Why become a member? ×

Cheap bass has got my attention

Pow_22

Theres a cheap music shop in manchester than normally sells basic/entry level stuff, usually lots of shine guitars. Anyway i was mooching round online and saw this...

[url="http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON08E000006&Prod_name=ELECTRIC"]http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetai...d_name=ELECTRIC[/url] 4 STRING SHINE BASS GUITAR SBA-724&CAT_CODE=&SUBCAT_CODE=&Search=Y

Now i know its a cheap probably korean or chinese made effort but for some reason it just really interests me. Having played a Retrovibe RV4 i know how good two MM style h'buckers CAN sound. So im gonna have a stroll into town later and give this a try. Hopefully it sounds sh*te because i cant really affrod another bass at the mo and am in the middle of another big gear clearout myself. Anyone else tried on of these? Ill report back later with my findings

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1298003' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:53 AM']Theres a cheap music shop in manchester than normally sells basic/entry level stuff, usually lots of shine guitars. Anyway i was mooching round online and saw this...

[url="http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON08E000006&Prod_name=ELECTRIC"]http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetai...d_name=ELECTRIC[/url] 4 STRING SHINE BASS GUITAR SBA-724&CAT_CODE=&SUBCAT_CODE=&Search=Y

Now i know its a cheap probably korean or chinese made effort but for some reason it just really interests me. Having played a Retrovibe RV4 i know how good two MM style h'buckers CAN sound. So im gonna have a stroll into town later and give this a try. Hopefully it sounds sh*te because i cant really affrod another bass at the mo and am in the middle of another big gear clearout myself. Anyone else tried on of these? Ill report back later with my findings[/quote]

Don't knock Korean made instruments, in my experience with them they've always been good. Fender even allow one of their models (light ash) to come out of there with the Fender badge on.

i like the look of that, retro tele bass with MM pickups. yum. Except for the Gotoh look a like tuners, if you stuck Fendery ones on it would definitely have a vibe.
What does it play like and what does it sound like?
The most important questions.
I have a 1982/3 Hohner precision clone that was bought from this same shop in manch in the spring of 83 and still has the chase sticker on the back!

Shine make very reasonable cheap basses (allegedly there's a link to the Cort factory) and the only thing that tends to spoil them is the poor initial set-up.

If you invest an hour in fettling the thing when you get it, and bung decent strings on there, you should be very happy.

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1298003' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:53 AM']Theres a cheap music shop in manchester than normally sells basic/entry level stuff, usually lots of shine guitars. Anyway i was mooching round online and saw this...

Now i know its a cheap probably korean or chinese made effort but for some reason it just really interests me. Having played a Retrovibe RV4 i know how good two MM style h'buckers CAN sound. So im gonna have a stroll into town later and give this a try. Hopefully it sounds sh*te because i cant really affrod another bass at the mo and am in the middle of another big gear clearout myself. Anyone else tried on of these? Ill report back later with my findings[/quote]

so, what did you think?

[url="http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON09I000018&Prod_name=CHASE%20GUITAR%20BASS%20ELECTRASONIC%20VEGAS%20EKVEGASS4MRED&CAT_CODE=52&SUBCAT_CODE=309"]http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetai...SUBCAT_CODE=309[/url]I like the look of this one.

Edited by lee4

Gave it a go. It was the rosewood that made me hve a try Wooks as im not a maple fan. It was very light but not really in a good way i.e felt cheaply made....BUT through the cheap crappy amp i tried it did sound like it had potential. Needed a bloody get set up and probably new pots but certainly nothing worse than what my £280 RV4 was like when i first bought it. I guess its the same, damn good set-up and bit of TLC and this could be a great bass for the money. I still really want a sunburts squier P but i really think once my amp service is paid for that this could be on the radar.

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1298587' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:50 PM']Gave it a go. It was the rosewood that made me hve a try Wooks as im not a maple fan. It was very light but not really in a good way i.e felt cheaply made....BUT through the cheap crappy amp i tried it did sound like it had potential. Needed a bloody get set up and probably new pots but certainly nothing worse than what my £280 RV4 was like when i first bought it. I guess its the same, damn good set-up and bit of TLC and this could be a great bass for the money. I still really want a sunburts squier P but i really think once my amp service is paid for that this could be on the radar.[/quote]

Did you see whether they had a single pickup version?

I bought a Shine 6 string off their ebay shop, and it's a pretty good bass, though the string spacing could be a touch wider.

I think I also got my Shine Ricky clone from there, which I utterly and completely love, even over legit Rics, though I'll admit it's now heavily modded.

That Tele bass looks pretty beast too.

Edited by Darkstrike

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1298619' date='Jul 9 2011, 10:44 PM']I bought a Shine 6 string off their ebay shop, and it's a pretty good bass, though the string spacing could be a touch wider.

I think I also got my Shine Ricky clone from there, which I utterly and completely love, even over legit Rics, though I'll admit it's now heavily modded.

That Tele bass looks pretty beast too.[/quote]

Now we will have all the Shine fanbois over here because of your string spacing comment :)

I feel sick: I really want one, even though I don't need one and it seems unlikely I'll ever play one outside the house... but for £142 I'm finding it hard not to bite...

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1298587' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:50 PM']Gave it a go. It was the rosewood that made me hve a try Wooks as im not a maple fan. It was very light but not really in a good way i.e felt cheaply made....BUT through the cheap crappy amp i tried it did sound like it had potential. Needed a bloody get set up and probably new pots but certainly nothing worse than what my £280 RV4 was like when i first bought it. I guess its the same, damn good set-up and bit of TLC and this could be a great bass for the money. I still really want a sunburts squier P but i really think once my amp service is paid for that this could be on the radar.[/quote]

Any neckdive issues?
I'm thinking light and small body....

[quote name='mcnach' post='1298870' date='Jul 10 2011, 11:40 AM']Now we will have all the Shine fanbois over here because of your string spacing comment :)

I feel sick: I really want one, even though I don't need one and it seems unlikely I'll ever play one outside the house... but for £142 I'm finding it hard not to bite...[/quote]
Just don't cross post me to the Shine forums, I'll be hung drawn and quartered...... :)

I don't blame you, there's a lot worse that kind of coin could be spent on.

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1298960' date='Jul 10 2011, 01:52 PM']I don't blame you, there's a lot worse that kind of coin could be spent on.[/quote]

Really really tempted by it. If it had a maple fingerboard I'd have already ordered one :)
Looked on youtube and found one guy showing his (unfortunately not playing it). He moved the strap button because he found it suffered from neck-dive. This could be THE deal breaker for me.

Pow_22, did you notice whether the bass you tried had any noticeable neck dive issues?

One of my mates recently bought a Shine second hand and its quite good. he paid around a ton for his I think so the price looks ok. I think theTele bass model is about £169 on the evil ebaY ? ? ?

Someone told me Shine have a factory in Korea and a factory in China, and that the stuff that comes out of the Korea factory is the best, so, I'd check that its of Korean origin if I was gonna buy mail order ? . . . but really with a cheap bass like this its going to be a bit hit or miss . . . IMHO, at that price some are gonna be ok and some not so ok ? . . . I wouldn't think you could possibly expect the consistent quality control that you might resonably expect in a mid market priced bass if your only paying just over a hundred quid for it . . . and for that reason, I'd probably want to play the actual one I was going to buy before I got it. But hey . . thats just my humble take on it ?

Bottom line the one I've played is ok and I've heard good things about them.

cheers,

:)

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1299535' date='Jul 11 2011, 02:39 AM']. . . I wouldn't think you could possibly expect the consistent quality control that you might resonably expect in a mid market priced bass if your only paying just over a hundred quid for it . . . and for that reason, I'd probably want to play the actual one I was going to buy before I got it. But hey . . thats just my humble take on it ?[/quote]

This is an excellent point. There seems to be the impression that every US Fender in the shop needs to be played as they are all so different, and yet on the other hand the quality control should be the best. For these much cheaper basses, surely there's likely to be more variation (and therefore character?) between them. I'm sure they're not punched out in the same quantities as the Fenders either.