Why become a member? ×

stupid stupid question about batteries

christhammer666

i know this is gonna sound stupid as hell
i have just bought an ibanez sr300 my first bass with active electronics
obviously it have the battery in the back which i took out to change earlier but i didnt get no sound from my bass
my ? is do i need the battery in to achieve sound
i thought i would still be able to get sound without the battery in even of a weaker signal
thanks
jamie

[quote name='christhammer666' post='1346665' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:05 PM']i know this is gonna sound stupid as hell
i have just bought an ibanez sr300 my first bass with active electronics
obviously it have the battery in the back which i took out to change earlier but i didnt get no sound from my bass
my ? is do i need the battery in to achieve sound
i thought i would still be able to get sound without the battery in even of a weaker signal
thanks
jamie[/quote]

Nope.
You have to have a battery in there to get any sound at all. :)

[quote name='christhammer666' post='1346674' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:19 PM']cheers
thought there was something wrong with it but alas no its just me being a complete dick :)[/quote]

No problem.
Some active basses will work in passive mode without a battery, but the SR300 isn't one of them. :)

[quote name='wez' post='1346691' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:42 PM']Keep a spare battery handy and when it sounds like youve blown a speaker in the amp its time to change it (thats what mine sounds like anyway)[/quote]

Yep.
The output starts distorting and the volume gets lower and lower.

Incidentally Christhammer - 9V rechargeable batteries are only 7.2V when fully charged so it's not a great idea using them in a bass.
I use bog standard Duracell ones and change them every 6 months or so.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1347155' date='Aug 21 2011, 02:25 PM']Mine got this sort of chorusie effect going on. Was most weird had me checking all the patches on the FX box thinking I had added something by accident :) :)[/quote]

If Microsoft made preamps, that'd be a [b]feature[/b]... :lol:

[quote name='icastle' post='1346720' date='Aug 20 2011, 09:25 PM']Yep.
The output starts distorting and the volume gets lower and lower.

Incidentally Christhammer - 9V rechargeable batteries are only 7.2V when fully charged so it's not a great idea using them in a bass.
I use bog standard Duracell ones and change them every 6 months or so.[/quote]

I have 2X 9v rechargables in my precision deluxe and I can't detect any difference in performance compared with 2 standard non-recharge types. I guess it depends how much voltage you really need to drive the preamp circuit?

There are 2 sizes of 9V rechargeable: 8.4V and 9.6V. The 8.4V have a larger capacity, but deliver a lower voltage.

3 years ago I bought a bunch of the 8.4V jobs for use in radio mics, and after the first year of use (trickle charged continuously when not actually in use) we started getting some weird feedback and variable tonal qualities, as well as increasingly frequent 'low charge' failures. Last summer I replaced the lot with the 9.6V jobs, and they've been working faultlessly since. Many bits of electronic kit have a minimum voltage, rather than minimum current threshold, and because 8.4V is close to that already, it doesn't have to drop much to become inadequate. OTOH the 9.6V jobs have to discharge a very long way before they drop below the limit.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1348408' date='Aug 22 2011, 08:50 PM']There are 2 sizes of 9V rechargeable: 8.4V and 9.6V. The 8.4V have a larger capacity, but deliver a lower voltage.[/quote]

Without a multimeter how do you know which is which? Is there an online resource somewhere with manufacturer's specs?

[quote name='christhammer666' post='1346665' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:05 PM']but i didnt get no sound from my bass[/quote]
I hate double negatives. Honestly read this to mean that you did get sound from your bass, was confused as to what the issue was :)

[quote name='casapete' post='1347154' date='Aug 21 2011, 02:22 PM']If you look on ebay, you'll be able to find a box of 10 Duracell Procells for around £7 to £8 delivered.
Should keep you going for a couple of years at least![/quote]

Great call! I've just ordered some, £7.19 for ten. Free delivery.

[quote name='wez' post='1346691' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:42 PM']Keep a spare battery handy and when it sounds like youve blown a speaker in the amp its time to change it (thats what mine sounds like anyway)[/quote]

Absolutely. When the battery in my Rockbass gets a bit run down, it starts to make a peculiar farting sound. Rather like the bloke who plays it.

... and if the battery gets stuck for any reason, don't be impatient and force it out, breaking the connector in the process! (as I've done in the past).

It's one way to give your neighbours/wife/goldfish a break from your bass playing for a while, but not a recommended one :)

[quote name='KevB' post='1348711' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:21 AM']Without a multimeter how do you know which is which? Is there an online resource somewhere with manufacturer's specs?[/quote]

It'll be written on the outside of the battery in very small writing somewhere in most cases.