Why become a member? ×

Lightweight bass for 11 year old

elom

My mate's 11yo lad (who is already a more than decent drummer) has decided that he'd like to play bass. A fine decision.

They were looking at a Thomann (Harley Benton) starter package which I'm not knocking (got a cheap HB acoustic myself and its fine). However I think that for not much more money we could put together something a bit longer lasting. Have already potentially sourced a Roland Bass Cube 100 but would be interested in your opinions for a suitable starter bass.

He came round and had a play on my basses and he can handle a full scale bass but I think that something light would be sensible. Interestingly the one bass of mine that really made his eyes light up was my Hohner B2A! Budget is about £150 and I'd welcome any suggestions you might have.

Ta muchly.

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, ideally from 1988-95.

You can pick one up on eBay (or here, of course) for your budget figure (probably an SB301 or an SB310) and get a HUGE amount of bass for the money.

The neck is very slim, the bass weighs just 7lbs, and the tiny headstock means no neckdive.

Oops, I thought it was a swap :lol:

I started playing bass when I was not much older than him. My first bass was a Vox Standard & they weigh about the same as an 8x10.
I wouldn't restrict it to lightweight basses (they're really for us oldies with bad backs :) ) as there's many good starter instruments that although not lightweight, will be much lighter than my Vox.

Kids are a lot stronger than you're giving them credit for :)

Have a look at Ibanez. Fairly light basses & excellent value for money.

At age 11 I'd have to recommend 3/4 size, short scale, something cheapish to get him going until he grows. I started at 14 and my hands were not up for many of the stretches I can now perform. Better to learn correct technique on something smaller than to struggle along on something too big for a few years IMO.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1303263' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:02 AM']At age 11 I'd have to recommend 3/4 size, short scale, something cheapish to get him going until he grows. I started at 14 and my hands were not up for many of the stretches I can now perform. Better to learn correct technique on something smaller than to struggle along on something too big for a few years IMO.[/quote]

Have to disagree. Having taught music in secondary school to pupils from 11-16, I've never had a 3/4 bass or the use for one. I had one pupil who had one and brought it in, only to tell his mates that his dad (a guitarist) bought it for him because it was guitar size but easier to play because it was a bass, and he would move onto guitar when he got good enough *rolls eyes*...

At the end of the day, if he's learning "the correct technique" as you put it, ideally he'll be playing in the first 5 frets really. The difference between short scale and full size electric bass guitar is never drastic enough to make enough difference to justify restricting a pupil to a 3/4 size IMO. If we were talking double bass it would be a totally different story.

I only say this because I think the OP should consider all the options in this thread, and not restrict himself to only 3/4 basses.

As for my recommendation, a Squier Precision is a good idea. Give him a bass that really is a bass and let him decide whether it's for him or not!

[quote name='skej21' post='1303285' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:27 AM']Have to disagree. Having taught music in secondary school to pupils from 11-16, I've never had a 3/4 bass or the use for one. I had one pupil who had one and brought it in, only to tell his mates that his dad (a guitarist) bought it for him because it was guitar size but easier to play because it was a bass, and he would move onto guitar when he got good enough *rolls eyes*...

At the end of the day, if he's learning "the correct technique" as you put it, ideally he'll be playing in the first 5 frets really. The difference between short scale and full size electric bass guitar is never drastic enough to make enough difference to justify restricting a pupil to a 3/4 size IMO. If we were talking double bass it would be a totally different story.

I only say this because I think the OP should consider all the options in this thread, and not restrict himself to only 3/4 basses.

As for my recommendation, a Squier Precision is a good idea. Give him a bass that really is a bass and let him decide whether it's for him or not![/quote]

With your experience then I have to disagree with my initial idea. So, go full size! I'd have to say a squier J over a P though, a P neck is seriously a lot to get your hands around (I don't like doing it now), let alone that young.

Hi all
I have to disagree but not completely, I have small hands and a short scale is very comfortable to play, but I do notice the improvement if I practice for a while (a few weeks) on a full size then transfer to the short scale.
I suppose most people here would say get used to one and stick to it, and it does mean having more than one bass (there are very cheap, usable basses to be found if you look), but it works for me and I always get a boost when returning to the short scale.
Regards
Jim

As someone who has taught a bit of bass and started playing a full scale from 9 and have talk hundreds of kids in groups lessons at 11 in year 7. Start on full scale first. In the long run it will be the best way, if after a few months he can't handle it then try the 3/4

[quote name='elom' post='1303076' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:15 AM']My mate's 11yo lad (who is already a more than decent drummer) has decided that he'd like to play bass. A fine decision.

They were looking at a Thomann (Harley Benton) starter package which I'm not knocking (got a cheap HB acoustic myself and its fine). However I think that for not much more money we could put together something a bit longer lasting. Have already potentially sourced a Roland Bass Cube 100 but would be interested in your opinions for a suitable starter bass.

He came round and had a play on my basses and he can handle a full scale bass but I think that something light would be sensible. Interestingly the one bass of mine that really made his eyes light up was my Hohner B2A! Budget is about £150 and I'd welcome any suggestions you might have.

Ta muchly.[/quote]

Check this thread:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=144970&pid=1302493&st=20&#entry1302493"]Tele Shine bass[/url]

I just bought the bass on that thread, and posted pictures/review on teh second page (post 30-something)

It costs £127 plus delivery, so within budget. I found mine to be really nice, very good finish... and all it took was a truss rod tweak to get nice action. It does neckdive, but it's VERY light and comfortable. Sitting down it's extremely comfortable. Standing up, the neck dive is there. The body is thinner than most, and small, and teh wood (ash) light... so you get neck dive. I tried unscrewing a bit one of the neck screws to use it as a strap anchor, and it does improve matters, but it will never be fully balanced. Still, it's not terrible and some people don't mind. And it feels great, and sounds really good. It's also a looker, I think :)
Despite the looks, it's more of a Jazz type of bass than a MM. A Jazz on steroids I described it as. The pickups are on teh Jazz positions, so you do get that character. I love teh bridge pickup, growly and meaty. I turn down the tone a bit and it's a good fat tone with good presence. Worth checking out I'd say. They also make a HS version rather than the HH I have.

Lionel Messi started playing with a size 3 football, then a size 4, both on small pitches and with no more than 7 players on each side.
Now he plays with a size 5 football, with the big boys on a full size pitch.
Didn't do him too much harm!

As a qualified FA coach, I believe that this is the correct way to nurture kids.

I know we are talking playing bass here, but I do believe that all equipment used, no matter what a child is learning, should be scaled to suit.

Just my 1p's worth.

Hi again
I think I should add that I did most of my early learning on a short scale, which is probably why I tend to favour it, but better to learn on a full size, certainly at least for versatility, and as mentioned earlier it can't do his strength any harm as well.
Jim

[quote name='elom' post='1303076' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:15 AM']My mate's 11yo lad (who is already a more than decent drummer) has decided that he'd like to play bass. A fine decision.

Ta muchly.[/quote]

Do you have any decent Bass outlets in Devon - if so I'd pay a visit to let him try out a few, get used to the various models & see what he's comfortable with.......just my two penneth! :)

Angie

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think me and his dad will take him down to Mansons and let him try out more options in their bass room. I reckon the most important thing is for him to find a instrument that he just wants to keep picking up and playing.

Yamaha RBX all the way.

I got one for an 11 year old lad a few months ago and he loves it. It plays great, it's light, and it sounds fantastic.

Original thread here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85195&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85195&hl=[/url]