Why become a member? ×

Fivers with narrow strings spacing.

mr.noisy

Hi there,
I'm planning to move myself into a 5'ver, but i'm looking for a bass with a really narrow string spacing and neck as i''ve got a really small hands. On the other side i dont have too much money so i cant order a custom bass. I'm thinking about tuning in a high C instead of low B string so 34" scale or lower will be a plus. I was wondering if the Spector Euro 5lx will do the job? It's a 35" scale but strings spacing at bridge is 0.66" so i think it's a quite narrow, am i right?

I'll send my naked pictures for the best advice :)

Go and try some 5ers first and see what spacing feels best.
This whole thing about small/big hands requiring small/big spacings is a fallacy - it's more to do with technique than anything. For example, I have huge hands and can play any sized 4, 5, 6 neck (given a few minutes to get used to it). I play guitar too and find the transition between the two very easy.

Edited by Ou7shined

80's Steinbergers, 80's Yamaha BB5000, Musicman Stingray 5, G&L L1500 and some of the latest Status basses are offered with narrow spacing as a custom option. Generally a lot of the mid 80's 5 string basses had narrow string spacing and then the spacing tended to widen out after the 90's.

I don't think the Spectors I own are particularly narrow by comparison. The Yammie BB5000 is amongst the narrowest IIRC.

Beware that a smaller spacing can make a 5'er near impossible to play comfortably, the biggest risk it's strings sliding off to the sides of the neck. I have 2 1986 PRS basses in my collection a 4 and a 5. the fiver was and still is a massive design faux-pas (read cockup) on PRS side, they really f'd up the spacing of it big time, and as I've mentioned I had to adjust my technique to stop the G string from sliding off the frets to the side. I had a new nut fitted with an even narrower spacing to attempt to stop this but the negative result was an even more narrow spacing and very dfifficult to play yet very expensive bass with their 10 grade top which is the highest quality maple cap they did.

Believe it or not what PRS did here was to use the same pickups for both basses as in same width, same size neck pocket at the body, i.e. same width neck, also same bridge to which they squeezed an extra saddle and made the neck just slightly bigger from frets 1 to 12, but with the spacing at the bridge being a stupid 15mil makes it pretty much useless. We live and learn.

See Pic below: the whale blue quilt maple top is the 5'er. It is now just a collector item for me, I keep it in storage and never actually play it.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1288833' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:40 AM']It might be helpful to define what the OP means by "really narrow" ... is that 16.5mm? 14mm?

As far as I'm concerned, anything less than 19mm is "narrow" and anything less than 17.5mm is "unplayable".

:)[/quote]

I've never seen a bass with 14 mm spacing (but i'm wondering what is the string spacing in a fretted 6 string CT that Les Claypool have, it's look like the narrowest spacing ever), i can imagine only that it might be a true unplayable. I think 16.5mm would be perfect for me. My problem is especially the pinky finger, sometimes when i play on the higher positions it's almost impossible for me to play notes on the E string with my pinky so belive me, when i say i've got a small hands it's not an excuse.

I have no idea on numbers, but my corvette $$ seems like a very standard string spacing for a 5er to me. Now I would recommend the Epiphone non-reverse bodied thunderbird, a lovely PJ pickup combo, very narrow string spacing, rather rare, and deaver has one for sale on here at a reasonable price. I got mine not too long ago and i've rather fallen in love with it. Whatever you do, do not get this confused for a reverse bodied model (the modern shape, which is a lot more common), the string spacing on those 5er's is wickedly huge, I should know, I have one!

EDIT: here's mine: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140757"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140757[/url] - pics are half way down the thread
deaver's for sale one: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116644&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116644&hl=[/url] his is older, which explains the headstock differences

the other colour they did them in was a seafoam green, if that's your sort of thing

Edited by dc2009

[quote name='dc2009' post='1288946' date='Jul 1 2011, 01:06 PM']I have no idea on numbers, but my corvette $$ seems like a very standard string spacing for a 5er to me. Now I would recommend the Epiphone non-reverse bodied thunderbird, a lovely PJ pickup combo, very narrow string spacing, rather rare, and deaver has one for sale on here at a reasonable price. I got mine not too long ago and i've rather fallen in love with it. Whatever you do, do not get this confused for a reverse bodied model (the modern shape, which is a lot more common), the string spacing on those 5er's is wickedly huge, I should know, I have one!

EDIT: here's mine: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140757"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140757[/url] - pics are half way down the thread
deaver's for sale one: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116644&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116644&hl=[/url] his is older, which explains the headstock differences

the other colour they did them in was a seafoam green, if that's your sort of thing[/quote]

Thanks a lot for that, but unfortunately the shapes of Thunderbirds are faaaaaaar away from my personal taste. :)

[quote name='mr.noisy' post='1288884' date='Jul 1 2011, 12:21 PM']... when i play on the higher positions it's almost impossible for me to play notes on the E string with my pinky so belive me, when i say i've got a small hands it's not an excuse.[/quote]

Go up a string?

:)

[quote name='Danimal' post='1289068' date='Jul 1 2011, 02:29 PM']ESP 5-strings have pretty narrow spacing.[/quote]

There was a stunning ESP Horizon 5'er on here, but I would have needed to sell a bollock or trade something I'd regret. Beautiful bass :)

[quote name='mr.noisy' post='1289037' date='Jul 1 2011, 02:03 PM']Thanks a lot for that, but unfortunately the shapes of Thunderbirds are faaaaaaar away from my personal taste. :)[/quote]

That's a shame, cos the non-reverse is really quite something! I hope you find something that suits though!

One thing I would say is that from my opinion and experience with 5ers, it's not the string spacing that matters so much in relation with hand size but more the neck profile. Now my hands are relatively large and slender, but I struggled to get on with playing even a 4 string fender p bass, because i couldn't reach notes all that easily because of the super fat neck (boy did I hate it), if you go for a slim neck profile I think that will make more of a difference than the spacing IMO. Something like an Ibanez would be right up your street, but don't overlook Dean if you're after something cheapish.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1288824' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:36 AM']Beware that a smaller spacing can make a 5'er near impossible to play comfortably, the biggest risk it's strings sliding off to the sides of the neck. I have 2 1986 PRS basses in my collection a 4 and a 5. the fiver was and still is a massive design faux-pas (read cockup) on PRS side, they really f'd up the spacing of it big time, and as I've mentioned I had to adjust my technique to stop the G string from sliding off the frets to the side. I had a new nut fitted with an even narrower spacing to attempt to stop this but the negative result was an even more narrow spacing and very dfifficult to play yet very expensive bass with their 10 grade top which is the highest quality maple cap they did.

Believe it or not what PRS did here was to use the same pickups for both basses as in same width, same size neck pocket at the body, i.e. same width neck, also same bridge to which they squeezed an extra saddle and made the neck just slightly bigger from frets 1 to 12, but with the spacing at the bridge being a stupid 15mil makes it pretty much useless. We live and learn.

See Pic below: the whale blue quilt maple top is the 5'er. It is now just a collector item for me, I keep it in storage and never actually play it.

[/quote]
Swap the necks and the bridges over, Job done :)

check out a washburn bb-15, active 5 string, 34 inch scale, basically its a rip off of a yamaha rbx.. but only 249 qui new.. a secondhand one would sort you out, cuz at that money you get to see what works for you. The spacing is pretty narrow indeed. [url="http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=washburn+bb+15+bass&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=632"]http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...280&bih=632[/url]

...Reaches for tape measure...

Warwick Fortress MM5 17mm
Warwick Streamer LX6 16mm
Vigier Passion 5 (S3) 17mm
OLP MM3 19mm (and my 'Ray 5 was about the same IIRC)
Hohner B2a (5) 18mm

The first 3 have adjustable string spacing provided by the bridge, perhaps that's something to look for along with a neck shape/width/profile that suits your hands...

[quote name='mr.noisy' post='1288749' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:49 AM']Hi there,
I'm planning to move myself into a 5'ver, but i'm looking for a bass with a really narrow string spacing and neck as i''ve got a really small hands. On the other side i dont have too much money so i cant order a custom bass. I'm thinking about tuning in a high C instead of low B string so 34" scale or lower will be a plus. I was wondering if the Spector Euro 5lx will do the job? It's a 35" scale but strings spacing at bridge is 0.66" so i think it's a quite narrow, am i right?

I'll send my naked pictures for the best advice :)[/quote]

Don't assume that because you have small hands a narrow spacing will be better for you. I made that mistake too. Well, it was a mistake for me, as it turns out I prefer wide spacing and wide fretboards... others are happier with the opposite.

Just go out and try everything you can, to figure what string spacing you prefer, and whether particular basses have a neck profile you really prefer.

I find a wide spacing makes the transition from 4 to 5 strings extremely simple and easy to adjust. For me. All this is IMO and IME etc etc. I also find that playing a narrow spacing 5er after playing a wide spacing 5er exclusively and intensively for a couple of days doesn't give me trouble. So I figure that wide spacing for me it's really a good move because it allows me to be comfortable quickly (Squier Jazz V DeLuxe active... surprisingly good bass), and then I can play better my better sounding G&L L2500 and MusicMan SUB5...
But if I needed to gig today with a 5er... I'd take the Jazz with the very wide fretboard. It's the most comfortable for me. And believe me, I don't have big hands at all.

So go out and try everything before commiting to narrow. You might be surprised.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1289622' date='Jul 1 2011, 09:44 PM']...Reaches for tape measure...

Warwick Fortress MM5 17mm
Warwick Streamer LX6 16mm
Vigier Passion 5 (S3) 17mm
OLP MM3 19mm (and my 'Ray 5 was about the same IIRC)
Hohner B2a (5) 18mm

The first 3 have adjustable string spacing provided by the bridge, perhaps that's something to look for along with a neck shape/width/profile that suits your hands...[/quote]

Are you sure about that OLP?

The SR5 is 17.5mm and I had heard (but never had one in my hands to see) that the OLP 5-string was equal or narrower, certainly not 19mm.

I've been looking for a 19mm 5er and I'd have gone for an 5-string OLP like a shot if it had 19mm!