Why become a member? ×

Buying bass parts in the UK

BottomE

I just wondered where you all get bass parts from in the UK. I recently needed to buy a standard US Precision pickup and four machine heads for a Presicion neck. Given that it is probably one of the most common basses around why is it so difficult to get these from local or national suppliers? The pickup was available "to order" from 3 local Fender dealers at a cost higher than buying in from Germany with £10 postage. The machine heads - standard on all new US P basses have proved impossible to find - the only local shop that could be bothered to help assumed that the bass was stolen and broken up for bits. They just wanted the serial numer so that they could check it on a list somewhere. Whilst i applaud the fact that they are looking after musicians i did resent the assumption that i was someone who may have been buying stolen guitars and am frustrated that none of the 3 authorised dealers could supply any of the parts or even give a guaranteed delivery time.

Is this just bad luck or a sign of the times?

Due to the recession fewer shops are carrying stock - those which do have stock have probably had it for a while. I think that most people shop for parts on eBay nowadays anyway. I'm pretty sure you could have got the parts you were looking for there.

Seems like a sign of the times that we shop on line rather than walking through doors..

[quote name='BottomE' post='1328795' date='Aug 5 2011, 02:56 PM']I just wondered where you all get bass parts from in the UK. I recently needed to buy a standard US Precision pickup and four machine heads for a Presicion neck. Given that it is probably one of the most common basses around why is it so difficult to get these from local or national suppliers? The pickup was available "to order" from 3 local Fender dealers at a cost higher than buying in from Germany with £10 postage. The machine heads - standard on all new US P basses have proved impossible to find - the only local shop that could be bothered to help assumed that the bass was stolen and broken up for bits. They just wanted the serial numer so that they could check it on a list somewhere. Whilst i applaud the fact that they are looking after musicians i did resent the assumption that i was someone who may have been buying stolen guitars and am frustrated that none of the 3 authorised dealers could supply any of the parts or even give a guaranteed delivery time.

Is this just bad luck or a sign of the times?[/quote]

I have a set of P type machine heads deep in a cupboard, might be Gotoh, I'll have a look if you're interested?

I wouldn't even think about trying to get parts for anything from a UK high street retailer. Always go on line and, unless it's very simple like a jack socket, assume I'll have to get it from the US.

It isn't just bass stuff. I've lost count of the number of times I've come back from the shops empty handed and bought whatever it was from Amazon. Life's too short to waste walking or driving between stores looking for one that has anything you'd want to buy in stock with an assistant who knows what they're selling.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1328842' date='Aug 5 2011, 03:28 PM']Due to the recession fewer shops are carrying stock - those which do have stock have probably had it for a while. I think that most people shop for parts on eBay nowadays anyway. I'm pretty sure you could have got the parts you were looking for there.

Seems like a sign of the times that we shop on line rather than walking through doors..[/quote]
You are probably right - though personally i like going into shops and having a good browse sniff and touch. I am surprised though at not being able to get stock parts for a Precision bass. If theres one thing you might keep in stock it would be for perhaps the most popular bass in the world.

And how do these shops plan to carry on without stock? If they don't stock anything they why don't they become an internet retailer instead and forget the high street?

I did try Allparts who have promised to get back to me. The guy on the phone was good and knew what i was after but was pessimistic about my chances :-(

I have ordered the machine heads via Ebay USA. Even with postage they work out about £30 cheaper than ordering from the UK with a supplier who cannot give a delivery time!

[quote name='BottomE' post='1328852' date='Aug 5 2011, 03:33 PM']If theres one thing you might keep in stock it would be for perhaps the most popular bass in the world.[/quote]

And one reason for this popularity is that the original parts are good enough and reliable enough to not require replacing that often.

That's two reasons of course!

A couple of years ago I had a go at making up a Fender Precision replica.Ordered the F backplate online from e bay,got a decal from a site in America,pickups again from e bay...the body and neck came from...yes,e bay. Whilst on a short visit to London,I visited Denmark Street and searched every single music shop,looking for a set of knurled knobs in chrome to finish the bass....no chance! Guess where I git them from in the end.......It's little wonder that the music shops are going down the drain these days....

i guess i must be a little luckier than some, i live just 10 minutes from the bass doc, popped in on tuesday and came away with all the bits i needed to finish my build,
are you trying to get branded fender parts or just parts to fit? i'd say that fender branded parts would be harder to get.

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' post='1329996' date='Aug 6 2011, 03:37 PM']i guess i must be a little luckier than some, i live just 10 minutes from the bass doc, popped in on tuesday and came away with all the bits i needed to finish my build,
are you trying to get branded fender parts or just parts to fit? i'd say that fender branded parts would be harder to get.

Matt[/quote]
Hi Matt

Yes it was branded Fender parts i was looking for - in particular the machine heads as they are the screwless type. I don't want to drill into a lovely US Precision neck i bought that has had this type of tuner removed.

All done now and awaiting delivery.