Why become a member? ×

Fivers with narrow strings spacing.

mr.noisy

I have 3 x 5ers with narrow(ish) string spacing.

My main bass is a Yamaha BB415 fitted with a U-Retro Pre. This is 19mm at the bridge but is quite narrow at the nut.

The Peavey Cirrus V BXP is 16mm at the bridge and 10mm at the nut combined with a 35" scale and I was very happy with it as #1 bass for a long time.

My Hohner Pro B Bass V fitted with an Artec 2-band pre which has exactly the same spacing as the Cirrus, surprisingly, as it *feels* narrower than the Cirrus - it must be the profile on the back of the neck - the Peavey is shallower than the Hohner.

The only thing I'd say is that if you are into slapping, then, as is well-known, it's easier on wider spacing. However, I can slap easier on the Cirrus than on the Hohner - no idea why.

I don't have any problems moving from one to the other either on string spacing or scale length - it's a matter of knowing your instrument well enough.

I had a Yamaha RBX375 and really liked the tone, but was getting pains between my thumb & first finger due, I believe, to the wider fretboard. These pains disappeared when I moved to a narrower model.

(Shameless plug - I could be pursuaded to part with either the Peavey or the Hohner at the right price......)

G.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1290062' date='Jul 2 2011, 01:24 PM']Are you sure about that OLP?

The SR5 is 17.5mm and I had heard (but never had one in my hands to see) that the OLP 5-string was equal or narrower, certainly not 19mm.

I've been looking for a 19mm 5er and I'd have gone for an 5-string OLP like a shot if it had 19mm![/quote]
I played one in Dublin once, definitely very tight spacing, narrower than 17.5, 16mm maybe....

For me, it's all about the width at the nut. I found a Fender P5 unplayable (they use the same neck on the Jazz V as far as I know), but the Yamaha BB415 is just right, yet still has the same string spacing at the bridge as the Fender.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1290062' date='Jul 2 2011, 01:24 PM']Are you sure about that OLP?

I've been looking for a 19mm 5er and I'd have gone for an 5-string OLP like a shot if it had 19mm![/quote]

+1. The OLP I had was 16.5mm which is one reason why I got rid of it. The G&L Tribute I replaced it with was about the same.

Now I have Bass Collections (19mm, though one has an adjustable bridge so could be narrowed) and a TRB 5P (19mm). And I have really small hands, even before the damage to the left one in a bike accident. I find the combination of a wide flat neck and wide spacing much more comfortable.

I have an Aria Pro II MAB-20/5 (1991). It is 15mm at the bridge and about 9mm at the nut. I've always found it really easy to play and I've got pretty chunky fingers.
I recently got myself something with 19mm spacing though. It took a couple of hours to get used to, but in some ways it's is easier to play. So I think it's worth trying a few different ones and really taking your time with each one to be sure.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1288833' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:40 AM']As far as I'm concerned, anything less than 19mm is "narrow" and anything less than 17.5mm is "unplayable".[/quote]
Yup, me too. I wouldn't even consider a 5 with less than 19 at the bridge.
And I have small hands and very short fingers too. Don't write off a wide spacing just because you think it'll be uncomfortable. You might be surprised.

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1290280' date='Jul 2 2011, 05:09 PM']I played one in Dublin once, definitely very tight spacing, narrower than 17.5, 16mm maybe....[/quote]
I have never measured an OLP against my Ray 5 but the guy I play for has an OLP Tony levin fiver and I'm sure it's narrower than my Ray.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1290754' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:29 AM']The OLP I have has a non-standard bridge on it....[/quote]

and the B abd G strings don't fall off the edge of the fretboard? I thought there wasn't much spare room on the 5-string OLP necks

+1 to the Peavey Cirrus - probably the the narrowest of the 5 stringers I've played. However I play a Spector Euro 5 LX myself and I find that fine even though I don't have the longest fingers in the world. In fact of all my basses (Warwick SS1, Aria SB1000 and Spector Euro 5 LX) the Spector is probably my first choice bass 90% of the time due to its ease of play and tone.

[quote name='darkandrew' post='1291681' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:15 AM']+1 to the Peavey Cirrus - probably the the narrowest of the 5 stringers I've played. However I play a Spector Euro 5 LX myself and I find that fine even though I don't have the longest fingers in the world. In fact of all my basses (Warwick SS1, Aria SB1000 and Spector Euro 5 LX) the Spector is probably my first choice bass 90% of the time due to its ease of play and tone.[/quote]

I've played a Cirrus 5er, as narrow as it was(I prefer somewhat wider), it was super comfy, and the strings were so low.... so low.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='1291907' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:52 AM'][b]Ibanez[/b], Spector, ESP, Peavey, Cort, and warwicks with adjustable bridge saddles.[/quote]

Strange, I always thought the spacing on my BTB775 was pretty wide. On the website it doesn't tell you the spacing, or if it does then i'm too slow to work it out. On the off chance, does anyone know it?

[quote name='Spaced' post='1299321' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:46 PM']Strange, I always thought the spacing on my BTB775 was pretty wide. On the website it doesn't tell you the spacing, or if it does then i'm too slow to work it out. On the off chance, does anyone know it?[/quote]

BTB's have 19mm string spacing.

Other Ibanez models are 16.5mm spacing.

[quote name='dave.c' post='1290268' date='Jul 2 2011, 04:58 PM']A shameless plug for my LAG Collection 5 String currently strung EADGC. Very well made in France in the mid 1980's not one of the far eastern ones.
Narrow string spacing about 16mm, neck is very comfortable (for me anyway) only about 3mm wider than my Spector Rebop at the nut.

[attachment=83880:Lag_01.jpg][attachment=83881:Lag_04.jpg][/quote]

+1 for the shameless plug... I used to own this (I guess as there cant be many around) It has a very narrow neck and souds amazing!! stunning in real life, photos dont do it justice. I only sold it as it was too narrow for my fat fingers. It's the only bass I sold that I really miss.