Why become a member? ×

Great customer service - if you get it, let the retailer know

xilddx

I had superb customer service from Nevada Music in Portsmouth very recently. It's a really nice, comfortable and large warehouse type retailer with a good online presence.

I was treated extremely well by knowlegable and friendly staff. Andy Fisher is the main bass guy there and after talking to him about my requirements and spending a couple of hours trying guitars, I walked out with a superb instrument I hadn't even considered I might want, and at a very good price. He was really helpful and it was a very pleasurable experience buying it. The display instruments are very well cared for and felt like they had just come out the box.

I called back a few days later to get the email address of the manager so I could register my satisfaction with their customer service and Andy Fisher in particular.

The Director emailed me back saying thank you and how they rarely get positive feedback and often think customers don't appreciate their efforts at providing excellent customer service.

You know how good it feels when someone says they love your band or your playing? So, if you get great customer service from somewhere, tell them about it!

Cheers,
Nigel

[quote name='silddx' post='1293366' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:28 PM']You know how good it feels when someone says they love your band or your playing? So, if you get great customer service from somewhere, tell them about it!

Cheers,
Nigel[/quote]
+1

I emailed the main customer service dept of the Holiday resort I stayed at recently to tell them how good their staff were.

+1

I got a new car a month ago, and the garage delivered it to the house. Turns out the chap brought it down from Harrogate (to Warwickshire), so we had a good chinwag over a cuppa, and he was particularly helpful making sure I was happy with everything before he left. I sent an email to the dealership telling them how happy I was with the service etc, and the following day, the MD of the garage called me up on my mobile to thank me for sending the email in. He said he generally only sees the complaints, so it came as a nice surprise to receive one that actually thanks them for doing a good job. I guess human nature says that most people are quick to complain, but not quite as quick to praise...

I always buy plywood for speaker builds from one particular wood yard as the three young lads working in the warehouse, who fetch your order, are all really helpful and seem really happy to be helping the customer. I have emailed their boss this afternoon as a result of this thread. Not enough praise out there. If we don't tell these people when they're doing something right we can't expect them to keep doing it right.

[quote name='silddx' post='1293366' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:28 PM']I had superb customer service from Nevada Music in Portsmouth very recently. It's a really nice, comfortable and large warehouse type retailer with a good online presence.

I was treated extremely well by knowlegable and friendly staff. Andy Fisher is the main bass guy there and after talking to him about my requirements and spending a couple of hours trying guitars, I walked out with a superb instrument I hadn't even considered I might want, and at a very good price. He was really helpful and it was a very pleasurable experience buying it. The display instruments are very well cared for and felt like they had just come out the box.

I called back a few days later to get the email address of the manager so I could register my satisfaction with their customer service and Andy Fisher in particular.

The Director emailed me back saying thank you and how they rarely get positive feedback and often think customers don't appreciate their efforts at providing excellent customer service.

You know how good it feels when someone says they love your band or your playing? So, if you get great customer service from somewhere, tell them about it!

Cheers,
Nigel[/quote]

I'll second that, i popped in a few months ago en-route to some friends in Brighton.

Andy was great, let me try several cab set ups, even suggesting something I hadn't considered.

Although I didn't purchase anything that day, I would have no hesitation in recomending them, based on my experience.

[quote name='bozzie' post='1293988' date='Jul 5 2011, 09:31 PM']I'll second that, i popped in a few months ago en-route to some friends in Brighton.

Andy was great, let me try several cab set ups, even suggesting something I hadn't considered.

Although I didn't purchase anything that day, I would have no hesitation in recomending them, based on my experience.[/quote]
Excellent!

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1293975' date='Jul 5 2011, 09:25 PM']I always buy plywood for speaker builds from one particular wood yard as the three young lads working in the warehouse, who fetch your order, are all really helpful and seem really happy to be helping the customer. I have emailed their boss this afternoon as a result of this thread. Not enough praise out there. If we don't tell these people when they're doing something right we can't expect them to keep doing it right.[/quote]
Also excellent :) They will really appreciate that, nice one!

Nevada is the location I brought my first ever bass from and I have nothing but praise for the guys who work there and the service they provide. Always willing to help and make recomendations and I may be going back there to get my new bass when the time comes in september.

Since we're on a positive experiences tip, I'd like to flag Eminence (okay, not a retailer, but still) - had bought a couple of their Beta 12" speakers to fit to some monitor cabs and emailed them regarding good tweeters to match, crossover frequencies etc - nothing was too much trouble, and the guy flagged a couple of potential issues with how I was thinking about doing things which actually made me realise that just buying a couple of Eminence's own pre-built crossover boards would be easier, cheaper and more effective.

Okay, so they've also sold a couple of extra X-over boards into the bargain, but I suspect I'd still be faffing around with capacitors, inductors and resistors on veroboard if I hadn't asked them :)

Last year a few mates along with my sister and my 67 year old mum went to see Sepultura in Fats Sams, Dundee.

The staff were fantastic, really looking after my mum (total die hard metal head).

I emailed the manager when we got back to say a massive thank you and even sent up some flowers to the head bouncer (female one I might add) as she took particularly good care of her.

I have to agree we are all really quick to complain but praise is far more motivational than being berated.

It's great to see a positive thread.

At a recent interview, I asked the interviewer how they gauged feedback for their software (the job I was applying for) and he said, if there is nothing negative its good. If they have shifted 10,000 copies and they get less than 10% negative it's still good.

I find that rather sad.

Good service should come as standard, sadly this is not always the case. I agree, let the staff know they have done a great job and are above the normal levels of service!

As for customers in supermarkets, they can be awful. My wife has come home in tears because of the aggresive nature and abuse she has suffered :)

I think it does cut both ways at times!

Great thread and a good incentive to reward good service.

[quote name='silddx' post='1293366' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:28 PM']I had superb customer service from Nevada Music in Portsmouth very recently. It's a really nice, comfortable and large warehouse type retailer with a good online presence.

Cheers,
Nigel[/quote]
This is wonderful to read, Nige. I think as a nation we always expect good/excellent service to come as standard, and anything less than 100% gets a complaint. Yes, I think we should complain about poor service, but also give thanks in equal measure to encourage those who do provide an excellent service (often low-paid staff as well). You wouldn't believe the amount of s*** I had to put up with when I worked at Curries with people looking to knock off £100 from a £3000 telly.

For me, Bass Merchant is another example of exemplary customer service, have had some great chats with Darren when I've been there (in fact, I'm due for another trip there soon with the missus)

Oh, and I am seriously impressed with your musical abilities - you do yourself a disservice with all the 'I'm not worthy' threads I've seen you post recently :) I particularly liked your last playing video with the sitarist. Keep it up, mate.

[quote name='Mike' post='1294155' date='Jul 5 2011, 11:42 PM']Excellent to read! But......what did you buy?!?[/quote]
Ooooh, I'm all intrigued too - watcha get then, fella?

[quote name='Bottle' post='1294348' date='Jul 6 2011, 09:21 AM']This is wonderful to read, Nige. I think as a nation we always expect good/excellent service to come as standard, and anything less than 100% gets a complaint. Yes, I think we should complain about poor service, but also give thanks in equal measure to encourage those who do provide an excellent service (often low-paid staff as well). You wouldn't believe the amount of s*** I had to put up with when I worked at Curries with people looking to knock off £100 from a £3000 telly.

For me, Bass Merchant is another example of exemplary customer service, have had some great chats with Darren when I've been there (in fact, I'm due for another trip there soon with the missus)

Oh, and I am seriously impressed with your musical abilities - you do yourself a disservice with all the 'I'm not worthy' threads I've seen you post recently :) I particularly liked your last playing video with the sitarist. Keep it up, mate.

Ooooh, I'm all intrigued too - watcha get then, fella?[/quote]
Thanks Ian :)

I bought that superb Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat in the sitar video, I hadn't even considered a Fender, too low tech, but Andy told me about the Deluxes with a 2-point trem, noiseless pups, locking tuners, compound radius fretboard, etc. I played it and it was a delight! The 1950s V profile neck is exceptional, and it's by a mile the best Strat I've ever laid hands on, and the workmanship, set-up and sound is fabulous. I'll be going back to Nevada to buy an acoustic 6 string in the next few weeks, probably a high end Ovation.

Edited by silddx

I have to say that in my work in computers my motto is "silence is my praise". Keeps me sane.

Good bass related stories - Schaller sent me four free (despite my offer to pay) replacement capstans, pinions and screws for the M4S tuners in my Victory Artist restoration - I only needed one! They also sent me a sticker and some plectrums. What a jolly good bunch!

Whoever was dealing with Hartke in the UK at the time sent me a replacement knob FOC for my 3500 head, even though it was second hand to me.

Gibson Restoration and Repair in the States were able to find me a NOS set of Posi-Lok strap buttons for my Victory, when Gibson themselves had washed their hands of my query very quickly.

Axesrus are always awesome. Quick and FREE postage. One thing in particular comes to mind - I ordered something small and it never arrived. They sent a replacement straight away. A couple of months later (!) the original parcel arrived. I contacted them to see if they wanted it back but they said to keep it. Nice one :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1294444' date='Jul 6 2011, 10:37 AM']Thanks Ian :)

I bought that superb Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat in the sitar video, I hadn't even considered a Fender, too low tech, but Andy told me about the Deluxes with a 2-point trem, noiseless pups, locking tuners, compound radius fretboard, etc. I played it and it was a delight! The 1950s V profile neck is exceptional, and it's by a mile the best Strat I've ever laid hands on, and the workmanship, set-up and sound is fabulous. I'll be going back to Nevada to buy an acoustic 6 string in the next few weeks, probably a high end Ovation.[/quote]
Schweeeet!!!!!!

Awwww, that's fabulous :) mmmmm has got me thinking about a cheap Strat copy to noodle on at home, having never played Gtr before.

Take care, mate

[quote name='Bottle' post='1294516' date='Jul 6 2011, 11:22 AM']Schweeeet!!!!!!

Awwww, that's fabulous :) mmmmm has got me thinking about a cheap Strat copy to noodle on at home, having never played Gtr before.

Take care, mate[/quote]
I can't recommend the Squier Classic Vibe Strats highly enough, they are wonderful players and sound lovely.

[quote name='silddx' post='1294635' date='Jul 6 2011, 12:32 PM']I can't recommend the Squier Classic Vibe Strats highly enough, they are wonderful players and sound lovely.[/quote]
Cool! Shall look into it (and apologies for the thread derail :) )

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1294160' date='Jul 5 2011, 11:48 PM']Since we're on a positive experiences tip, I'd like to flag Eminence (okay, not a retailer, but still) - had bought a couple of their Beta 12" speakers to fit to some monitor cabs and emailed them regarding good tweeters to match, crossover frequencies etc - nothing was too much trouble, and the guy flagged a couple of potential issues with how I was thinking about doing things which actually made me realise that just buying a couple of Eminence's own pre-built crossover boards would be easier, cheaper and more effective.

Okay, so they've also sold a couple of extra X-over boards into the bargain, but I suspect I'd still be faffing around with capacitors, inductors and resistors on veroboard if I hadn't asked them :)[/quote]

I'll second that about Eminence, they were legendary. I'd originally tried to buy some Celestions because I had data on their speakers that suggested it was the best replacement for my blown PAS drivers in my GoliathII. Celestion were next to useless, couldn't supply direct, couldn't tell me who in the UK could supply the model i wanted, or even if it was still a current model. Couldn't tell me when they would be making some more...

I spoke to Eminence about my problem and after much discussion they worked out the best model to fit my cab, checked the compatibility for me and arranged to send me four new drivers next day, in the snow, over Xmas as I needed to be up and running for a NYE gig. All this despite the fact they have Uk distributors to handle non-trade enquiries. They also followed up ion the new year to check that everything worked out ok for me! :)