Why become a member? ×

$24,000 Fender 62 Jazz bass.

bubinga5

My lord.. if this overpriced i dont care.. what a fantastic bass.... if i had the spare cash i would love it.... bit confused with the controls though?

[url="http://www.edroman.com/detail_sheets/fender_jbass_d746.html"]http://www.edroman.com/detail_sheets/fender_jbass_d746.html[/url]

[quote name='walbassist' post='1305793' date='Jul 16 2011, 01:12 PM']I am no vintage Fender expert, but i) I thought '62s were all stack knobs, and ii) shouldn't the "offset contour body " transfer be on the ball of the headstock?[/quote]
The contour body can be next to the jazz bass logo.. but im confused about the knobs... cant see someone trying to get away with a $24,000 fake though..

[quote name='BassBod' post='1305832' date='Jul 16 2011, 01:36 PM']I'd have to go for carbon dating. Actually...I'd have three or four basses made by the Fender Custom shop vintage master-elves...or whatever they call themselves now. And I'd drink the change.[/quote] :)

[quote name='bh2' post='1306061' date='Jul 16 2011, 05:12 PM']Completely over the top price wise...

Knobs are not original... his prices are a bit on the high side, if you look at the 73 P Bass.

You can have my 62 Jazz for £10,000, how's that?[/quote]i want pics now!!

[quote name='silddx' post='1305867' date='Jul 16 2011, 03:02 PM']I've heard nothing positive about Ed Roman. He's been described as an arsehole a number of times.

It does look lovely though. Stack knobs were metal so these may be transition model knobs before they introduced the plastic ones perhaps?[/quote]

Pretty sure they went straight to the bakerlite ones we're used to seeing.

I suppose it's possible that since it's a custom colour the buyer also specified metal knobs at the time of purchase?

But they've probably been changed, and since the ad clearly says "Everything appears to be original including pickguard, pots [b]knobs[/b] electronics etc etc." I'd be suspicious of the other bits too.

[quote name='silddx' post='1305867' date='Jul 16 2011, 03:02 PM']....I've heard nothing positive about Ed Roman. He's been described as an arsehole a number of times....[/quote]
Me too, but does that make him a crook?

Early custom colours in "good" condition are rare which is why these basses are expensive. Also they've moved on and their purpose now is for collecting not playing.

If you don't know your knobs from you elbows you're probably not going to spend that sort of money on a bass. The lengths that collectors will go to ensure that what they are buying is correct would, I imagine, rule out something as silly as wrong knobs on a $24,000 bass.

The neck has all signs for being original, though the date stamp needs to be checked. The body, though, looks like a 80s gold (anniversary) model. If the ashtray is removed there should be four holes visible which have been used tomount the damperbridge (included with all 62s). What puzzles me most is that the pickguard screws are not bent. Tortoise pickguards of this vintage all have shrunk and hence bent the screws. Certainly the instrument isn´t a player. It shows not enough wear for an instrument that age. Usually there´s reason that it´s not played excessively, soundquality might be on of them.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1306115' date='Jul 16 2011, 07:43 PM']Me too, but does that make him a crook?

Early custom colours in "good" condition are rare which is why these basses are expensive. Also they've moved on and their purpose now is for collecting not playing.

If you don't know your knobs from you elbows you're probably not going to spend that sort of money on a bass. The lengths that collectors will go to ensure that what they are buying is correct would, I imagine, rule out something as silly as wrong knobs on a $24,000 bass.[/quote]

The bass looks right to me, the knobs are clearly not original, and the fact that he states they are, mean you'd have to question his knowledge. To be honest though, anyone spending $24k on a bass, would know their onions, and would carry out all neccessary checks before buying, if the knobs were the only issue, then that wouldnt put a collector off, as you can source those reasonably easily. I think $24k is high though, but they dont turn up, so little benchmark, so you advertise it high, and see what reaction you get. The top collectors will be aware of it, and will enquire regardless, so it will sell at the 'right' price anyway.

3 knob J's staretd in November '61, and the last dated stack knob I've seen is August '62, so a long transition period. '61 3-knobs are very sought after. there are many fake '62 stack knobs out there though. When demand grew for stackers in the late eighties, people bought 3 knob slab boards, and sourced stack knob controls, and put them in. This is difficult to prove, which is why '60/'61 stack knobs are worth far more than '62's, especially veneer board examples!!

This is a very rare bass though, and worthy of a high 'starting' price.

As stated by above, these basses are not for taking down the nag's head for jam night. They are collectors pieces to be played, and enjoyed. Same as any rare, collectible item. You wouldnt use a Ferrari 250GT California for the school run would you, does that mean its a waste?, not at all, it should be cherished and looked after, and used sensibly, and with care.

If you have $24k to spend on a vintage Jazz, then this is the one. Condition is simply stunning, this is the real deal, and Holy grail of Jazz's.

[url="http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-jazz-bass-concentric-stac-1961-sunburs"]http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-jazz-bass...ac-1961-sunburs[/url]

Looks really nice. It's a shame that you can't trust the seller. These basses are more of an investment than for actually being played; like a piece of fine art. You may be able to find a picture that has been painted just as well but if it's not by a famous artist of great provenance then it's not worth nearly as much.