Why become a member? ×

I've got a session that's way over my head...

Beer of the Bass

For the last couple of years, my friend's band, who are doing fairly well, have had me in to do double bass overdubs on their recordings. It's generally been just an intro or two, or the occasional ballad. I've played in bands with several of the members for a long time, so I thought they'd know where I'm at musically. My reading skills are quite rudimentary (and they know that), but I can usually learn lines OK if I get them in advance of the session.
I'm recording with them again tomorrow, they sent me the scores last week, and I have no idea how we're going to get through it all in one session with no rehearsal. The scores consist of 7 pages of really hard to follow scrawled notation for one song, with notes outside my range, lots of meter changes, and there are four songs to get through. They're attempting to put down live string section recordings for four songs in one day, unrehearsed. I'm doing everything I can to learn the parts, but I have a horrible feeling I'm going to crash and burn tomorrow. I've tried to speak to them about this, but they seem to think we'll muddle through. I think they should have called someone with classical training, and paid them accordingly. They're old friends of mine and I think this is going to lead to a really awkward situation between us. Not sure why I'm posting this really, just wanted to vent...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Don't worry about it..they don't appear to be.
And if you haven't kidded them, they must think the chance of this coming off is better than having to pay someone..which they may well have to do in the end, but if you are doing this as a favour and they know you have concerns and have been straight about the parts, then you should not feel guilty if they 'insist' you do it for them.

Do your best that's all you can do. Believe in their confidence in your playing, and hopefully you're in your own channel so you can drop in any parts that you feel you didn't nail on the original take.

You're not pretending to be anything you're not so you shouldn't feel awkward. Maybe that extra bucket full of adrenaline will get you through!

Good luck.

All of the above... good advice.

Also... the fact that they're mates, and have imposed what sounds like a pretty unrealistic schedule, should NOT affect the care you take in your own work. I too would insist to be allowed to do re-takes or drop-ins on track 1 until I was totally happy before moving on to track 2, and so on. If it takes all day to do two songs, hey, that's what it takes.

You're working for free, therefore in lieu of payment you should be given the right to do a decent job in a time that suits you... or it ain't worth it.

Did a similar thing last month on a friend's album. I was asked to play pedal steel guitar on four songs, and despite the fact I've only been playing steel a relatively short time (in pedal steel world) and have already managed to find the time to get somewhat out of practice, we managed it... in five hours. He would have been perfectly happy with all the first takes. I was not. Get proud, and insist. Oh, and have fun.

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='chris_b' post='1337378' date='Aug 12 2011, 11:02 AM']Do your best that's all you can do. Believe in their confidence in your playing, and hopefully you're in your own channel so you can drop in any parts that you feel you didn't nail on the original take.

You're not pretending to be anything you're not so you shouldn't feel awkward. Maybe that extra bucket full of adrenaline will get you through!

Good luck.[/quote]

this

all the best, i'm sure you'll be fine!

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1337458' date='Aug 12 2011, 11:50 AM']If it takes all day to do two songs, hey, that's what it takes.[/quote]
If it takes all day to do 2 songs,you may be the wrong person for the job.

Seriously,if you don't think you can handle the gig,it might be best to call the guys and back out. It'll be better for you to be open about it and bow out gracefully than go in with a 'can't do' attitude and not pull it off.
Of course,there is a chance that you'll go in and totally rinse it,but you need to be confident in your abilities,which,at the moment,it sounds like you're not.

Edited by Doddy

Well, I'm spending a few hours today reading through the parts, there's nothing there that I couldn't play, it's just the thought of getting all of that down in one day without rehearsal. I think they're recording all of the string instruments live, so there may be limited opportunities to drop in and re-do parts. I think they're getting a bit too ambitious for the studio time and budget they have, and the scores haven't been prepared very well - it's often unclear which section of songs is being referred to, and some parts just don't make sense (like 4 1/2 beats in a bar of 4/4). I've called them and explained my worries, but the studio is booked and they wouldn't be willing/able to pay for some top flight classical dude anyway. I'll let you know how it went...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1337539' date='Aug 12 2011, 12:45 PM'], and some parts just don't make sense (like 4 1/2 beats in a bar of 4/4).[/quote]
Just for my own confusion....When you say '1/2 beats' are you referring to quavers/8th note
(half a beat each)??

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1337566' date='Aug 12 2011, 01:04 PM']I mean four and a half beats in a bar of 4/4, but only in the bass part, not in the other lines! It's an obvious cock up in the part writing. There are a few other things like that too.[/quote]

To be honest from reading your posts, little thought has gone onto the charts, IE - like you say above and notes out of range, unclear directions etc.
Well in my experience that always leads to one thing -[b] All [/b]the band charts will be like that, and time will be wasted sorting it all out on the job,
And that includes the other Musicians.
Oh and dont worry about string players being 'On it' they will be even more confused than you if it is not written out correctly.... :)
You will all be in the same boat, so just enjoy it.

Garry

It sounds to me that they have unrealistic hopes..and if they themselves are on the ball..it could be a roasting for you, but then they SHOULD have gotten someone in who could do what they want AND paid accordingly.

They didn't or can't...so this is sounds a bit like a cock-waving exercise with the mates.

If they are paying you.. then the concerns are real. If not, then they must know if the parts take extra time, then that eats into the budget just as much as paying for the bass in the first place.

Just consider it a favour that you are prepared to do. Enjoy it...never as bad as they seem unless you hate every minute of it.
If that is the case, you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

Chill.............

[quote name='lowdown' post='1337597' date='Aug 12 2011, 01:30 PM']To be honest from reading your posts, little thought has gone onto the charts, IE - like you say above and notes out of range, unclear directions etc.
Well in my experience that always leads to one thing -[b] All [/b]the band charts will be like that, and time will be wasted sorting it all out on the job,
And that includes the other Musicians.
Oh and dont worry about string players being 'On it' they will be even more confused than you if it is not written out correctly.... :)
You will all be in the same boat, so just enjoy it.

Garry[/quote]

You may be right. I've spent most of today playing through the parts, so I feel like I'm doing what I can. I think 2 of the 4 songs will be OK, one is marginal and one will need some rehearsal to work at all. It's an odd band dynamic - they're sort of folk-rock with proggy leanings, the drummer sings and writes most of the songs, and has ambitiuous ideas of what he wants to do with the music, but he doesn't read or write music, so the keyboard player/vocalist runs around frantically sorting out arrangements etc. I think the drummer/songwriter can sometimes fail to appreciate how much effort other people are putting in to making his music happen, or that time is needed for this.

Well, I got through it and it wasn't too bad! Only three of the four songs got recorded due to time constraints. Conveniently, the one that got dropped was the one where I was really struggling with the score, so that issue didn't come up. I'd got the wrong end of the stick about them wanting to record the whole string section live - We laid down double bass, organ/piano and guide vocals live, with good separation, so we could drop things in for minor errors. I'd say I'm happy with my playing on the first two we did. The third track was a rush job in the last half hour of the session and will require some editing to get a good complete take, but there wasn't time to do more. The parts are actually not too complicated, but have some weird timing going on due to following a singer with loose, folky delivery.
So, lessons learned are as follows:
- I should have a bit more confidence in my playing. I did a decent job and didn't hold things up particularly.
- It wouldn't hurt to do some work on my reading. I think i was mostly bricking it as I'm not used to having to get material laid down straight from notation in a short time. Any suggestions of good ways to develop my reading are welcomed.
- Handwritten scores can be a nightmare! I think I should be prodding my friend to use Sibelius or similar.

Fanastic! Congrats :)
I have to say, giving very scruffy & inaccurate handwritten scores for other players is very unporfessional.
If your friend does have sibelius, was it jus out of laziness that he didn't transcibe it?
Sibelius is certainly an invaluable tool- even if the midi ound set isn't very good! :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1339392' date='Aug 14 2011, 12:26 PM']- It wouldn't hurt to do some work on my reading. I think i was mostly bricking it as I'm not used to having to get material laid down straight from notation in a short time. Any suggestions of good ways to develop my reading are welcomed.[/quote]

[url="http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Random-Note-Finder-Exercise.pdf"]http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/u...er-Exercise.pdf[/url]