Why become a member? ×

Anyone know who this is ?

blamelouis

[quote name='paul h' post='1270813' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:07 PM']Judging his playing is still being judgemental. Not being judgemental would be a quick "not for me" and moving on. Dress it up however you like but we get these threads all the time. Pages and pages of unwarranted criticism. The basschat collective doesn't seem to able to let an opportunity pass to point out some else's flaws, or prove that they are correct/better.

He does what he does. He does it well.

Whether you like it or not is down to your...what's the word? Oh yeah, judgement!

:)[/quote]

But he does it too loud! That's the only bit that annoys me, I have a peep over someone's shoulder and move. 8 hours later from the other end of the theatre and I'm ready to kill someone but not Nigel he's a nice guy so he is endangering your life if your there :)

To be fair he's really talented! I'd love to have his chops. Some of the lightning fast stuff sounds really cool, It's just a shame that he's just showcasing that mostly, and kinda skips on the groove a bit. I feel if he only plays like he did on the OP's video he's putting his skills to waste.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1270960' date='Jun 16 2011, 07:21 AM']Billy Sheehan was trying to talk at last years bassday up by the theatre doors and clutterbook still kept bashing away. As for the traders themselves as has been said in previous threads they can't really ask punters to refrain from slapping can they? I'm not an EBS fan or a slap fan anyway.[/quote]

Last Bass Day every time I went up to the stand it was Bernie playing....

+1 on the judgemental thing.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1270976' date='Jun 16 2011, 08:11 AM']+1 on the judgemental thing.[/quote]
Crikey. We can get a bit earnest on here can't we.

Although many of us detest the nail gun stuff, no-one has slagged off the man himself, have we? Loosen up a bit. We are ALL judgemental about most things and other people and ourselves. If we weren't we would be pretty useless human beings. We have to make judgements all the time, or we will probably die.

Anyway, any idiot drummer can knock out percussive 32nd note triplets in time all day, just because it is done on a bass does not make it clever or compelling, it's just a circus act. Interesting once or twice, after that, you never want to see it again, unless you have personal problems :)

To knock a nail into a piece of wood, I would choose a hammer, but if I chose a piece of parmiggiano would you want to watch it on youtube more than once? Would you say it was amazing? Tell all your friends to watch it? 'Like' it? "He knocked a nail with some cheese!! AHMAAAAZIN!". If you would do that, I would certainly judge [i]you [/i]in some way :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1271105' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:08 AM']To knock a nail into a piece of wood, I would choose a hammer, but if I chose a piece of parmiggiano...[/quote]

Well that would just be stupid wouldn't it?

Pecorino Romano is your man for nail-insertion related handiwork. Everybody knows that. :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1271127' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:27 AM']Well that would just be stupid wouldn't it?

Pecorino Romano is your man for nail-insertion related handiwork. Everybody knows that. :)[/quote]
:) You're quite correct, the rind is much firmer isn't it.

[quote name='silddx' post='1271105' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:08 AM']Crikey. We can get a bit earnest on here can't we.

Although many of us detest the nail gun stuff, no-one has slagged off the man himself, have we? Loosen up a bit. We are ALL judgemental about most things and other people and ourselves. If we weren't we would be pretty useless human beings. We have to make judgements all the time, or we will probably die.

Anyway, any idiot drummer can knock out percussive 32nd note triplets in time all day, just because it is done on a bass does not make it clever or compelling, it's just a circus act. Interesting once or twice, after that, you never want to see it again, unless you have personal problems :lol:

To knock a nail into a piece of wood, I would choose a hammer, but if I chose a piece of parmiggiano would you want to watch it on youtube more than once? Would you say it was amazing? Tell all your friends to watch it? 'Like' it? "He knocked a nail with some cheese!! AHMAAAAZIN!". If you would do that, I would certainly judge [i]you [/i]in some way :)[/quote]

Don't call me Ernest. :D

As for the second para, now who's being earnest? :) And I doubt Nige takes what he's doing half as seriously as those slagging him off seem to, or seem to think he does. In the context of the thread I find the comment "loosen up", quite hilarious seeing as that's what's I've been trying to say all along.

To be fair, is it Nige himself who's posting this stuff on Youtube? If so then maybe I'd advise against it, but otherwise it's not really his fault is it? And as for your analogy, it may be that someone would find knocking a nail in with a piece of cheese amazing and they'd be quite entitled to do so. I'd use Cathedral City personally though; the block's nice and heavy.

FWIW at Bass Day a few years ago someone asked Nige to play something; Jonas Hellborg was about 2 feet away and Nige said "I'm not playing in front of him!"

Edited by 4000

On a school trip last week I saw a guy knock a nail in with a banana he'd held In liquid nitrogen. It was cool, but then the banana broke. :)
A hammer probably would've been better, cause when the banana broke I felt sad. Such an ignominious end for the poor banana. I mean, he'd never have seen it coming.

Still...

[quote name='4000' post='1270976' date='Jun 16 2011, 08:11 AM']Last Bass Day every time I went up to the stand it was Bernie playing....

+1 on the judgemental thing.[/quote]
I have never seen Bernie slap in 3 consecutive years though (word is he is very good when he does) usually demoing the EBS effects (which aren't my bag) but that is what he is there for as it was an EBS stand as much as a GB stand.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1271855' date='Jun 16 2011, 05:13 PM']I have never seen Bernie slap in 3 consecutive years though (word is he is very good when he does) usually demoing the EBS effects (which aren't my bag) but that is what he is there for as it was an EBS stand as much as a GB stand.[/quote]

Actually last time he seemed to be spending most of his time telling people how Dave Swift's Dingwall compared poorly with his GBs (I went back 3 times throughout the day to be confronted by the same scenario), but that's another story....

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1271660' date='Jun 16 2011, 03:24 PM']Not read whole thread but does anyone know of any recordings Clutterbuck has made? I hear his youtube things a lot but don't know what he does when he is not on a trade stand?[/quote]

Sells strings I think.... :)

You could hear that over the noise then? FWIW I dont think Daves Dingwall is any better or worse than a GB although I do prefer the low B on a GB Rumour, Build quality I would put on par which would be both as top notch IMO so thats not a criticism of either. Neither are my sort of bass to own though barring a GB Spitfire 5 in a solid colour maybe, The duck egg blue is real nice. If I order it now it might be made by christmas too, just not sure which year :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1271660' date='Jun 16 2011, 03:24 PM']Not read whole thread but does anyone know of any recordings Clutterbuck has made? I hear his youtube things a lot but don't know what he does when he is not on a trade stand?[/quote]

Apparently has been a member of Dare (Darren Wharton's band) but not clear from wiki entry which album, if any, Nigel C played on. I'm guessing he was an early member so maybe Out Of The Silence or Blood From Stone? purely guessing.

[quote name='KevB' post='1272681' date='Jun 17 2011, 01:09 PM']Apparently has been a member of Dare (Darren Wharton's band) but not clear from wiki entry which album, if any, Nigel C played on. I'm guessing he was an early member so maybe Out Of The Silence or Blood From Stone? purely guessing.[/quote]

Here he is with some other musicians, do watch until the end, or skip to the end, whatever saves your ears :)

. . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1272889' date='Jun 17 2011, 04:09 PM']Here he is with some other musicians, do watch until the end, or skip to the end, whatever saves your ears :)[/quote]

:)

Noise Police? Nah. Taste police, more like.

'Excuse me chaps - can I just stop you there? No reason.. I just want you to stop.'

This is the best laugh I've had in ages. You guys are brutal :)

I watch this guy on Youtube for tutorials and stuff. Dman or somthing and he went to one of those Bass Roadshows and he said everyone was doing this and it did his head in so he intentionally didn't play any slap bass. He's very good at slap bass too. I've also seen Bass roadshows advertised were they have stipulated that no slap bass is allowed.

When I first saw it reminded me of one of those twats that go into a guitar shop and gived it large just to show off. I fookin hate that.

Anyway, with the risk of being lampooned I would like to be able to play slap bass as fast as that but I would endeavour to be a bit more tuneful.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1273225' date='Jun 17 2011, 09:25 PM']What about this one !!!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYJj4RPxgY&feature=feedu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYJj4RPxgY&feature=feedu[/url][/quote]

Fap fap fap

[quote name='Johnston' post='1273225' date='Jun 17 2011, 09:25 PM']What about this one !!!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYJj4RPxgY&feature=feedu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYJj4RPxgY&feature=feedu[/url][/quote]
:)

I see a bottle of Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil on the table (well I had to look [i]somewhere[/i] didn't I). I wonder what he uses it for. Those panties can't be easy to get into.