Why become a member? ×

Another New Member

Huge Hands

Hello all,

I was recommeded to this forum by a friend. I think I've spotted him on here, but not sure of his "handle" so I'll have to ask him!

My name is Stew, I'm 30, and wow! I've just thought about it and realised I have been playing on and off for about 16 years!

I am a huge disciple of James Jamerson, and I also rate Chuck Rainey, Willie Weeks, Russell Jackson and Stuart Zender as some of my biggest influences, although I don't claim to be able to play as well as or like any of them!

I currently have three axes - (all cheap!).

My gigging setup is a Cort C5 and Ashdown MAG300 2x10 combo (with extra plug in 15" bin if really necessary).

I also have a Squier Japanese Vintage 4 string Jazz. I love this bass, but wish it had a 5th string! I've had it for 15 years and it was second-hand then. It's not one of the really early ones with "Fender by Squier" on the headstock, but it has got a reasonably low serial number. I reckon it plays and feels better than the new Fenders.

Finally, I have a really cheap 3/4 upright. I didn't feel like paying a fortune if I couldn't master it, and as expected, it is already covered in dings and scratches from where it's been dragged around! As a birthday present last year I got a Bob Golihur pickup set for it (probably worth more than the bass itself, especially after Customs and Excise dumped import duty on it!) and am still enjoying messing around with it to get a sound I like.

I haven't been brave enough to gig with it yet - I'm not clever enough to be a full on Jazz widdler!

Anyway, hope you're all not bored of my yakking already, I'm looking forward to being part of your community, if you'll have me.

I'd love to be playing more, but unfortunately a very demanding full time job always gets in the way!

Stew

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='neepheid' post='156690' date='Mar 13 2008, 01:10 PM']Welcome aboard. Do you really have large hands?[/quote]

Ummm - yes. I probably won't win any World Records, but it always seems to be a talking point in the pub with "normal people".

I don't think it helps me play bass that much though - I think those with long slender fingers would be better off. I've got big banana fingers (or so a previous singer used to always introduce me!)

Hi Stew and welcome, it's scary when you actually stop to think how long you've been playing, I'm 32 later this year and started playing bass in my last year in high school, so a similar length of time to your good self, where does the time go... you ever though of playing in goal?

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='156709' date='Mar 13 2008, 01:23 PM']I don't think it helps me play bass that much though - I think those with long slender fingers would be better off. I've got big banana fingers (or so a previous singer used to always introduce me!)[/quote]

I'm very jealous!

I bet they bring great tone.

Welcome to the forum.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='157382' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:20 PM']Welcome fellow southerner[/quote]

Sorry, I'm not really. I'm an exiled Geordie who moved down here for the job and the woman. Enjoying all three!!

Hello to Chardbass. I did pick the right one!!

I have fairly big hands... My fingers are long and thin though, i kept getting told i has pianists' fingers when i was small... which used to annoy me because i never wanted to play the piano!

Welcome aboard though, I wish i had the courage to buy & try a double bass, but I'm sure i would be terrible with it. :)

Hi Stew, good to see another one from Crawley in our ranks (ignore my "Location", I'm Crawley born and bred, sadly). I'm now racking my brains trying to remember if I've met anyone fitting your description while out-and-about - are you in any bands playing locally?

[quote name='JoeS' post='160580' date='Mar 20 2008, 12:17 AM']Hi Stew, good to see another one from Crawley in our ranks (ignore my "Location", I'm Crawley born and bred, sadly). I'm now racking my brains trying to remember if I've met anyone fitting your description while out-and-about - are you in any bands playing locally?[/quote]

Nope, sorry mate, we only moved to Crawley a couple of years ago (wife works at the Airport).

I actually work in the centre of London (bugger of a commute every day) and have always played around that area. Our current band is based around the Kings Cross area and tends to play small bars around Soho and Islington-y areas, which is where the guitarist is from and he tends to book the gigs.

I'm just happy to float along and turn up to where I'm told. I know it's not the best attitude, but I tend to be the technical/soundy kind of guy and always seems to end up having to scratch together bits of PA if a venue doesn't have one, so they let me off!

I'm always up for a good gig though, you'll have to let me know the hotspots. We don't know the area well at all for that sort of thing.

Ah, fair enough. To be honest there isn't really that much around in Crawley - a few pubs like the Tilgate (in Tilgate, funnily enough), the Railway (near the level crossing in town), the Rose and Crown and the Swan (both in West Green, near Asda) have bands on every now and again (covers/tribute bands a lot of the time), and there used to be the odd gig at Brannigans before it sadly departed. They have bands on pretty regularly at the Laserhub down Spindle Way, although I haven't been to a gig there for a while so I don't know how they're run these days (hopefully better than they used to be).

If you're willing to travel a bit there's almost always something on in Horsham (though the quality can vary considerably :)), and there's a pub in Copsale (near Southwater, about half an hour away) that gets some decent bands on quite a regular basis, but it does suffer from being smack bang in the middle of nowhere. The Horsham and District Live Music Alliance [url="http://www.hdlma.co.uk/forum.htm"]website[/url] can be a good place to find out what's going on in the area, as long as you ignore the large amounts of idle banter.

...And after typing out all of that, I'm never going to complain that nothing ever happens round here ever again :huh:

Edited by JoeS

Thanks Joe, very comprehensive!

I'll keep my eyes open, and you never know, we may bump into each other here and there, even if it's only at Sainsburys, Asda or Tesco, whoever's doing the best deals on cat food at the time!

(They're treated better than me!)

[quote name='JoeS' post='160598' date='Mar 20 2008, 01:13 AM']...And after typing out all of that, I'm never going to complain that nothing ever happens round here ever again :)[/quote]
One of the Robot Wars robots was based in Crawley for a while, where quite a lot of rebuilding and upgrading went on. There you are, another thing that happened in Creepy Crawley. And I remember wandering past the pub near the level crossing and hearing a rock band playing (another band whose bassist didn't know that there's no bass on the verse of "All Right Now").

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='160642' date='Mar 20 2008, 09:15 AM']Thanks Joe, very comprehensive!

I'll keep my eyes open, and you never know, we may bump into each other here and there, even if it's only at Sainsburys, Asda or Tesco, whoever's doing the best deals on cat food at the time!

(They're treated better than me!)[/quote]

No worries. And seeing as I can quite often be found stacking shelves in Tesco (when I'm around), I'd say that's actually pretty likely :)

Hi,

I am new to this forum and i am mostly trying to check how it works!Not a big forum fan,better not great with the internet.Trying to though...

I live in Nott'm and i have been playing bass for roughly 15yrs.I am self tought and i try to better my playing constantly...I recently went to 5 strings playing but i am sure i will get there eventually....I am 30 now and i have played in 5-6 bands,mainly original music which i enjoy most,since i can do my own thing....

So,hello to everyone!

[quote name='Hasmabass' post='160890' date='Mar 20 2008, 03:55 PM']Hi,

I am new to this forum and i am mostly trying to check how it works!Not a big forum fan,better not great with the internet.Trying to though...

I live in Nott'm and i have been playing bass for roughly 15yrs.I am self tought and i try to better my playing constantly...I recently went to 5 strings playing but i am sure i will get there eventually....I am 30 now and i have played in 5-6 bands,mainly original music which i enjoy most,since i can do my own thing....

So,hello to everyone![/quote]

Welcome!

I suggest you start your own thread (New Topic) and you'll probably get a load more replies. I would have thought people are starting to get sick of reading this one all about me by now!

Edited by Huge Hands

• 2 weeks later...