Why become a member? ×

Installing chrome pickup and bridge covers.

Evil Undead

Ok - I've decided that I'm gonna have a pop at doing this myself. How hard can it be, right?

But being a girl with very little previous use of a drill, I thought I'd better ask for some advice from the experts.

I've got a few concerns.

Firstly - I'm worried about chipping the paint when I drill. If I put some masking tape on the body and drill through that, would that make it not chip? I know the covers will be over the top, but if I want to take them off at any point, I want it to be tidy holes.

Secondly - Would it be a good idea to remove the bridge, pickups and wires etc before I start drilling? I don't wanna be drilling through the ground wire or anything dumb like that.

There may be some people who don't think it's a good idea for me to attempt this myself (my other half included) but I know that I will take every care and not rush it etc - I've heard some horror stories about techs who pass instruments on to the Saturday kid to deal with, or are busy so rush through stuff and make horrible mistakes.

If, however, anyone really does think I shouldn't risk doing it and should take it to a tech, please say so and I'll reconsider :)

Edited by Evil Undead

Are you really sure you want to add these covers to your bass?! Sure they look cool but they get in the way when playing which is why most of the old vintage ones seem to get taken off (and lost!). How about using some adhesive pads to stick them on temporarily and see how you get on with them first before drilling holes?

[url="http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=322630"]http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store...rtNumber=322630[/url]

I tend to play between the bridge and the pickup on my P, as it's more comfortable there. I did toy with the idea Of sticking them on for a while but would rather have them stably installed. I can't see them being an issue with my playing style but can always take them off if I want to :)

I've been playing with covers on for 15yrs. They only got in the way for about 5 minutes and then you get used to them. If you are having any doubts (your post doesn't suggest you are) you could use carpet tape to see how they look & feel. Actually just drilling straight into the bass rarely makes the holes messy but to guarantee you get a clean hole all you need to do is just made a small indent first where you are going to drill and then you wind up with a clean hole. Line the cover up where it goes and make an indent with a point. Take the cover off and then you can drill straight down into the indent. It's a fairly simple job but I must confess it is a bit nerve wracking on the first bass the very first time :) You'll be fine

Thanks for the replies :)

I am very nervous about this because I've only ever picked up a drill once before. But I'm very careful and I know I'll do my best, just don't know how easily the paint chips etc. Would be crap to do a great job bit to have paint chipped off all round the holes!

Did you guys remove the electrics first? I can't really figure out how deep the grounding wire runs, so wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Also, measuring up the hole for the pickup cover, it seems that there's not much wood to work with and the hole would be a matter of millimetres from the cavity - has this caused a problem for anyone here?

Hi, echoing other's comments, it is pretty easy.
Done it myself on my basses, though at the moment prefering no cover over the pickup, as I found that's the sweetspot for me on a P-Bass. I've done it with the strings still on, electrics in etc....

Would suggest having a few goes with your drill on an old piece of wood first though, just to get the feel of the drill if you haven't used one before. Alternatively, shouldn't think a tech would charge any more than a tenner for drilling four holes, and shouldn't be any chance of messing it up!

However, they do look cool IMHO

Good luck!

Edited by nick

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1273897' date='Jun 18 2011, 04:41 PM']Thanks for the replies :)

I am very nervous about this because I've only ever picked up a drill once before. But I'm very careful and I know I'll do my best, just don't know how easily the paint chips etc. Would be crap to do a great job bit to have paint chipped off all round the holes!

Did you guys remove the electrics first? I can't really figure out how deep the grounding wire runs, so wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Also, measuring up the hole for the pickup cover, it seems that there's not much wood to work with and the hole would be a matter of millimetres from the cavity - has this caused a problem for anyone here?[/quote]

I've just done this and shared some of your concerns.

To avoid chipping the paint I used masking tape, as suggested above. I also started off with a hobby drill and a tiny bit (something like 1mm), before drilling the full-size hole.

I don't think you need to worry about the bridge-ground - the routing will have been designed to avoid the bridge-cover screw.

And in the cavity yes, there isn't much wood for one of the screws to sit in, but it doesn't need much - it's under very little strain. After checking very carefully to make sure I had the cover in the right place (so was drilling the hole in exactly the right place) I just went for it and it was fine.

Go carefully and I'm sure you'll have no problems.

[quote name='mart' post='1274044' date='Jun 18 2011, 07:32 PM']a tiny bit (something like 1mm), before drilling the full-size hole.[/quote]

That's the advice I was going to give too! The less material you drill out at any one time, the less risk of damaging the surrounding area

I can't see why you're even bothering to use a drill for the bridge cover. Just use a bradawl (or something similar) to make the indentations where you want the screws to go then screw them in. Wood screws are self tapping so there's no need to drill a hole out first. A bit of soap on the screw threads will make them go in much easier.

The only place where you might need a drill would be on the scratchplate, though I'd probably just use a bradawl again, heated up so it melts a little hole through the plastic.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1274393' date='Jun 19 2011, 08:00 AM']Lots of good advice here, thanks guys...[/quote]
And some bad.
Tape will not prevent chipping.... it may save you if your drill decides to go walkabout though.
The bradawl idea is not a very good one at all.
Use a metal/multi-purpose bit instead of a ripper style wood one as these are countersunk and will cut it's way more gradually.

To see if covers were right for me, I successfully gigged with them on just using carefully and firmly applied blu-tac. It can be surprisingly strong stuff, try it at home yourself first if you have any concerns about it falling off.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1274393' date='Jun 19 2011, 08:00 AM']I am intrigued by the sticky Velcro dots idea as well, no drilling :) are the dots easy to remove if I want to?[/quote]

Same as removign stickers. Meths, white spirit or WD40 are my favoured weapons there.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1274425' date='Jun 19 2011, 09:16 AM']I can't see why you're even bothering to use a drill for the bridge cover. Just use a bradawl (or something similar) to make the indentations where you want the screws to go then screw them in. Wood screws are self tapping so there's no need to drill a hole out first. A bit of soap on the screw threads will make them go in much easier.

The only place where you might need a drill would be on the scratchplate, though I'd probably just use a bradawl again, heated up so it melts a little hole through the plastic.[/quote]

Hmm... I would prefer to do this and not use a drill at all, but I thought that by just screwing them in I would risk cracking or splitting the wood. Is this not the case?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1274461' date='Jun 19 2011, 10:06 AM']Same as removign stickers. Meths, white spirit or WD40 are my favoured weapons there.[/quote]

Would none of these bother the finish on my bass? I've used white spirit on pick guards before, but not straight on to the body finish.

guitar body finishes made of polyurethane or acrylic lacquer are built to withstand a bit of meths or white spirit on a cloth, but if you leave a load of meths pooled on the surface fro a few hours it may start to go spotty or cloudy. Now you are hardly like to do that are you?
Oil or wax finishes are less ahrdy but I have no hesitation using a bit of white spirit on a cloth to clean down a bass body.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1274489' date='Jun 19 2011, 10:33 AM']Hmm... I would prefer to do this and not use a drill at all, but I thought that by just screwing them in I would risk cracking or splitting the wood. Is this not the case?[/quote]
Not if you're careful. Having said that other people on here seem to think it's a bad idea so maybe you're better off fannying about with drills & stuff.
Don't want you blaming me if you f*** it up. :)

You'd have to be careful not to crack the poly finish, but that is the case with using a drill as well.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1274577' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:01 PM']Someone suggested to me that it's possible to use blu-tack to secure them on - anyone know if blu-tack would damage the finish?...[/quote]
Have a look at my post above. I wouldn't have suggested it if it did. :)

Presumably you'll be using something about the size of a scratchplate screw so you don't need to use anything bigger than a 1mm drill, the drill should be the same width as the middle part of the threaded part of the screw (shank) NOT including the actual thread, use anything bigger & you could strip out the hole & get no grip off the screw.
As said already, using the masking tape will be great for stopping the drill from slipping. You could also wrap some tape around the drill bit about 1 cm from the tip so that you don't drill too deep. Using double-sided sticky-tape to put the covers on first to get a correct position, measure so that the gaps are equal eitherside of the strings for eg.
I'd also recommend buying a new drill bit for the job, that size would be a couple of quid at most - any decent DIY shop will sell you a single one.

When you're putting the screw in start off by holding the tip of the screwdriver as well as the handle; to avoid the screwdriver slipping off & gouging your bass finish.

Fender pickguard screws are 2.5mm.
1mm is too small, 1.5mm is the best at the size if you ask me.
Get a couple of bits, they snap so easily at that size, even for 4 holes. Better to have a spare bit than have to go back and buy another for the sake of a couple of quid.

It's not too hard, I did all of the holes on my bass body using a crappy nutool drill I borrowed off my neighbour, bad idea but I got fed up and impatient of waiting to use a drill press. All of the holes are exactly lined up and straight, all about taking your time, luckily the chuck was straight as a die (surprising for such a cheap bit of kit).

Put a few bits of tape roughly where the holes with go, stick the covers into the position you want then using a nail tap a hole dead centre, get in a stable position to have the drill dead straight. Make sure the bit is it straight and the chuck is tight and tape off the bit (taking into account the thickness of the pickguard and covers) so you don't drill deeper than is needed.
It's easy.

Edited by Ross

[quote name='RhysP' post='1274425' date='Jun 19 2011, 09:16 AM']I can't see why you're even bothering to use a drill for the bridge cover. Just use a bradawl (or something similar) to make the indentations where you want the screws to go then screw them in. Wood screws are self tapping so there's no need to drill a hole out first.[/quote]
That's what I did. It was easy and it worked with no problems.