Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy 5 string for around £350-£400

Raslee

Just about to get a new Barefaced cab and then i shall be on the hunt for a 5 string (again). Having got over the recent financial difficulties which witnessed me parting with my beloved Lakland JO5 to survive i am now looking to get something to fill that gap, almost . The Lakalnd in many way was the perfect 5 but i cannot justify spending that amount on a 5 string bass these days and my budget is fixed after getting my cab.

So far i've been looking at second hand G&L L2500's that fit the price range but i am also very intrigued by these new Warwick Rockbasses on eBay from the U.S.A...not sure which one but probably the Fortress or the Corvette with the latter being marginally cheaper-anyone got any experience of these basses? It's hard to find reviews on them too, especially about the B strings!!!.

I've also read a few reviews about the MIM Fender Jazzes which have not tempted me, flappy B's etc but i do really like Jazz basses; my only 4 string now is a jazz. I play mainly reggae, ska, dub & some funk & rock occasionally; i play a lot of covers too where versatility is useful. In the past Ii've tried the 5 string cricket bat basses too which are great for reggae but again flappy B syndrome...the Lakland had the best B i think i've ever tried but am aware thats probably due to the 35" scale.

Any thoughts or recommendations my fellow bass brethren ? :)

Edited by Rasta

Mate if you like Jazz basses why not get the MIM, change the strings to a tighter kind..like the hex core, DR low riders.. and add some more focused pups..i did this to a 5 string jazz and it worked.. those strings mad a big difference to a more focussed tone on the B.. will tighten up the B no doubt... i know you have had a JO before but the 55-01 has a great B.. especially with some FatStacks... Or maybe a Korean made MTD..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='dc2009' post='1304573' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:36 AM']For that money you could get a second hand German made Warwick Corvette or Fortress. I unequivocally advise getting one of these.[/quote]

Really, i've not seen any Warwick 5 er's below £400...i'll keep my eye out - there is a Corvette on eBay but its going to be a few weeks before i'm financially in the game. :)

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1304669' date='Jul 15 2011, 12:51 PM']Lakland 55-01... *SHAMELESS PLUG MODE ON* see my sig *SHAMELESS PLUG MODE OFF*[/quote]
ah, yummy....pics ?

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1304589' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:45 AM']Mate if you like Jazz basses why not get the MIM, change the strings to a tighter kind..like the hex core, DR low riders.. and add some more focused pups..i did this to a 5 string jazz and it worked.. those strings mad a big difference to a more focussed tone on the B.. will tighten up the B no doubt... i know you have had a JO before but the 55-01 has a great B.. especially with some FatStacks... Or maybe a Korean made MTD..[/quote]
That's great advice on the strings mate, never tried DR Low riders...do they do them in flat wounds?, i've got some Labella flats at the mo and they're wonderful. I'll have to look up the Korean MTD's. :)

Yeah, MIM Jazz's are great! The B perhaps not as focused as a £1000 5er, but as Bubinga5 recommended, fit some DR's, some better pickups (I went for a J-East Pre-amp instead) and the result is fantastic! I got mine in a trade worth £300 and spent £100 on the pre and I have a great sounding, great looking, comfortable bass.

Truckstop

[quote name='Rasta' post='1304817' date='Jul 15 2011, 03:36 PM']Really, i've not seen any Warwick 5 er's below £400...i'll keep my eye out - there is a Corvette on eBay but its going to be a few weeks before i'm financially in the game. :)[/quote]

I've seen a coupla 5er fortresses go at 350/400ish, usually without any bids on them!

Corvettes can be a bit more but possibly worth it, depending on what you're after.

If you want to save up a bit over double what you've got :), I might be in the market to offload mine if the guy in the FS forum wants to sell me his special edition lol.

I see now why you PM'd me, good luck anyway!

[quote name='Rasta' post='1304483' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:39 AM']Just about to get a new Barefaced cab and then i shall be on the hunt for a 5 string (again). Having got over the recent financial difficulties which witnessed me parting with my beloved Lakland JO5 to survive i am now looking to get something to fill that gap, almost . The Lakalnd in many way was the perfect 5 but i cannot justify spending that amount on a 5 string bass these days and my budget is fixed after getting my cab.

So far i've been looking at second hand G&L L2500's that fit the price range but i am also very intrigued by these new Warwick Rockbasses on eBay from the U.S.A...not sure which one but probably the Fortress or the Corvette with the latter being marginally cheaper-anyone got any experience of these basses? It's hard to find reviews on them too, especially about the B strings!!!.

I've also read a few reviews about the MIM Fender Jazzes which have not tempted me, flappy B's etc but i do really like Jazz basses; my only 4 string now is a jazz. I play mainly reggae, ska, dub & some funk & rock occasionally; i play a lot of covers too where versatility is useful. In the past Ii've tried the 5 string cricket bat basses too which are great for reggae but again flappy B syndrome...the Lakland had the best B i think i've ever tried but am aware thats probably due to the 35" scale.

Any thoughts or recommendations my fellow bass brethren ? :)[/quote]

I'd like to add: try a Squier Jazz V DeLuxe.

Yes, really.

Put your prejudices aside, and just try it. :)

It has a wide fretboard (19mm string spacing at the bridge, just like a 4-string), but I find it very comfortable. I love mine, it feels good and plays really well.
The downside? I think the pickups are a little "polite". But I paid £170 for mine, used... so there's a bit of money left for upgrades!
I mostly play it just with the bridge pickup, which is positioned at the same spot as a MM pickup in a Stingray, not at the usual jazz spot), and it's very meaty.
The preamp is not the best ever, but it's very capable too.

I own 5-string basses, all within your budget:

MusicMan SUB5. Great neck, great sound.
G&L L2500 Tribute series. A real beast in every way. Fantastic bass.
Squier Jazz V DeLuxe. This is my favourite. Seriously, check it out.

[quote name='Rasta' post='1304818' date='Jul 15 2011, 02:38 PM']That's great advice on the strings mate, never tried DR Low riders...do they do them in flat wounds?, i've got some Labella flats at the mo and they're wonderful. I'll have to look up the Korean MTD's. :)[/quote]
i dont think so mate.. but generally, look out for Hex core strings rather than round core.. there a tighter string as the inner core slides with the wrap much less.. god im a geek

also those pickups used on MIM jazz basses can sound a bit dull.. a non expensive custom pickup will tighten things up also

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='sime17' post='1308461' date='Jul 18 2011, 09:39 PM']Dude - there's a Tribute L2500 on here for sale at the mo - guess how much? £350! Buy it before I do ffs! :)[/quote]
Yes i was semi interested in that one, looks nice, but i'm a sucker for my Laklands and am taking Bigwan up on his 5501 which ticks all the boxes for me :)

[quote name='Vinny' post='1304526' date='Jul 15 2011, 11:00 AM']I reckon you could do a lot worse than a Cirrus for that money, but as ever I am not qualified to speak about anything ever and should be ignored.[/quote]

Shameless plug.......

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145330"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145330[/url]

G.