Why become a member? ×

Batteries

Mikeg

My ibanez chews through batteries quite fast, it always has, maybe like 3-5 months. But lately its been 3-4 weeks!
9v's are expensive so im thinking of rechargeables.
Anyone had this? Or is there somthing wrong with the preamp in my bass?
The preamp is a bartolini one that came with it.
Cheers
Mike

I did some research on MM Stingrays when looking to buy one after many years of playing a P bass, and come across the importance of unplugging the amplifier lead to save battery life! Glad I did, or I,d be on a battery a week!!

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1305134' date='Jul 15 2011, 08:31 PM']I've never had an active bass, so I'm just thinking out loud really, but why can't such things be phantom-powered like many microphones?[/quote]

I think some are, although I've never seen one, and I've never seen an amp with a powered XLR or TRS input either for that matter.

I suppose the consensus was that it's easier to deal with replacing the odd battery than supplying power down a cable.

The thing thats a pain, is when your battery goes you get no sound at all (or is that just my bass?) is there a way of putting a passive circuit in to by-pass the pre-amp

Edited by wez

I've got a box of 10 of these

[url="http://www.buyabattery.co.uk/paintball-9v-batteries-alkaline-duracell-procell-mn1604-p-1730.html?osCsid=4d54b12f5182e7d331913276f4562534"]9 volt jobbies.[/url]

£7.40 a box & they're the equivalent of a Duracell Ultra.

(link nicked from the rechargable battery thread)

[quote name='wez' post='1305219' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:43 PM']The thing thats a pain, is when your battery goes you get no sound at all (or is that just my bass?) is there a way of putting a passive circuit in to by-pass the pre-amp[/quote]
Some folk swear by changing them on their wedding anniversary or birthday etc, Once a year seems to work without issue for even the most regular players. I tend to do strings and battery every 6 months or so as a matter of course.

Some basses do have a push pull for passive mode too.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1305238' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:52 PM']Some folk swear by changing them on their wedding anniversary or birthday etc, Once a year seems to work without issue for even the most regular players. I tend to do strings and battery every 6 months or so as a matter of course.

Some basses do have a push pull for passive mode too.[/quote]
Changed my battery last night at practice when it started to sound like a blown speaker in the amp. Unfortunately my bass doesn't have a passive switch, so it may mean me buying another bass, just in case you understand :)

Edited by wez

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1305121' date='Jul 15 2011, 08:20 PM']I did some research on MM Stingrays when looking to buy one after many years of playing a P bass, and come across the importance of unplugging the amplifier lead to save battery life! Glad I did, or I,d be on a battery a week!![/quote]

+1 for unplugging, but TBH I leave my Stingray plugged in from soundcheck to end of a gig, and never had problems with battery
draining yet. (Of course tonight its now going to prove me wrong!) Wish there was a way of using the Ray in passive mode though,just in case.

My old Fender Precision Lyte was the opposite though - used to eat batteries so I had to remember to unplug.
Eventually I had a mod done to remedy this, which didnt cost that much and saved me a fortune in Duracells.

I wish my Ray had a passive switch too. Both my Sandbergs had it and it saved my butt once or twice when the battery died mid-gig. It's a great emergency backup.

Re-the phantom power. I think it's been covered before and it has been tried but not enough bass or amp manufacturers took it on to make it worth it and also it means that wireless systems can't be used. Also if for some reason you want pedals before your amp, it would't work or would get messy.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1305862' date='Jul 16 2011, 02:57 PM']Re-the phantom power. I think it's been covered before and it has been tried but not enough bass or amp manufacturers took it on to make it worth it and also it means that wireless systems can't be used. Also if for some reason you want pedals before your amp, it would't work or would get messy.[/quote]
AFAIK a certain BC member is having a bass built with just such a system as we speak! The onboard batteries take over if used without the brain I beleive for jam nights and stuff where you need to plug and play into someone else's rig etc Its not my reveal so I will see if he/she wants to comment at this stage or wait for the whole bass to be done (its close anyway) :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977