Why become a member? ×

Orange AD200B

thebassman

Hi guys
I am really wanting an Orange AD200, they seem a reasonable price, especially 2nd hand.
What is the best cab pairing for one of these.
I am not too worried about weight/size, although a single cab 4x10 is the most i would want to carry about.

How would the 2x12 cabs fair, I remember from Alex's previous threads he said you need a lot of power to drive the 2x12T, i guess 200 watts wouldn't cut it.
I have a Fender bassman 135 and although the tone is excellent, it can get lost in the mix, especially on the louder stuff, think Foo fighters, QOTSA etc.

I play a lot of large pub gigs and a few out door summer events, no pa support. At the moment my Mesa M6 paired with a Mesa 2x12 more than copes.

Any ideas, user experiences would be good.

cheers

thebassman

Edited by thebassman

i have a stack of glockenklang cabinets (quadro and duo) and of orange cabinets (obc410 and 115) aswell. the orange sounds completly different with these. with the glock cabinets is sounds very hifi, lots of fat bass and crisp highs, almost like a solid state amp, whereas with the orange cabinets there is also very much bottom but also lots of mids and gritt. much less top end.

i like both and can´t say which i like more. the orange cabinets suit perfect for rock´n roll but are somewhat limited, especially if you play a passive bass since the eq on the orange top is somewhat limited. it´s a bit like a one-trick-pony, but what a trick! if i need a versatile sound for cover music i go with the glockenklang cabinets.

i´d try it with the mesa cabinet of yours, maybe it´s the golden middle.

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1320036' date='Jul 29 2011, 08:20 AM']A fender bassman 135 head? Been after one of them badboys for a while. Ive got the matching 2x15 cab[/quote]

Probably not matching anymore.
I had this amp rebuilt a year back, mainly nos caps, resistors etc. Even replaced the old point to point wax boards.
I had it re-covered in Marshall red tolex, looks awesome and always raises a few eyebrows at the Fender bash.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1320385' date='Jul 29 2011, 01:05 PM']A pair of Barefaced Bass Compact cabs will sort you right out!
I run my Mesa Boogie 400+ through a pair and it all sounds as good as it should :)[/quote]

I don't think you can do this on a AD200, it has a single 8ohm output and then 2 4ohm outputs.
Unless the compacts can be run in serial.

I used to own a Boogie 400+ and the speaker combinations we endless.

I might email Alex and see whet he says about running this with a S12T, he told me my bassman 135 wasn't loud enough to power it. I know the AD200 has an extra 65 watts, but is still fairly low power compared to the new lightweight amps.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='1320437' date='Jul 29 2011, 01:45 PM']I don't think you can do this on a AD200, it has a single 8ohm output and then 2 4ohm outputs.
Unless the compacts can be run in serial.

I used to own a Boogie 400+ and the speaker combinations we endless.

I might email Alex and see whet he says about running this with a S12T, he told me my bassman 135 wasn't loud enough to power it. I know the AD200 has an extra 65 watts, but is still fairly low power compared to the new lightweight amps.

cheers

thebassman[/quote]

Keep us posted on the 2x12 option with Alex.. The AD200 should be more than enough as it's valve not SS..

Edited by algmusic

I've heard good things about the SVT driving a Super Twelve, despite my scepticism about valve amps! Replacing an Ampeg 410HLF, to quote "I gigged with it last night and have to say it sounded amazing! such a fat, warm, punchy and crystal clear sound, my SVT has never sounded so good".

And following another gig, "I gigged with the 2x12 last night and have to say I am well impressed with the sound, wasn't expecting so much warmth from a a pair 12's in a cab so light. I've played at this venue many times with various cabs, in fact I played there last week with my Ampeg 410, so I've got a good basis for comparison, your cab sounded tighter and more focussed, bags of bottom end & punch. I noticed that my amp volume was quite a bit lower than usual too, this cab is loud!"

I think what I said about your Bassman was that it wouldn't be loud enough for the gigs you described although I may have overlooked how dirty a sound you like - the more overdrive you like, the less power you need. However that restriction is pretty much common to all similar sized cabs, that's why valve amps are often found on BIG cabs!

[quote name='thebassman' post='1320437' date='Jul 29 2011, 01:45 PM']I don't think you can do this on a AD200, it has a single 8ohm output and then 2 4ohm outputs.
Unless the compacts can be run in serial.[/quote]

AD200B has connections for:

1 x 8-ohm speaker - labeelled 8-ohm

or

2 x 8-ohm speakers - these are confusingly labelled 4-ohms because 2 x 8-ohm cabs = 4-ohms.

[quote name='obbm' post='1321131' date='Jul 30 2011, 10:24 AM']AD200B has connections for:

1 x 8-ohm speaker - labeelled 8-ohm

or

2 x 8-ohm speakers - these are confusingly labelled 4-ohms because 2 x 8-ohm cabs = 4-ohms.[/quote]

That does make more sense.
I guess it's true what they say "don't believe everything you read on the Internet" I got the info from a page on some guys website.

So is it possible to connect 2 * 4 ohm cabs, either directly or using a different cable set up?
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='1321211' date='Jul 30 2011, 12:04 PM']That does make more sense.
I guess it's true what they say "don't believe everything you read on the Internet" I got the info from a page on some guys website.

So is it possible to connect 2 * 4 ohm cabs, either directly or using a different cable set up?
Cheers
Thebassman[/quote]

You can't connect them directly. You need a special cable which puts the cabs in series i.e. 4 + 4 ohms and plug into the 8-ohm output.. As far as the amp is concerned it's an 8-ohm speaker.

[quote name='thebassman' post='1321208' date='Jul 30 2011, 12:01 PM']Have you got a link or some details, I am definately in the Market for one.[/quote]

Here's a link to my Ampeg 6x10 - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=148178&st=0&p=1319901&#entry1319901"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1319901[/url]

Someone did PM last night saying they wanted it, but they haven't got back to me yet.... So if they do confirm, it may be going soon.

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1321223' date='Jul 30 2011, 12:19 PM']Here's a link to my Ampeg 6x10 - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=148178&st=0&p=1319901&#entry1319901"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1319901[/url]

Someone did PM last night saying they wanted it, but they haven't got back to me yet.... So if they do confirm, it may be going soon.[/quote]

Thanks for the link, doesn't look much like an Orange AD200 though. Nice looking Matamp setup.

cheers

thebassman