Why become a member? ×

Jealousy

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1292542' date='Jul 4 2011, 06:45 PM']I know you're referring to the question being in English, but your post sounds like a very disparaging remark about Belgians. :)

And yes it seems that most people didn't read the first post.[/quote]
I rarely read your posts. They're usually twoddle :)

The eternal slap debate.

As someone who thinks being able to groove is the most important aspect of bass playing, I also think Kim Deal is being patronising in that clip. And I get the impression she's not really able to write a bass part that is more melodic.

As for slap, for the millionth time, if it's played for technique's sake, it sounds tedious. In the hands of someone like Marcus Miller, it's a technique that's unique and actually makes the song.

I would avoid the Youtube bedroom players.

I would draw your attention to this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=144275"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=144275[/url]

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1292268' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:11 PM']When you see bassists who haven't spent hours and hours working on fringe techniques like slapping become successful, are you jealous of them? Players who perhaps don't even practice at all, but they make music that lots of people love. I would imagine it's quite galling if you've dedicated hundreds of hours of diligent practice to techniques that you'll only get to show off on Youtube.[/quote]
It would appear the answer is probably.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1292268' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:11 PM']When you see bassists who haven't spent hours and hours working on fringe techniques like slapping become successful, are you jealous of them? Players who perhaps don't even practice at all, but they make music that lots of people love. I would imagine it's quite galling if you've dedicated hundreds of hours of diligent practice to techniques that you'll only get to show off on Youtube.[/quote]
Probably quite unmusical people though aren't they, if that's what they feel they should practice? If they can not understand that technique and facility is rarely valued without a musical element?

Most slappers and shredders I have seen on youtube simply can't seem to get past the motor skills element and into the MUSIC.

[quote name='silddx' post='1292636' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:04 PM']Probably quite unmusical people though aren't they, if that's what they feel they should practice? If they can not understand that technique and facility is rarely valued without a musical element?

Most slappers and shredders I have seen on youtube simply can't seem to get past the motor skills element and into the MUSIC.[/quote]
Quite right.

That's the end of that then.

Have you been fishing and did you catch awt?

EDIT: how do you spell awt? Is awt? Or ought?

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='silddx' post='1292636' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:04 PM']Probably quite unmusical people though aren't they, if that's what they feel they should practice? If they can not understand that technique and facility is rarely valued without a musical element?

Most slappers and shredders I have seen on youtube simply can't seem to get past the motor skills element and into the MUSIC.[/quote]

Yep. I'm for any technique, but make it musical.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1292642' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:07 PM']Quite right.

That's the end of that then.

Have you been fishing and did you catch awt?

EDIT: how do you spell awt? Is awt? Or ought?[/quote]
Not been fishing so caught nowt :)

I'm actually attending an interview next week to enable me to fish this 250 year old estate lake. A good head of 40lb+ carp, very hard apparently but it's a beautiful place and not often fished. I am not allowed to say where it is, but it's not far from me so it's like a Redmire Pool I can fish regularly!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1292268' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:11 PM']When you see bassists who haven't spent hours and hours working on fringe techniques like slapping become successful, are you jealous of them?[/quote]
Not at all, no. Should i be?
However, if we change the wording slightly...
[quote]When you see bassists who haven't spent any time working on anything and almost seem to revel in their lack of ability become successful, are you jealous of them?[/quote]
Hell yes. Actually, not so much jealous as angry.

I don't like slap.
Nowadays I play in a pub covers band. All Right Now has a bassline punters expect so I am not going to do hammers, pulls, triplets, blah. We don't actually do All Right Now, but you get the picture?
I am part of a team of 4 blokes that play gigs to entertain punters and ourselves.

So, each to their own.

PS Nigel, July 16th, 1 week Barbel bashing on the Severn :) :) :lol: .

Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='1292690' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:47 PM']I don't like slap.
Nowadays I play in a pub covers band. All Right Now has a bassline punters expect so I am not going to do hammers, pulls, triplets, blah. We don't actually do All Right Now, but you get the picture?
I am part of a team of 4 blokes that play gigs to entertain punters and ourselves.

So, each to their own.

PS Nigel, July 16th, 1 week Barbel bashing on the Severn :) :) :lol: .

Karl.[/quote]
Ah, sorry mate, I meant to respond to your comment on my other thread! You must be counting the hours man! Pictures please with your forthcoming 14.2 :D

[quote name='silddx' post='1292695' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:51 PM']You read it though and felt the need to contribute :)[/quote]

I read it up to that video where Deal was playing the bassline to some plodding rock song and trying to revel in the glory of it, despite it being so naff Adam Clayton would refuse to play it!

[quote name='silddx' post='1292671' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:28 PM']Not been fishing so caught nowt :)

I'm actually attending an interview next week to enable me to fish this 250 year old estate lake. A good head of 40lb+ carp, very hard apparently but it's a beautiful place and not often fished. I am not allowed to say where it is, but it's not far from me so it's like a Redmire Pool I can fish regularly!

[/quote]
:lol: That's stunning, and to have the chance to fish somewhere like that that isn't fished much, just, you lucky man.

Sorry I seem to have pulled this off topic :)

I look at Dood's tapping on a 7-string and think 'Wow, I would love to do that.' But I will never in a million years learn that style.

I'm not jealous, but I think I would love to do that.

I can play slap and love it, but I can't do the Mark King machine-gun style.

I'm trying to double-thumb but it's not happening, although my muted thumb technique is coming along OK.

Just do what you like and enjoy it. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1292697' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:53 PM']I read it up to that video where Deal was playing the bassline to some plodding rock song and trying to revel in the glory of it, despite it being so naff Adam Clayton would refuse to play it![/quote]
It's just someone keeping it very very simple and uniform. Fine for some things but I would not want to make a career out of it, or tell other people they should.

[quote name='Rich' post='1292672' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:28 PM']Not at all, no. Should i be?
However, if we change the wording slightly...

Hell yes. Actually, not so much jealous as angry.[/quote]

Players who revel in their lack of ability to become successful?

You get angry at players who are proud of being unsuccessful? Did I get that right? :)

No, i meant successful players who seem to revel in their inability to play. I get angry with players who are proud of being really crap and seem determined to stay that way, yet still end up as successful 'musicians'.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1292693' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:50 PM']Who the f*** is Kim Deal?[/quote]
What an extraordinarily aggressive way to ask a simple question.

I can only assume that Google and Wikipedia were having a rare simultaneous outage at the time of your post, so here you go: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Deal"]Kim Deal on Wikipedia[/url].

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1293112' date='Jul 5 2011, 09:50 AM']What an extraordinarily aggressive way to ask a simple question.

I can only assume that Google and Wikipedia were having a rare simultaneous outage at the time of your post, so here you go: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Deal"]Kim Deal on Wikipedia[/url].[/quote]
I think he means, "Kim Deal - who the f*** are you to tell me my business?!".

He's a smart guy, Chris, he knows who she is.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1292342' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:01 PM'][/quote]

Fantastic, i have justed noticed what i said.... :) very good.

Although my conjured up image of what he looked like in Beer goggles behind the bus shelter,
was more obscene and not cuddly bear like at all.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I can't be bothered to read this thread but I'm going to comment anyway :)

Last night our singer told me that the bass player in his old band wasn't a patch on me. He said he was good but couldn't do that "slap thing".

I only do it on Car Wash and maybe the odd bit thrown in here and there. So no mention of my trying to capture the feel of Bob Babbit on Signed, Sealed, Delivered or the fact that I play I Can't Help Myself with one finger in a desperate but totally unsuccessful attempt to sound a bit like JJ. Or that on the last chorus of Rolling in the Deep I play a really nice high harmony part with the vocals. Or even that during the middle eight to Forget You everybody else takes a back seat and I carry the whole band through it.

None of that even registers. But he notices the slap.

Make of that what you will but as far as I can see slap is a totally valid technique, no different to pick or fingers and it's also one that non-bass players, or "norms" tend to enjoy.

The no-slap argument to me, is as pointless as the no pick argument.