Why become a member? ×

Bass strap height...

GBass

[quote name='Doddy' post='1319320' date='Jul 28 2011, 02:07 PM']But now we're on the difference between rehearsing and practising.[/quote]

Rehearsing is when you do it properly with only a couple of beers. Practising is when you piss about and have lots of beers and end up playing elongated versions of your own songs which then morph into other bands songs which you think sound cool at the time but in fact sound really crap when you listen back to the recordings :)

I wear mine high I guess...About the same as when I sit to when I stand and it's very useful for keeping a 6-string bass tame, as well as causing that "tilt" I speak about on here when pressed against your body. (The bass tilts towards you as opposed to being flat).
Makes finger style, tapping and slapping (parallel) extremely easy to me and results in zero wrist pain.

As for looks...I play technical and progressive death metal, amongst other things...No one says a word.
Seriously, unless you find it comfortable, the whole "axe around your ankles" is cliché, even in metal.

Horses for courses. :-)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1319324' date='Jul 28 2011, 02:10 PM']Rehearsing is when you do it properly with only a couple of beers. Practising is when you piss about and have lots of beers and end up playing elongated versions of your own songs which then morph into other bands songs which you think sound cool at the time but in fact sound really crap when you listen back to the recordings :lol:[/quote]

:) :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1319313' date='Jul 28 2011, 01:58 PM']But,if you are practicing material out of a book like 'The Evolving Bassist' or 'Chord Studies'(for example)
rather than rehearsing songs,you don't really want to be standing up for,say,3-4 hours.[/quote]
[quote name='Doddy' post='1319320' date='Jul 28 2011, 02:07 PM']But now we're on the difference between rehearsing and practising.[/quote]
I don't really make the the distinction between what you call practising and rehearsing. Everything that I work on has a definite goal in that it will form part of a piece of music that I am writing with a view to performing. Therefore it makes most sense to me to always play it in the manner that I finally intend to perform it.

Maybe we should start a new thread about where practice ends and rehearsal begins?

I guess I'm Medium, mainly due to comfort. As many have said, if you sound good, nobody really cares where it's slung. I have noticed a couple of pics of myself in the past where it was a bit too medium though....bordering on Cowell at times!

Anyway, as a newbie, the least I can do is put an out of focus picture of my typical strap length in the thread....

[attachment=85988:MM_Bass.jpg]

Medium, with an extra large bassface. I thought goatee beards were supposed to hide double chins?

[attachment=86001:rfhs11.jpg]

I was watching these vids the other day and noticed this bassist had his bass slung in a rather low and almost parallel to the ground kind of way:

but in the same set he plays something a lot (!) more complicated and wears it much higher

So presumably the first position is purely an affectation, which seems pretty silly IMO.

Anyone know who he is BTW?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1318913' date='Jul 28 2011, 03:02 AM']I'm one of those fools who put cred over comfort ... although I find it perfectly comfortable.

(sorry it's late and I can't find an in focus (or recent) pic)[/quote]

never mind the playing position - that is the coolest avatar pic on here!

depends what im playing, medium to low, im 6 foot 4 so its quite difficult to find straps that go to my knees!

also depends what bass im playing! if im playing with a pick and using my MM i tend to have it a bit lower but if its my P bass with fingers then i play higher.

not for any reason

• 1 month later...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRhY8BY3b8Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRhY8BY3b8Y[/url]

This is where I have mine. Yes i'm sitting down but the strap is set the same height when I stand. It's a matter of personal comfort for each person really. Most good players have the bass on the high side but not always. I watched some videos of TM Stevens and he has it sort of middly ??

cheers

Al.