new one lately for fun!

Out of interest, can you remember the type and gauge of strings that the Harlot had on when I bought it from you? They were very good strings![/quote]

Sell me your series 2 and you can buy this one :)