Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR range.

Kes

Hey all,

I've been playing bass for around 5 years now (a couple of cover and originals bands) and my current bass (Ibanez GSR200) is about 4-5 years old...

i've been playing around with lots of different basses recently trying to find a nice upgrade...

The things i'm looking towards atm is a 5string (due to playing bits of light metal and rocky stuff and wanting to play around with a 5 string for a change)

and looking at the SR range - i just have 2 questions about it....

1. the body type seems to be the only difference in the range... ash/mahogany etc. is there much difference aside from that? (any preferences)

2. while I can afford the ~£500 price tag i'm also looking around for 2nd hand ones. which as they're older wouldn't have the new mid range frequency select switch. Would i be missing much? is it worth buying new at all if i shop around (mostly on here) for a well looked after one.

Thanks for any replies constructive or trolling...

Kes.

Edited by Kes

I've got a SR1000 I bought new 20 odd years ago (ok, it's a 4 stringer) & it's still my main bass.
It's went from being a metal/rock bass to a folk/country bass to a DnB/dubstep bass & hasn't let me down.
It has the original Powercurve EQ section.

I think the main difference between cheaper & higher models is the quality of parts used as well as the woods.

I use a BTB as my main bass, its very, very good. It plays like butter and the electronics are superb. I would highly recomend ibanez, ive never played a bad one.

And this may be slightly unrelated, but I reaaly want one of these
[url="http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR1400"]http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR1400[/url]

Edited by Mikeg

[quote name='Kes' post='1330544' date='Aug 7 2011, 01:12 AM']Hey all,

I've been playing bass for around 5 years now (a couple of cover and originals bands) and my current bass (Ibanez GSR200) is about 4-5 years old...

i've been playing around with lots of different basses recently trying to find a nice upgrade...

The things i'm looking towards atm is a 5string (due to playing bits of light metal and rocky stuff and wanting to play around with a 5 string for a change)

and looking at the SR range - i just have 2 questions about it....

1. the body type seems to be the only difference in the range... ash/mahogany etc. is there much difference aside from that? (any preferences)

2. while I can afford the ~£500 price tag i'm also looking around for 2nd hand ones. which as they're older wouldn't have the new mid range frequency select switch. Would i be missing much? is it worth buying new at all if i shop around (mostly on here) for a well looked after one.

Thanks for any replies constructive or trolling...

Kes.[/quote]

In short, there's a huge difference between the various instruments - they're variations on a theme, but very big variations. As well as the body wood, the neck/fretboard wood, the bridge, pickups and eq all vary depending on the type and specific model.

Generally the cheaper basses (SR3xx) are made with cheaper materials and have fewer 'features'. The mid-range instruments (e.g. the SR5xx, SR6xx) instruments have more features and better pickups - the Bartolini branded MK pickups - and the 3-band eq. However, due to the rising prices of certain woods, they've, for example, recently replaced the wenge in the necks with jatoba.

Some of the other models have different features - e.g. the SR7xx range have tone blocks in the body. There are also variants with different neck woods - I believe there are SR5xxM models that have a maple neck, rather than jatoba.

Ibanez have recently introduced a 'Premium' range, in which they use high-end components (wenge neck, nordstrand pickups etc) and also have the mid-range selection that the SR5xx now has.

Moving up to the top, the SR Prestige range of basses are Japanese-made (which of course adds a lot to the price), and have more 'nice-to-have' features, such as the power curve mid-range control, which is more of a true parametric mid range control and US-made Bartolini custom pickups.

The one thing with Ibanez that I've found (and also appears to be the case with Yamaha) is that the higher-end instruments really do not retain their value relative to cost, which is surprising as they are incredibly well made instruments for the price and even at the higher-end, you're still getting almost boutique-level quality at less than boutique-level price. I don't understand why they don't retain value.

As such, with £500, you could maybe stretch to one of the older Japanese-made instruments that pop up for sale on here occasionally. You could also get hold of an SR505, SR705 for probably around the £300 mark or maybe even a through-neck SR905 or SR1005 - the latter has the old vari-mid III parametric mid control, that preceded the power curve in the prestige models.

Have a look here: [url="http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/bass_gallery.htm"]Ibanez Register[/url] for more information on specs for some of the older models out there.

God Damn! i've just woken up and thought i'd check the thread i made last night.

to all the replies above. i'm astonished. all i can say is thank you. exactly the type of info I was looking for plus lots more.

I was expecting to look at this thread and just have a page of links towards the 'tonewoods' thread. (which i did see just knew it wasn't just the different woods)

Aye about the whole Ibanez thing, i've been trying loads of different basses recently and haven't found one that i like as much as its equivalent Ibanez...

I shall be waiting and watching the bass sale threads to see what comes up :)

and currently off to look into older models. (as i previously wasn't sure on the deterioration of some on board electrics but on the higher grade ones i'm sure its fine).

signed - as i don't have a sig...

one happy bass player.

Hi.

If it's any help, I have a 900, 4 string and it is a lovely bass.
The neck on the 4 is a joy to play, I'm guessing that the 5 would be quite a fast neck.

Great tonal range, the back of mine is curved inwards, to fit around your "two pints, steak & chips" :)

Cheers. :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1330672' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:14 AM']The neck on the 4 is a joy to play, I'm guessing that the 5 would be quite a fast neck.

Great tonal range, the back of mine is curved inwards, to fit around your "two pints, steak & chips" :)[/quote]

Oh the neck on the ibanez is pretty much the reason I'm looking for a 5 in this range... absolutely lovely. Small hands etc. still spacing enough to slap (on the i think it was 505 and prestige or whichever ones PMT in Manchester had.

Love the shape and lightness of the bodies - despite not having a 'two pints, steak & chips' belly despite being sat here with a full english...

I was looking at Ibanez recently (until I decided the necks were actually *too* thin, even for my tiny stubby fingers :) ).

I'd pretty much decided that it made a lot more sense to buy a second hand top-of-the-range one than a brand new "lower range" one---they don't seem to keep their value at all. You should be able to get yourself a brilliant bass for a steal if you go second hand :)

I've owned an SR505 for about 7 years now.
Walnut bodied with Bartolini branded pickups, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

Other basses have come and gone in that time, but the 505 has stayed and is the one that always gets packed first when I'm playing.

It's nice and light, well balanced and has the thinnest (and fastest) neck of any production bass on the market.

If it got broken\stolen then I'd replace it with the same without any hesitation.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='1330623' date='Aug 7 2011, 08:43 AM']In short, there's a huge difference between the various instruments - they're variations on a theme, but very big variations. As well as the body wood, the neck/fretboard wood, the bridge, pickups and eq all vary depending on the type and specific model.

Generally the cheaper basses (SR3xx) are made with cheaper materials and have fewer 'features'. The mid-range instruments (e.g. the SR5xx, SR6xx) instruments have more features and better pickups - the Bartolini branded MK pickups - and the 3-band eq. However, due to the rising prices of certain woods, they've, for example, recently replaced the wenge in the necks with jatoba.

Some of the other models have different features - e.g. the SR7xx range have tone blocks in the body. There are also variants with different neck woods - I believe there are SR5xxM models that have a maple neck, rather than jatoba.

Ibanez have recently introduced a 'Premium' range, in which they use high-end components (wenge neck, nordstrand pickups etc) and also have the mid-range selection that the SR5xx now has.

Moving up to the top, the SR Prestige range of basses are Japanese-made (which of course adds a lot to the price), and have more 'nice-to-have' features, such as the power curve mid-range control, which is more of a true parametric mid range control and US-made Bartolini custom pickups.

The one thing with Ibanez that I've found (and also appears to be the case with Yamaha) is that the higher-end instruments really do not retain their value relative to cost, which is surprising as they are incredibly well made instruments for the price and even at the higher-end, you're still getting almost boutique-level quality at less than boutique-level price. I don't understand why they don't retain value.

As such, with £500, you could maybe stretch to one of the older Japanese-made instruments that pop up for sale on here occasionally. You could also get hold of an SR505, SR705 for probably around the £300 mark or maybe even a through-neck SR905 or SR1005 - the latter has the old vari-mid III parametric mid control, that preceded the power curve in the prestige models.

Have a look here: [url="http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/bass_gallery.htm"]Ibanez Register[/url] for more information on specs for some of the older models out there.[/quote]
That's some good info you have there. :)

The Currrent Prestige SRs have the Powercurve III eq & the dearer SRs from the early 90s (such as the SR1000) have the Powercurve I eq.
I've no idea if they ever did a Powercurve II.

If you can get hold of an older Jap model 5er, you wouldn't be disappointed. Infact, it probably doesn't even have to be a Jap one to be excellent!

I was going to get an sr505 about 6 years ago, when I realised with a loan from the bank of dad I could afford a Warwick if I worked my backside off to pay for it, which is what I did. That said, I therefore played a lot of what are now considered 'older' models, and I have to agree with someone above, I never played a bad one. They were all consistently solid and good, and for the price, IMO nothing matches their consistency, save perhaps a Marcus Miller fender 4 string. Thing is, they never blew me away, they always just did the job. Never was a fan of that natural mahogany finish either.

It sounds like the premium series described above fit the bill of good enough but not as pricey as the prestige series. That said, for the money, you can get second hand Warwick corvettes and sandberg basics crop up on here. They will almost certainly be more bass for your money, and probably won't lose anything like as much in depreciation as if you buy a new ibanez. But play them first to see what you think of the necks. My Dean edge has a super thin neck (thinner than an ibanez) I don't know if this applies to the 5th variants but they may be worth considering.

Another great option would be the K5 Korn signature bass. If you can deal with having a pointy-looking 'K5' inlay around the 12th fret and Fieldy's signature on the headstock, these are a great option and there seem to be plenty floating around second hand, both on here and on ebay. You could probably pick one up for around £300-350.

The K5 has two different versions - the original, which was released in the early 2000's and the newer, current production model. Having played both, I personally think the original is superior. The main difference is the body - the original being mahogany with a paduak top and natural finish, while the newer one is just mahogany and has a black-stained finish.

The older model is really just a re-issue of the SR1305 from the mid-90s, but manufactured in Korea rather than Japan. It was the bass that turned me onto the SR basses and I have been in love with them ever since.

The K5 never occured to me. will have to give one a play and see how it is tone wise compared to the others (I find many of the signature guitars - haven't played many sig basses) are pretty limited in the different tones and things they can offer.

Still hunting around on gumtree and ebay etc :)

[quote name='Kes' post='1330671' date='Aug 7 2011, 11:14 AM'][...]

Aye about the whole Ibanez thing, i've been trying loads of different basses recently and haven't found one that i like as much as its equivalent Ibanez...

[...][/quote]

I've not found one that I like as much as my Ibanez. Up until my very nearly finished Warmoth Jazz came along, I only played Ibanez. My SR1205 (older model) is the best bass I have ever played and the SR705 I have is the one which made me realise that 5 strings were for me. I even found that the neck on an Ibanez acoustic guitar was perfect for me too! I can't go wrong!

[quote name='Kes' post='1331372' date='Aug 7 2011, 08:57 PM']The K5 never occured to me. will have to give one a play and see how it is tone wise compared to the others (I find many of the signature guitars - haven't played many sig basses) are pretty limited in the different tones and things they can offer.

Still hunting around on gumtree and ebay etc :)[/quote]

The K5 is VERY versitle i'll let you know! There is/was one in my local and i really liked it, the body and neck are a small percentage smaller than the normal SRs too, and thus a little lighter than those of the same materials in the SR serie,

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1331391' date='Aug 7 2011, 09:16 PM']What's the Ibanez Paul Gray used to play? His bass, not the signature one... I'm assuming there's a difference, mind.[/quote]

google search, website of unknown credibility....

[url="http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/360-slipknot-paul-gray-bass-gear-rig-and-equipment"]http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what...g-and-equipment[/url]

p.s. will try a K5 as soon as I find one in a shop or a sale near me :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1331391' date='Aug 7 2011, 09:16 PM']What's the Ibanez Paul Gray used to play? His bass, not the signature one... I'm assuming there's a difference, mind.[/quote]

He played a Fender Jazz for aaagggess and did untill he died, and stingrays though had a prestige ATK and a Triple coil ATK one, then they gave him a signature as far as i know

[quote name='Kes' post='1330700' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:41 AM']Oh the neck on the ibanez is pretty much the reason I'm looking for a 5 in this range... absolutely lovely. Small hands etc. still spacing enough to slap (on the i think it was 505 and prestige or whichever ones PMT in Manchester had.[/quote]

If you plan on buying without trying then don't get an SRX as they are the wide fingerboard models. The SRs are famous for their slim necks but the SRX is a bit of a beast in comparison

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1331584' date='Aug 8 2011, 12:38 AM']If you plan on buying without trying then don't get an SRX as they are the wide fingerboard models. The SRs are famous for their slim necks but the SRX is a bit of a beast in comparison[/quote]

Cheers for the concern, i've already tried an SRX, it almost feels like i'm playing a fender. i'm not sure if they're 'jumbo' frets but i ain't fond :) which is a shame cos of the sound and look of them with the big chunky pickups (i hope i'm remembering the right bass) i'd love one if it wasn't for the neck.

...don't mind the odd warrick aswell from what i've played but just doesn't quite beat those ibanez SR necks. :) (my god i'm obsessed).

I'm lucky enough to have two recent Prestige models, the SR4005E and SR5000E. The quality and feel of these is the best I have ever seen, much better than supposedly £2k+ basses I have also owned or played.

The necks are very slim which suits my small hands, very light too.

Just had a thought (I was playing a 605&505) today at a shop in camden before heading back up north to where i live...

I've only played these basses on my knee in the shops. while i love them all the lightness of the ash body got me thinking.

especially as i'm looking for a 5 string (coming from playing a 4) what is the neckdive like on these or for that matter other 5 stringers?

is there any? is it manageable or (which i'm assuming it isn't considering the case as the quality of everything else on them) unmanageable requiring a movement of the button to be comfortable...

-edit didn't want to start a new topic as i thought it was running on similar lines...

Edited by Kes