Why become a member? ×

Delay!

Ben Jamin

Howdy!

The guitard in our band is currently on the look for a delay pedal for some new material we're working on - he's never had one before and he's not much of a gear-geek, so he's asked me to look out for something for him! I showed him the TC Nova one and all the options kind of freaked him out a bit, so he's after something that's a bit simpler to use and sounds good - the only must being tap tempo.

I figured the Memory Boy Deluxe would be a good place to start, esp. as you can use an expression pedal with it which saves some mid-song knob-twiddling, but just wondered if anyone could recommend me any?

...or maybe even sell me one :)

Cheers!
Ben :)

[quote name='mike f' post='1351726' date='Aug 25 2011, 08:33 PM']I'd recommend the EHX Memory Man with Hazarai.

It has tap tempo, is easy to use, can make great modulation sounds...

It does a lot! Have a look on Youtube.

I've used it with bass and a guitar playing friend was very impressed by it too.

Mike[/quote]

Cool, didn't even know the Hazarai model existed!

I really like it, but he won't be using the looper or modulation effects. Basically all he's after is tap tempo, some good delay types and the ability to 'ride the feedback'/make that silly noise :)

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='danweb22' post='1351761' date='Aug 25 2011, 09:07 PM']You should check out the new TC Electronic Flashback delay, just got one myself and it's awesome![/quote]

Ooh auto-tapping!

This looks very cool indeed :)

Thank-you sir, enjoy your pedal!

[quote name='danweb22' post='1351799' date='Aug 25 2011, 09:44 PM']I am enjoying it as we speak speak speak speak speak speak :)[/quote]

:)

Whoa, turn the feedback back down a [size=4]bit[/size] [size=3]bit[/size] [size=2]bit[/size] [size=1]bit[/size]

[quote name='Pob' post='1351779' date='Aug 25 2011, 09:20 PM']I can vouch for the Deluxe Memory Boy. It's a lot of pedal for not a lot of cash. And he might find he likes the modulation stuff too[/quote]

Cheers! The Memory Boy looks like a good deal.

I suppose so, I don't think he's not big on crazy-chorus stuff, but I guess it's extra tools to work with and you can always blend a little in subtly :)

I'm surprised that nobody's suggested the MXR M169 "Carbon Copy". It's very simple, but sounds absolutely great - very natural.

Edit: Ok, so I didn't take in the bit about needing a tap tempo, but.. I'd still get him to try one out - he might decide he's up for just marking some settings on masking tape when he hears it :)

Edited by Ed_S

I have a Boss DD-7, which I have found does what I need. Has a tap tempo mode with several different repeat settings (i.e 1/4. 1/8/ 3/16 etc), and you have the option of having a footswitch (although this is not required). The digitech hardwire DL-8 is also worth a look apparently, although I never got my hands on one to try.

i went with the line 6 echo park, has some of the features of the dl4 but smaller and cheaper, has tap tempo as well, picked mine up for 60 quid off gumtree, found it very easy to set and got some great sounds with very little fiddling.

[url="http://line6.com/tonecore/echoPark.html"]http://line6.com/tonecore/echoPark.html[/url]

Matt

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1355816' date='Aug 29 2011, 11:16 PM']My only issue with the Echo Park was that it was noisy when daisy-chained with other effects. I thought it was a good delay though.[/quote]

That happens with digital pedals if you don't supply enough current for the whole chain - do you think it might be that?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1355963' date='Aug 30 2011, 09:21 AM']That happens with digital pedals if you don't supply enough current for the whole chain - do you think it might be that?[/quote]

No I had plenty of current spare. I assumed it was because the PSU I was using was 9v and the PSU that came with the EP was 9.6v, either that or it's just noisy when it doesn't have an isolated power supply.

yes i forgot about that, the echo park seems to object if you daisy-chain the power, i run mine from a seperate supply, some of the better power supply units can provide an isolated power output for this reason.
that aside it's a great sounding pedal and can be had pretty cheaply.

matt