Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors

malcolm.mcintyre

Just had a nightmare gig using a semi-acoustic bass at a big outdoor gig. Organisers insisted I use the supplied backline, and that they would DI from that post-eq, so "don't touch that either". Couldn't choose where to stand either. Result; impossible feedback from the backline unless literally turned off, monkeys on the desk couldn't give me anything through the monitors without feedback. As a result I had the whole gig without hearing any bass, on a fretless without markers, Scary. Aparently the sound to the audience was great.
Although I haven't had any intonation complaints (yet) it was all too traumatic to go through again. I think I need to go for in-ear monitors, probably wired rather than wireless as I don't run about much.
Anyone got experience.

I have a fischer wired in-ear monitor kit coupled with a pair of Ultimate Ears triple-fi-10s' and it's fab, sounds really good!

The triple-fi's keep out most of the background noise and I can choose my volume comfort level, my playing has improved significantly as I can now hear subtelties I couldn't before!

It is important to work closely with your sound chappie to get a good in ear mix though!!!

Exactly the setup that I am looking at, thanks. As you know, for the bigger festivals you don't get much time to talk to the sound guys if they are rushing for a quick change between acts. Are they normally o.k. to give you a monitor feed xlr lead for the Fischman? I only have experience of them taking an xlr DI feed from me.
It looks like the Fischman lets me adjust the balance from my direct bass output into it, with the monitor feed from the desk.

[quote name='andydye' post='1357438' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:55 PM']I have a fischer wired in-ear monitor kit coupled with a pair of Ultimate Ears triple-fi-10s' and it's fab, sounds really good!

The triple-fi's keep out most of the background noise and I can choose my volume comfort level, my playing has improved significantly as I can now hear subtelties I couldn't before!

It is important to work closely with your sound chappie to get a good in ear mix though!!![/quote]

Thats sounds cool, have you got any links to kit?

What is the set up for this, sorry i am a newbie to in-ear monitors, but like the op i am pretty interested.

cheers

thebassman

The only drawback with this (below) is that it needs a power supply.

[url="http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351"]http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351[/url]

For band gigs (rather than festival-type situations) the PM351 is almost perfect, built like a brick wotsit, and cheaper than the Fischer kit.

The steel mounting bracket for attaching to a mic-stand is well worth the extra. Once attached to the PM351, though, it shouldn't be removed and refitted.

Edited by Happy Jack

This is the bodypack I have, I use high power rechargeable batteries rather than a power supply, they've not let me down yet...I paid about £150 for the body pack

[url="http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring/hardwired-body-pack.html"]http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitorin...-body-pack.html[/url]

I have the luxury of playing in the same venue most of the time and have my own aux feed from the desk, I have tried it using a line-out from my amp and that worked really well too, as you say the blend option is really useful and I guess if your sound guy on that occasion was being a chump you could plug yourself in from your/the amp and hear yourself nicely.

I use this, really helpfull when singing also.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/samson-s-monitor-self-monitor--42525"]http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/sams...-monitor--42525[/url]

Does need power but then so do pedals so every venue I have played at has a spare socket on stage. Failing that, unplug the backline!!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1357584' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:37 PM']The only drawback with this (below) is that it needs a power supply.

[url="http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351"]http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351[/url]

For band gigs (rather than festival-type situations) the PM351 is almost perfect, built like a brick wotsit, and cheaper than the Fischer kit.

The steel mounting bracket for attaching to a mic-stand is well worth the extra. Once attached to the PM351, though, it shouldn't be removed and refitted.[/quote]

I've been using the Rolls PM351 for a few years now and it's great. I don't think the need for a power supply is a
problem-mine sits on my amp,so it's no big deal. It's also cool that you can run a your mic or instrument through it
before it hits the desk so you can have a monitor feed from the desk and still alter your mic/instrument volume
independently if you want.

Regarding Monitor men at festivals, you need to go and chat to them at least one band before you are on, so you can make sure they`ll give you what you need.
Most chaps I have to deal with are happy to plug your transmitter(if you`re using wireless) in to the desk and send a few things for you to get a decent level on the beltpack, while the previous band are performing.
If it`s a decent festival, they`ll have a few in ear units set up and waiting, you just bring your own phones.
You can usually ring ahead to confirm this and "reserve" one.
I quite like the look of the Samson though, I suppose you could run an extension up your jack cable and tape them together.
It won`t be a prob for the techs, they`ll be used to hardwired drummers in ears.
Good price too.
MM

[quote name='andydye' post='1357438' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:55 PM']I have a fischer wired in-ear monitor kit coupled with a pair of Ultimate Ears triple-fi-10s' and it's fab, sounds really good![/quote]

+1 for the Fischer and the Ultimate Ears. A great set-up indeed. I'm taking my Fischer with me tomorrow on tour, along with a set of in-ears from JHA, the guy that founded Ultimate Ears. Really lovely bits of kit.

I was going to get some Ultimate Ears from a place in Enfield, interested to know where you got yours from?

I presume they have more than one driver in them?

[quote name='andydye' post='1357438' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:55 PM']I have a fischer wired in-ear monitor kit coupled with a pair of Ultimate Ears triple-fi-10s' and it's fab, sounds really good!

It is important to work closely with your sound chappie to get a good in ear mix though!!![/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1358111' date='Aug 31 2011, 09:14 PM']I was going to get some Ultimate Ears from a place in Enfield, interested to know where you got yours from?

I presume they have more than one driver in them?[/quote]

The Triple fi have 3 drivers in them.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1358111' date='Aug 31 2011, 09:14 PM']I was going to get some Ultimate Ears from a place in Enfield, interested to know where you got yours from?

I presume they have more than one driver in them?[/quote]

I got mine off evilbay for £100 as part of a stock clearance, £200 ish normally I think.

they hav 3 drivers though and the sound is superb!

OK - so not moulded to your own ears then?

Do they stay in ok and how much external sound do they block out?

[quote name='andydye' post='1358183' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:23 PM']I got mine off evilbay for £100 as part of a stock clearance, £200 ish normally I think.

they hav 3 drivers though and the sound is superb![/quote]

When I was actively gigging, I made up an in ear system, wired, and wireless. It was a jazz quartet - drums, bass, keys and chick singer. The trio were not moving as the drummer and pianist were sat, and I might as well have. Only the chick vox moved about.

I used spare studio kit. Basically, you can get any rack mount headphone amp, like a Behringer or Rane or whatever. Mine has headphone feeds and either main live line feed or individual line feed. You take a tap off the live show mixer, and assuming you mic everything, including drums, you send it to the Headphone amp and run long extensions (you can get them from Audiospares.com) to each muso. Each muso uses their own ear buds. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to use Shure, westone or ultimate ears, you can use any ear buds as long as you can hear yourself. The drummer used some cheap imitation Sennheiser ear buds that were £10 off EBay. I use Shure ones because I have them. I have used Denon ones as well. The pianist used whatever he used with his iPod.

We fed a line feed of the mixer to a wireless Shure unit for the chick vox. This was the basic setup.

Later I ran a more complicated one, with a matrix mixer, so i could feed more keys to the keyboardist, more bass to me, less vox for everyone, more drums etc.
The trio concluded that we played tighter, as evidenced by recordings taped at the live performances. Oh, v useful to have an open channel for a mic that pics up environmental noise, like audience noise, footsteps etc as everyone is close miked or lined in.
Didn't cost me, it was all done with spare gear.

When I depped with a loud disco band, I brought a small behringer mixer, took a tap of the main PA, and fed myself a wired headphone feed. I could move a bit to move with the groove and it worked very well. Could hear everything, every cue, every lyric, and wouldn't have without as the PA and monitor speakers were crap, and worse than the in ear system.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1358359' date='Sep 1 2011, 05:29 AM']OK - so not moulded to your own ears then?

Do they stay in ok and how much external sound do they block out?[/quote]

No not moulded, they do have groovy memory foam tips though which stay in pretty well when you use the right size (you get 3 sizes with them) and they block out a lot of background noise, if I stop playing I can hear the snare drum (but no longer piercing my head, just a suggestion of attack) and when no-one's playing I can just make out voices...they give the same attenuation as my -26db attenuation earplugs when they're in right...

[url="http://ultimateears.com/en-gb/products/triplefi-10"]http://ultimateears.com/en-gb/products/triplefi-10[/url]

I think they have the same guts as the ultimate ears moulded range and I believe you can have moulded bits made to fit them...