Why become a member? ×

EADGC Tuning

martfitz

I'm thinking of getting a 5 string but tuning it to EADGC, had a 5 string in the past but never really needed the low B much and definitely don't need it now.

Of those of you that have done this did you bother changing the nut or did you just tweak the truss rod and action?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Fitz.

Get a 6 :) even if you don't use the lower register, you can use the B string higher up the neck to save you having to switch fretting hand positions, and for a deeper sound.

Alternatively, do the EADGC thing as it's a cool idea :) you will need to set the intonation and adjust the truss rod. A new nut may also be necessary

Whatever you do, enjoy it! And may it bring you much inspiration

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1329411' date='Aug 6 2011, 12:01 AM']Get a 6 :) even if you don't use the lower register, you can use the B string higher up the neck to save you having to switch fretting hand positions, and for a deeper sound.

Alternatively, do the EADGC thing as it's a cool idea :) you will need to set the intonation and adjust the truss rod. A new nut may also be necessary

Whatever you do, enjoy it! And may it bring you much inspiration[/quote]

I have thought about that but I've got quite small hands so the 6 string might just push me over the edge of where I'm comfortable, as it is I'll probably be looking for a 5 string with a narrower neck.

Sometimes you can switch from B-G to E-C without any issues (major or otherwise), however you may also find that the fret's need dressing or the nut will need replacing or it may just be a general set-up needs tweaking. Obviously it partly depends upon the guage of string you're intending to use.

Yep, did it and love it. I'm going to defret the bass too to really get the most out of it. Didn't need to do anything to the nut but action and truss rod tweaks are a part of life and shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. Get stuck in.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1329726' date='Aug 6 2011, 11:19 AM']Yep, did it and love it. I'm going to defret the bass too to really get the most out of it. Didn't need to do anything to the nut but action and truss rod tweaks are a part of life and shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. Get stuck in.[/quote]

I was thinking of replacing the frets with Mandolin frets, ala Lee Sklar - not that I can play like him mind, and using flatwounds, if I'm going to tinker about with a bass I might as well go the whole hog I guess.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1329596' date='Aug 6 2011, 01:59 AM']Sometimes you can switch from B-G to E-C without any issues (major or otherwise)[/quote]

+1. Try it and see what happens. Worst case you have some buzz and the intonation will be a little off, it won't be irreversible.

If it were me, and I was sure I wanted to stick with the EADGC tuning, I would change the nut and get a setup. BEADG to EADGC is a big change in gauges and you might get some issues from extra-wide nut slots. Also, keep in mind that the EADGC combo will probably have [i]more[/i] tension than a BEADG setup (B strings are, generally, pretty low-tension).

[quote name='XylemBassGuitar' post='1330035' date='Aug 6 2011, 04:34 PM']+1. Try it and see what happens. Worst case you have some buzz and the intonation will be a little off, it won't be irreversible.

If it were me, and I was sure I wanted to stick with the EADGC tuning, I would change the nut and get a setup. BEADG to EADGC is a big change in gauges and you might get some issues from extra-wide nut slots. Also, keep in mind that the EADGC combo will probably have [i]more[/i] tension than a BEADG setup (B strings are, generally, pretty low-tension).[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that, I know I don't need the low B so I might as well do it right, I'm probably looking at using some lighter gauge flatwounds so where the low B would usually be I would imagine be way too wide.

[quote name='XylemBassGuitar' post='1330035' date='Aug 6 2011, 04:34 PM']+1. Try it and see what happens. Worst case you have some buzz and the intonation will be a little off, it won't be irreversible.

If it were me, and I was sure I wanted to stick with the EADGC tuning, I would change the nut and get a setup. BEADG to EADGC is a big change in gauges and you might get some issues from extra-wide nut slots. Also, keep in mind that the EADGC combo will probably have [i]more[/i] tension than a BEADG setup (B strings are, generally, pretty low-tension).[/quote]

Nice looking basses you're making there by the way.

[quote name='martfitz' post='1330389' date='Aug 6 2011, 02:57 PM']Nice looking basses you're making there by the way.[/quote]

Why thank you! I recently finished a 5 string bass for a guy in Chicago and he wanted it strung up EADGC so I thought I'd get in on this discussion. I played the bass a bit before I sent it to him and found that I really like a 5er tuned EADGC, it's a pretty sweet setup.

[quote name='XylemBassGuitar' post='1330995' date='Aug 7 2011, 03:31 PM']Why thank you! I recently finished a 5 string bass for a guy in Chicago and he wanted it strung up EADGC so I thought I'd get in on this discussion. I played the bass a bit before I sent it to him and found that I really like a 5er tuned EADGC, it's a pretty sweet setup.[/quote]

That's what I'm hoping, it's always nice to get the advice of other people that have done it. Thought I would try it on something mid-range-ish first, if I did it on a cheap 5 string and I liked it then I'd only end up doing it on a more expensive bass, which I still might end up doing afterwards if I find it suits me. (Must try to resist another custom bass - well at least this year anyway :) )

• 1 month later...

[quote name='martfitz' timestamp='1312616795' post='1329590']
I have thought about that but I've got quite small hands so the 6 string might just push me over the edge of where I'm comfortable, as it is I'll probably be looking for a 5 string with a narrower neck.
[/quote]

Gibson Les Paul 5 string bass has a pretty narrow neck for a 5 string... which is why I am struggling with it!

Anyone interested in one of these - 1994 vintage sunburst. Beautiful looking active bartolini pups etc?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1312585262' post='1329411']
Get a 6 even if you don't use the lower register, you can use the B string higher up the neck to save you having to switch fretting hand positions, and for a deeper sound.

Alternatively, do the EADGC thing as it's a cool idea you will need to set the intonation and adjust the truss rod. A new nut may also be necessary

Whatever you do, enjoy it! And may it bring you much inspiration
[/quote]
Use the B as a thumb-rest!!!
If you choose a "high-fiver", Do consider tuning it DGCFBb (all down a tone (I think that's right)) That covers a [i]lot[/i] of contemporary music..

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1316718205' post='1381985']
Use the B as a thumb-rest!!!
If you choose a "high-fiver", Do consider tuning it DGCFBb (all down a tone (I think that's right)) That covers a [i]lot[/i] of contemporary music..
[/quote]
I like that tuning, and if you wanna get low, you can do a drop tuning, and get low C, heh, C-G-C-F-Bb, best of a 6er's range there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read this thread and it has inspired me to go out, buy a .35 C string and re string my MM SR5 as EADGC - my band play in drop D so I have always tuned ADADG. The new tuning is awesome!! I wish I had done it sooner.. I am making use of all strings now as before I was ignoring the low A string. I can get some real melodic lines using that C. By the way so far I have had no issues with the nut or truss rod.