Why become a member? ×

Orange AD200B

thebassman

[quote name='Sandmann' post='1320059' date='Jul 29 2011, 08:54 AM']i have a stack of glockenklang cabinets (quadro and duo) and of orange cabinets (obc410 and 115) aswell. the orange sounds completly different with these. with the glock cabinets is sounds very hifi, lots of fat bass and crisp highs, almost like a solid state amp, whereas with the orange cabinets there is also very much bottom but also lots of mids and gritt. much less top end.

i like both and can´t say which i like more. the orange cabinets suit perfect for rock´n roll but are somewhat limited, especially if you play a passive bass since the eq on the orange top is somewhat limited. it´s a bit like a one-trick-pony, but what a trick! if i need a versatile sound for cover music i go with the glockenklang cabinets.

i´d try it with the mesa cabinet of yours, maybe it´s the golden middle.[/quote]

Thought I would share my experience.
Being the impatient guy I am, I went to audition an Orange ad200 yesterday evening.
I took my Mesa 2x12 and stingray 5, I was like a kid in a sweetshop.
I plugged in turned up the volume and was completely devastated, this combination was the worst sound I think I have ever heard. I messed around with the gain, volume and tone controls trying to dial in a nice sound, but failed miserably. I was so pi**ed off.
I did try the ad200 with the guys obc410 and that sounded better, but still not what I was looking for really, and I don't want to change my amp and cab, the 4*10 was like moving a house.

Just another note, the guy had a Ricky blue boy and that sounded awesome through his orange setup, but still a bit ropey through my 2*12.

So the moral of this story is, not all high gear works together, make sure you try before you buy.

I am now looking for a pedal to add a bit of valve colour to my sound.

Thanks for all your comments

Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='1322032' date='Jul 31 2011, 11:27 AM']Thought I would share my experience.
Being the impatient guy I am, I went to audition an Orange ad200 yesterday evening.
I took my Mesa 2x12 and stingray 5, I was like a kid in a sweetshop.
I plugged in turned up the volume and was completely devastated, this combination was the worst sound I think I have ever heard. I messed around with the gain, volume and tone controls trying to dial in a nice sound, but failed miserably. I was so pi**ed off.
I did try the ad200 with the guys obc410 and that sounded better, but still not what I was looking for really, and I don't want to change my amp and cab, the 4*10 was like moving a house.

Just another note, the guy had a Ricky blue boy and that sounded awesome through his orange setup, but still a bit ropey through my 2*12.

So the moral of this story is, not all high gear works together, make sure you try before you buy.

I am now looking for a pedal to add a bit of valve colour to my sound.

Thanks for all your comments

Thebassman[/quote]

Dude just get a Sansamp !!!!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1323352' date='Aug 1 2011, 06:22 PM']One thing to remember is that the AD200 is not flat with the knobs at noon - sounds best to me with treble at 10 o'clock, mids at 12, and bass at 2 o'clock.[/quote]

Believe me i wanted to like this amp, i have been gassing over one for years.

I spent a good half hour os so going through various gain/ volume/ tone settings.
Even the guy who's amp it was said it sounded horrible through my cab.

Don't get me wrong, i am not trolling this amp. The sound the guy got from his ad200/ orange 4*10 and his ricky totally blew me away.

I just don't really want to start swapping amps and cabs about, can't really afford to at the moment.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='dan670844' post='1322998' date='Aug 1 2011, 12:48 PM']Dude just get a Sansamp !!!![/quote]

Which model are we talking?
The Tech 21 VT bass sounds promising. I have read some great reviews and am very tempted.
Why are they so damn expensive?

cheers

thebassman