Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003

Guest MoJo

12 hours ago, Clarky said:

Is that a Rickysounds V63 conversion? They look great

Hi Clarky, No I did it myself, the toaster was impossible to get hold of in UK, had it sent from New York took 3 weeks to get !! sounds fantastic though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geofio said:

Hi Clarky, No I did it myself, the toaster was impossible to get hold of in UK, had it sent from New York took 3 weeks to get !! sounds fantastic though.

Did you try to inquire about the Creamery Rickenbacker Bass Toaster?

https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/custom-handwound-replacement-ric-rickenbacker-and-toaster-style-pickups.html

On 01/03/2024 at 09:05, Clarky said:

Binding to the slab body on a 4003 whereas 4003s is unbound and not slab/more carved, so its more comfy on the forearm and ribs IMHO

Smoother edges,  about the same weight, they are also mono output, perfect for the V63 conversion Project. They still have the vintage tone circuit. great basses to play.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geofio said:

No was a standard 4003s I did the conversion myself, The Horseshoe was easy enough to come by but the toaster I had to import from New York. 

On 02/03/2024 at 09:33, matbard said:

No, I wanted Rickenbacker pickups, I wanted this bass to sound as original as possible. 

4 minutes ago, geofio said:

No, I wanted Rickenbacker pickups, I wanted this bass to sound as original as possible. 

I understand you, but actual Rickenbacker pickups are not close to "real" Rickenbacker vintage pickups... The horseshoe pickup for example hasn't magnetic shoes but the ones in the '60s had them. If you want to get closer to that tone, you have to switch to something more historical accurate like Lollar horseshoe or somewhat boutique pickups like Creamery toasters. 

Is there such a thing as a 4003s but with the varnished/laquered fingerboard?  Id love a fireglo one with a varnished board.  Only thing is some fireglo rics look quite 'sun bleached', i like the fireglo to be orangey red in the middle not almost mapleglo

7 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Is there such a thing as a 4003s but with the varnished/laquered fingerboard? 

My old S was varnished, things may have changed, however.

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I thought all Ric's had lacquered necks and fingerboards. ?

Dave

There was a short period (early 2020's I think but I'd have to check to be sure, it was fairly recently though) that they issued them with unlacquered boards.

Edited by AMV001
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, matbard said:

I understand you, but actual Rickenbacker pickups are not close to "real" Rickenbacker vintage pickups... The horseshoe pickup for example hasn't magnetic shoes but the ones in the '60s had them. If you want to get closer to that tone, you have to switch to something more historical accurate like Lollar horseshoe or somewhat boutique pickups like Creamery toasters. 

I am well aware of all that , I have been playing Rickenbacker for over 40 years and owned over 40 of them,  The modern Horseshoe still sounds amazing it hotter has more bark than the high gain on standard 4003's  , I personally love the sound,  after all I am designing the sound for me not someone else's choices, The Rickenbacker 00031 Toaster sounds fantastic, sounds great on its own , I love the sound the feel and look of my 4003s . I don't need any other pickups. Could not be happier with it. 

1 minute ago, AMV001 said:

There was a short period (early 2020's I think but I'd have to check to be sure, it was fairly recently though) that they issued them with unlacquered boards).

My 2023 Autumnglo is all over satin finish including the fretboard,  it feels fantastic, one of the slimmest Ric necks I have owned. 

53422353981_59f016d523_6k.jpg

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, geofio said:

My 2023 Autumnglo is all over satin finish including the fretboard,  it feels fantastic, one of the slimmest Ric necks I have owned. 

53422353981_59f016d523_6k.jpg

I've not seen that finish to be honest. Really liking that.

Dave

I've seen plenty of folks writing that they've hardly ever used the Rick-o-sound. So I'm posting this in case anyone would like a listen to the 1st recording I've done with Rick-o-sound . I say in the video what I've done with the pups so I won't repeat it here. Any good natured ( positive or negative) comments on the sound I get with it are welcomed. 

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have a complaint about the 2023 4003 Rickenbackers (and maybe earlier versions too):  The nut keeps popping off!  This happens basically every time that I change the strings.  Is this a known issue?  Has anyone else encountered this?

The first time it popped off, I noticed some glue residue on the SIDE of the nut that faces the fretboard, in addition to the bottom of the nut that face the neck.  However, when I re-glued it I only used a small amount of CA glue on the BOTTOM of the nut.  That seemed to work well, or so I thought.  The next time I went to change the strings the nut popped off again! 

I've glued many a nut on my Warwicks (e.g., replacing plastic tedur with brass) and as far as I can recall I only had one pop off.

This evening I glued the nut back on the Ric but now with CA glue on both the BOTTOM and the SIDE.  Hopefully that does it... I also used slightly larger dabs of CA.  I'm supposed to hit the studio tomorrow with the bass(!).  Argh!

3 hours ago, tvickey said:

Okay, I have a complaint about the 2023 4003 Rickenbackers (and maybe earlier versions too):  The nut keeps popping off!  This happens basically every time that I change the strings.  Is this a known issue?  Has anyone else encountered this?

The first time it popped off, I noticed some glue residue on the SIDE of the nut that faces the fretboard, in addition to the bottom of the nut that face the neck.  However, when I re-glued it I only used a small amount of CA glue on the BOTTOM of the nut.  That seemed to work well, or so I thought.  The next time I went to change the strings the nut popped off again! 

I've glued many a nut on my Warwicks (e.g., replacing plastic tedur with brass) and as far as I can recall I only had one pop off.

This evening I glued the nut back on the Ric but now with CA glue on both the BOTTOM and the SIDE.  Hopefully that does it... I also used slightly larger dabs of CA.  I'm supposed to hit the studio tomorrow with the bass(!).  Argh!

CA, or super glues are rather brittle in my experience. When I want a glue to really stick, permanently, I use a quality two part epoxy resin such as Araldite. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

CA, or super glues are rather brittle in my experience. When I want a glue to really stick, permanently, I use a quality two part epoxy resin such as Araldite. 

been playing Rics for 40 plus years never had a Nut come off ever.

11 minutes ago, geofio said:

been playing Rics for 40 plus years never had a Nut come off ever.

Maybe, in an attempt to increase production output, the variable Rickenbacker quality control missed a few issues? 

Edited by Sparky Mark

I have to confess that the A and D string gauge difference bit me the first time that I had the nut pop off.   So, it is very likely my fault and I probably precipitated this following that mistake... 

However, I widened the grooves prior to gluing the nut back on that first time.  The nut stayed on just fine, until the next time that I changed strings (same gauge).

As I wrote, I've used CA glue again but this time putting it on the bottom as well as the fretboard-facing side of the nut.  I put strings back on this morning, but have not fully tensioned them into tune... I'm trying to buy as many hours of cure time as possible before hitting the studio this morning.  Fingers crossed that the stays in place! 

The entire point of going back into the studio this morning was to re-record bass on a few tracks specifically for the Ric sound... the studio time was booked months ago.  Argh!  My GAS is saying, "You know what this means?  We have to buy another Ric... you know, to have on-hand as a back up."  🤣

There’s a matte black Ric in the for sale section….🤭. I read a while ago about using glue that’s used for bicycle inner tubes/puncture repair does the trick 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

There’s a matte black Ric in the for sale section….🤭. I read a while ago about using glue that’s used for bicycle inner tubes/puncture repair does the trick 🤷‍♂️

I would be wary of using a rubber glue to secure a nut as it may have a damping effect, I.e., reducing string vibration transmission through the nut to the neck. It might be less of an issue for instruments with a zero fret.