Why become a member? ×

Reading Music at a Gig

waynepunkdude

Generally I'm looking a bar or two ahead of where I'm playing(unless it's a super tricky bit),so I can
see if I've got a note that I can hold or if I can play an open string,and turn before the bar is over.Sometimes though
you just have to be really quick with it,especially if the page turn is in the middle of a phrase.As daft as it sounds,it's worth practising
it for a bit,just to make sure you can do it comfortably.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1304045' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:54 PM']Another silly question, do you use your fretting or picking hand?[/quote]

Picking hand. It's nearest to the page and I can hold a note down or tap while I do it.

Another thing is to make a Music stand extension. [and paint it black]
A thin bit of hardboard or sim, with a wedge on the bottom that will then sit on the music stand.
If i have been on a show with 4/5/6 page charts this has come in really handy.
Its not un common to use one in pit work.
Someone gave me a pre made one about 10 years ago, and it has seen plenty of action, by myself and others :)

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1304096' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:26 PM']Another thing is to make a Music stand extension. [and paint it black]
A thin bit of hardboard or sim, with a wedge on the bottom that will then sit on the music stand.
If i have been on a show with 4/5/6 page charts this has come in really handy.
Its not un common to use one in pit work.
Someone gave me a pre made one about 10 years ago, and it has seen plenty of action, by myself and others :)

Garry[/quote]

Or two music stands. Seriously! Less likely to fall over.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1304120' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:40 PM']Or two music stands. Seriously! Less likely to fall over.[/quote]

Mine has never fallen over, and its much easier to carry around.
Plus i can't go into a pit demanding two stands ... :)
But i can take my extension in [Female Musicians love that]

Garry

extra wide music stand like this - [url="http://www.djmmusic.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=KM-10041"]http://www.djmmusic.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=KM-10041[/url] and taping the pages together works for me for scores of 5 pages or so...always thought it was hardest for bass players to turn pages compared to any other instrument...! :-)

Wider stands are a good idea but, if you have several pages, you will still have to turn occasionally. My main nugget of advice is to turn the bottom corner of the r/h page up so you can grab it quickly and reduce the time it takes to turn. If you work ot ok, you can usually keep fretting notes with your l/h if necessary and, to be fair, most (not all) arrangers try to produce charts where the turns aren't smack in the middle of you sixteenth note solo section so you will probably have plenty of time.

If you've got the charts in advance, learn the sections around tricky page-turns so you're playing from memory. Then turn either before you get there... or afterwards.

I once played a Prokofiev piano sonatina from an edition that didn't have ANY simple page turns across three movements over about 12 minutes. It didn't even start a new movement on a fresh page. I used a combination of photocopies, sellotape, memory and a LOT of practice to pull that one off.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1304130' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:47 PM']It's much easier for us up in Staffordshire Wayne, We all just give the reading gigs to Doddy :)[/quote]

Speaking as an ex pat from the South, they haven't got the hang of joinedy up handwriting in most parts of Staffordshire... :)

Have to agree with most of the ideas on here. Ive also found that index tabs are quite useful for grabbing quickly.

And you can use the colours for colour coding, so if the MD gives you any awkward "over the page" codas or segues or repeats, you know which one to grab and turn :lol: And you can write on them!

Only cost a couple of quid too :)

(These are the ones I use :) [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004M3PYHA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000J68BR4&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0ENNGK7Q3MZEX92D09KW)"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004M3P...7Q3MZEX92D09KW)[/url]

All of these, purspex sheet seems popular, lighter than wood. But i am still struggling on, Cruisin for a Bluesin we are doing at present five sheets long with a D.S. I have seperated this into a two and a three sheet'er. still a pain. I also mark all key changes and repeats with felt pen - Green and D.S and D.C's in Red. It all helps.