Why become a member? ×

How long can you store bass strings for?

Evil Undead

Depends on the string and how they are packaged.

However IME Rotosound bass strings have a very limited shelf-life. These days I only buy direct from Rotosound at trade shows and just for basses that I know are going to be restrung in the next 2 months.

Edited by BigRedX

This has given me an idea for long-term string storage.

You know those "JML suck all the air out with a hoover and it squishes yer clothes" bags. Bung 'em in one of those with a sachet of silica gel. Suck the air out, and I reckon they'd last indefinitely.

Coated strings (hopefully) won't suffer so much.

I only have to stare at Rotosounds or Slinkys and they go dull.

If it's in a sealed packet, it should be fairly indefinite. The change in a strings sound over time (on your bass) is a combination of fatigue from vibrating, and a build up of gunk from your hands. therefore sitting still and untouched in a packet should have a marginal effect.

n.b. this is from the theoretical science standpoint, there might be a factor i'm not considering. I've also made the assumption you haven't taken them out the packet, played about with them, then put them back, as this would introduce a bit of moisture required for rust to form.

Edited by ZMech

You hear of people trying to source old strings like Superwounds. I wonder if they actually use any when they get hold of them? I remember someone a couple of years ago selling loads of packs of Trace Elliot strings, which were apparently made years and years ago by Status Graphite and rebranded by Trace Elliot!

I've had some strings in the past which did seem a bit dull overall compared to previous sets, so maybe older stock etc?
These days I usually use D'Addarios which now come poly wrapped, so would expect these to be less prone to this. Often buy
a few at a time, and have never noticed these 'degrading' as I get through them.
Have bought a fair few guitar strings over the years which have pitting on the unwound strings straight out of the packet though.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1300675' date='Jul 12 2011, 09:45 AM']Never heard of strings having a "shelf life".
I wouldn't worry about it.[/quote]

+1

Unless you're after a super 'zingy' sound all of the time and you're restringing every month, I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

I bought a crateful of Slinkeys back in the early 90s when I was playing a lot, I'm just finishing up the last few sets now and they seem fine even though they were in paper envelopes and not the modern sealed packs. (I think it was 24 boxes each containing 10 sets, cost a fortune to buy but the price per set was less than 50% retail)

In theory any string in a sealed plastic packet should last indefinitely, not sure about Rotosounds though.... they seem to go dead very quickly for me.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1300766' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:15 AM']I bought a crateful of Slinkeys back in the early 90s when I was playing a lot, I'm just finishing up the last few sets now and they seem fine even though they were in paper envelopes and not the modern sealed packs. (I think it was 24 boxes each containing 10 sets, cost a fortune to buy but the price per set was less than 50% retail)

In theory any string in a sealed plastic packet should last indefinitely, not sure about Rotosounds though.... they seem to go dead very quickly for me.[/quote]

But surely you haven't used any since the early 90s? :) :)