Why become a member? ×

Silica Gel desiccant bag inside bass case

Len_derby

Without really thinking it through I've put one of those little silica gel desiccant bags into one of bass hard cases. It's one of the little gel bags that come inside the packaging for electrical goods. My thoughts were that it would help to keep the electrics moisture-free and combat any rusting that might start. But, because it might also contribute to drying-out of the finger board and the rest of the timber is it actually a bad thing to have the gel bag in there? Any thoughts?

Firstly, those little bags can only absorb a certain amount of moisture. So, unless you regularly dry them out then they're probably not actually be making any difference at all.

Secondly, unless you regularly store your bass/case in a damp environment or play in the rain and put it in the case when wet (OK, that would be daft, but you get the picture) then I'd be surprised if moisture is a significant problem.

Wood will expand/contract as its moisture level changes. Thus, for a guitar, I'd say that the ideal situation is to keep the moisture content constant. Storing it in a dessicating atmosphere may not help with this at all.

In practice, most basses are stored in a household environment and I don't know anyone who worries about their TV or hi-fi or or furniture or a myriad of other goods being affected by dampness. My bass is over 20 years old and doesn't show any signs of moisture-related problems.

A quick towelling-down to remove any sweat/skin oils after playing is probably more important.

I wouldn't worry about it.

All silicon dessicants have only a small life span, in heavy humidity conditions their effect can last only 3 to 4 months, they are not regenerating so once they've done their job, that is it, they don't absorbe moisture for ever.

We use large bags of the staff (5 kilos each) in ship containers loaded with cocoa beans from Ghana once they reach UK and the cargo is discharged, the bags of large silicon pellets is disposed of.

• Like 1

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1344085' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:54 AM']All silicon dessicants have only a small life span, in heavy humidity conditions their effect can last only 3 to 4 months, they are not regenerating so once they've done their job, that is it, they don't absorbe moisture for ever.[/quote]

That's worth knowing - I'll chuck 'em all away then.

I always assumed that they were doing [b][i]something[/i][/b]!

yeah i always assumed they were doing something too,

as a side now, if they only adsorb a certain amount of moisture, and normal bass playing conditions do not change very much, then couldn't they provide some kind of equalisation of moisture to a small extent, when moist they pick up some moisture, when dry they release some?

[quote name='Nyl' post='1344099' date='Aug 18 2011, 10:08 AM']yeah i always assumed they were doing something too,

as a side now, if they only adsorb a certain amount of moisture, and normal bass playing conditions do not change very much, then couldn't they provide some kind of equalisation of moisture to a small extent, when moist they pick up some moisture, when dry they release some?[/quote]
I think you have to cook it to get it to release it's moisture.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1344103' date='Aug 18 2011, 10:12 AM']They can be reused by baking in an oven to dry them out. So no need to throw them away if you really need them.[/quote]

My old Nan used to this with a silica pod in her biscuit tin, so it must be okay.

Last year, I left several of my basses in an unheated but well insulated house over the winter. By February they all needed attention. I'll change the way I do this in future.

As per previous replies, I can't see that the silica does anything unless the place you store your bass is a bit damp. I guess that the gel is put in for shipping (by sea) where it can get a little damp.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1344058' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:31 AM']I think the difference they make will be quite minimal. I mean if you kept a book or song sheets in there they'd probably draw more moisture.[/quote]

Apparently dry rice is one of the best things to use - cooked rice is less recommended.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='1344126' date='Aug 18 2011, 10:34 AM']Apparently dry rice is one of the best things to use - [b]cooked rice is less recommended[/b].[/quote]
Yeah rice pudding doesn't help either. :)

As it happens we put a pinch of raw rice in each of our salt cellars at home for that very reason... stops them clogging up.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1344307' date='Aug 18 2011, 01:08 PM']I'd quess an electric over would be better than gas, because gas ones are moist from the gas burning (which is why they cook stuff differently).

[b]I always figured putting them in the control cavity is a good plan[/b], but I never remember when I have a bass open.[/quote]
And your bass could double as maracas in the quiet bits. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1344147' date='Aug 18 2011, 10:54 AM']And if you want some for free, you could pick up the rice at a church where a wedding has been.[/quote]
:) Nice quote! Shame no-one else seemed to pick up on it.

I remember reading some boutique amp maker recommending putting silica gel in speaker cabs so that the speaker cone(s) would stay dryer and hence lighter and hence more responsive.

I`ve always kept these in my bass cases, and in the load-space in my car, when I used to leave my (extremely heavy) Marshall 412 in there.

Suppose it`s a placebo effect, I just felt better, knowing they were there.

And now my illusions have been smashed beyond repair :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1344085' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:54 AM']All silicon dessicants have only a small life span, in heavy humidity conditions their effect can last only 3 to 4 months, they are not regenerating so once they've done their job, that is it, they don't absorbe moisture for ever.

We use large bags of the staff (5 kilos each) in ship containers loaded with cocoa beans from Ghana once they reach UK and the cargo is discharged, the bags of large silicon pellets is disposed of.[/quote]
Just add more water until they properly gel up, and sell 'em on to cosmetic surgeons. 5 kilos should be about right. :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1344307' date='Aug 18 2011, 01:08 PM']I'd quess an electric over would be better than gas, because gas ones are moist from the gas burning (which is why they cook stuff differently).

I always figured putting them in the control cavity is a good plan, but I never remember when I have a bass open.[/quote]

Damn! We've got a gas oven. What about the microwave? Wonder what that would do to them.

Microwave oven would probably be OK as the microwaves excite water molecules to heat them and (usually) the food they are within.

Actually, a gas oven would probably be OK as well. Yes, gas can give off water vapour but if the oven is above 100C then it's not going to condense inside so the oven would still dry out the sachets.