Why become a member? ×

Flats on a Ric?

Guest MoJo

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1335900' date='Aug 10 2011, 11:23 PM']Toying with the idea of putting some flats on my Ric. Anyone tried it or am I likely to be burned at the stake for suggesting it?[/quote]

Ric 4445s on both mine, truly awesome tone. Going by TB & RR, Rics & flats is a more common combination than perhaps you'd think

I once did a session where I had to play a supplied Ric with flatwounds. I'm not a huge fan of
Ric's usually,but in this case it was horrible. I suppose it wasn't helped that it was tuned
BEAD and it was insisted that it had the neck pickup solo'ed and the bridge mutes on....
and played with a pick.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1335950' date='Aug 11 2011, 12:41 AM']I once did a session where I had to play a supplied Ric with flatwounds. I'm not a huge fan of
Ric's usually,but in this case it was horrible. I suppose it wasn't helped that it was tuned
BEAD and it was insisted that it had the neck pickup solo'ed and the bridge mutes on....
and played with a pick.[/quote]

That sounds awful! The things we do for bread and butter eh? :)

Ti flats sound excellent on my 4001.

I would recommend you check them out during a rehearsal. You will find the bass has a huge amount of lo mid presence throughout the range and doesn't clutter up the high end. They also give the bass tone a lot of weight in my experience.

I use round wounds on my other basses but the ti flats work incredibly well on my 4001.

N

[quote name='acidbass' post='1335987' date='Aug 11 2011, 03:53 AM']That sounds awful! The things we do for bread and butter eh? :)[/quote]

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1335900' date='Aug 10 2011, 11:23 PM']Toying with the idea of putting some flats on my Ric. Anyone tried it or am I likely to be burned at the stake for suggesting it?[/quote]

Ric with flats? Try Sergeant Pepper.

[quote name='acidbass' post='1335987' date='Aug 11 2011, 03:53 AM']That sounds awful! The things we do for bread and butter eh? :)[/quote]
Exactly.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1336312' date='Aug 11 2011, 12:20 PM']The sheer mentioning of that has me grimacing .

Did you hear the end result?? Was it as bad as it sounds?[/quote]
It was horrible....just an inditinct thud.

Do it! if you don't like it the worst you've done is waste the cost of the strings and the time it takes to change them :)

I had a 4001 years ago (should never have sold it) and i always put flats on when recording, always sounded great. playing with the string mutes and moving between fingerstyle and pick gave me a lot of tones - i even tried tapewound once (that was a bit too wooly).

However I always found rounds to be better for live - but that could have been my youth and a c^^p amp....

After running rounds for more than 20 years exclusively on my 4001 , I've recently gone with half-rounds.

I couldn't bring myself to go full flat because I hate the feel of them under my fingers!

Initially I didn't really like the tone (I guess because I was so used to the rounds) but I have grown to love it and won't go back to rounds again.

Greg