Why become a member? ×

Best Bass for £500

jampottt

Hi Guys,

For info on me see here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145692"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145692[/url]

Basically, I'm looking at buying a new Bass Guitar, as I've become quite passionate about playing recently. I'm looking at a bass around £500. I play bass in a clubs band that play Rock & Pop, but I'd like to be using the bass outside of the band too, for any studio work (that's my main passion), and therefore would like as versatile a bass as possible, while still sounding beautiful.

I'm quite content keeping it 4 stringed, and the reason the budget it £500, is due to being able to purchase on the "Take It Away" system that the government offer, in which a student can take an interest free loan to buy an instrument, paying monthly payments for 10 months.

Previously I set myself a budget of £300, in which I was looking at the Cort Action Bass and also the Hofner Ignition, but with the higher budget set, I'm now thinking of a Fender Standard Jazz Bass, as Fender are a trusted brand. I use a Radial JDI Box to process the sound of my bass. Oh... I'm [size=7]Left Handed [/size]too...

What do you guys recommend?

Regards,

jampottt

Edited by jampottt

With a £500 budget for a new bass, I'd be looking at an Ibanez SR500. Very slim, beautifully narrow bubinga neck, versatile sounds from the pair of Barts, and an ergonomically delightful bass. My fave, anyway.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='jampottt' post='1302976' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:38 PM']I'm now thinking of a Fender Standard Jazz Bass, as Fender are a trusted brand.[/quote]

The trusted comment might spark some debate, but yes if you like fenders, and have to buy new then the modern MIMs are nice basses

If somehow you can get your hands on cash and not have to buy new for the HP then you can shop around for a decent JAP or very nice price 2nd hand MIM

[quote name='lojo' post='1303097' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:38 AM']The trusted comment might spark some debate, but yes if you like fenders, and have to buy new then the modern MIMs are nice basses

If somehow you can get your hands on cash and not have to buy new for the HP then you can shop around for a decent JAP or very nice price 2nd hand MIM[/quote]
Yes, £500 will get a decent bass 2nd hand on here.

And I`d say if you have set your heart on a Fender Jazz, get one. I`ve always loved Fender Precisions, but for some reason avoided buying one, always trying to what I wanted from other basses, and never quite succeeding. Many years and Pounds later, finally got the Precisions, and suddenly, everything was "right". Should have trusted my instincts, and got a Precision in the first place.

I wouldn't worry about versatility, there are only two or three bass sounds that ever get recorded anyway. Get a bass that does one of them well and you'll be fine.

Fender aren't exactly a brand I would trust to deliver consistently high-quality instruments. If you want one, I would suggest you buy used. On their new basses the timber can be a bit green and the standard hardware is often unreliable so at least with a used instrument someone else has replaced the dicky hardware and gone through the risk of the wood changing shape.

I'm another Precision man, but at the price you quote the Ibanez SR 500 (and the 600 too) are fine basses. A trusted brand name, quality parts and good quality control.

If you really want a Jazz, make sure you go to a dealer with a fair number of them in stock. With Fenders (even with the MIAs) there is a lot of variation between basses that are theoretically the same in terms of sound and weight. Play as many as you can, buy the one that sounds and feels right. If you can get past the name on the headstock, try the Squiers too. A lot of folks around Basschat say that a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squier with new pickups is more than a match for a Mexican Fender.

I'd have to recommend the Squier CV series if you're not bothered about the name on the headstock.

Amazing basses for the money, way better than the MIM Fenders I've played in the past (all two of them!) and the 60th Anniversary MIA Precision I tried last month.

And you'd have change left over from £500.

Edited by Evil Undead

If you're buying new, the Ibanez SR500 really does take some beating in this price range for all the reasons mentioned already.

There are lots of people who will raise an eyebrow at the suggestion Fender are a trusted brand - the Mex Fenders in particular have a reputation for very varied quality control (although there are certainly some good ones out there). Personally, if you want something with Fender on the headstock in this price range I would buy used. There are some cracking bargains around at the moment - including a Japanese 62 reissue Jazz in the for sale section on here just outside your budget at £550 which is a great price (its not mine, BTW!).

I would also try the G&L range. There are G&L Tributes on here at under £400 at the moment, which is a lot of bass for the money

And I would echo the comments on the Squier CV range - the CV Jazz will compete with anything with the F word on the headstock (I say that having owned 2 Mex Fenders, 2 MIA Fenders, and 2 CIJ Fenders in the past!).

I’m relative new to bass and was in a similar position a few months back looking for another bass to add to my CV60 jazz. After trying quite a few basses both up and down in price the Ibanez SR500 and Yamaha BB424X seemed by far and away the best around the £500 mark.

I bought the Yamaha and have been very pleased with, amazing quality for the price and the pickup switch makes changing sounds very easy without faffing around trying to pan with a pot. That said, the SR500 was also very impressive and for me it came down to just preferring the look of the Yamaha... both were excellent for the price.

New I would probably buy an SR500. Or for under £300 you get the SR300. I've had mine for 2 years.

However, you may be able to find a Japanese Fender for around that money. You may have to stretch your budget a little.

Edited by Marvin

If you're going 2nd hand, then there's a few Ibbys on the first for sale page on here.

Both these are excellent value for money...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=144826"]SR-1206[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145781"]SR-800 (a Japanese one!)[/url]