Why become a member? ×

Anyone know who this is ?

blamelouis

[quote name='Muzz' post='1270189' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:55 PM']Nige is a good guy, I've known him for a long time. The 'Clutterbucking' (and he's got his own entry in urbandictionary.com to prove it) is just a stunt, and it is does impress the, erm, impressionable, and of course there's no such thing as bad publicity*. There's a lot more to his playing than this, tho - he's a very talented bassist.

To stretch a footballing metaphor, if someone posted a link of Lionel Messi doing some keepy-uppy, it'd be an unwise move to conclude he's a crap footballer. I'd imagine just as keepy-uppy sells Nike and Adidas, pointless slap sells strings.

On the other hand, that fantastic line mentioned earlier on the Bassday thread does apply:

"Excuse me mate, but is that as hard to play as it is to listen to?" :)

* Despite much of the content of this thread :)[/quote]

If the guy is otherwise top class, and I don't doubt he is, why not then play something (even slap) that is more rhythmic and groovy, strange to think that speed would impress over content, its his choice, but I do wonder why?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Muzz' post='1270189' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:55 PM']Nige is a good guy, I've known him for a long time. The 'Clutterbucking' (and he's got his own entry in urbandictionary.com to prove it) is just a stunt, and it is does impress the, erm, impressionable, and of course there's no such thing as bad publicity*. There's a lot more to his playing than this, tho - he's a very talented bassist.

To stretch a footballing metaphor, if someone posted a link of Lionel Messi doing some keepy-uppy, it'd be an unwise move to conclude he's a crap footballer. I'd imagine just as keepy-uppy sells Nike and Adidas, pointless slap sells strings.[/quote]

Biiiiig +1.

I never understand why people assume a player can only do one thing. I play differently in every situation I'm in, and widdle incessantly when I'm on my own. I thought everybody did! :)

I've maybe seen/heard him playing 5 minutes total to a proper groove. He's a good player, I won't deny that.

Unfortunately I've also seen about 24 hours of him playing that racket.

If he only does it because people want him to, then why was he doing it before the show opened? When no one was there? Why volume on 11 when the din is so trebly it can clearly be heard over all the other noise in the hall anyway?

I'm not saying he's not a nice person to talk to, but he clearly enjoys showing off and doesn't realise that it gets old quickly. Most people at the show that stopped and watched him stayed for maybe 30 seconds or a minute, then got sick of it and walked away rather than staying to see more on the roto stand. I think the problem is that he's so busy playing fast, he never drops into a groove. The kind of players that [i]can[/i] do this style of slap and are musically respected generally hit a groove, then do a crazy bar or two to show off, then go back to the groove. He seems quite happy to just play sh*te with no feel from start to finish for the sake of showing off.

[quote name='4000' post='1270315' date='Jun 15 2011, 04:46 PM']Biiiiig +1.

I never understand why people assume a player can only do one thing. I play differently in every situation I'm in, and widdle incessantly when I'm on my own. I thought everybody did! :)[/quote]
These comments only come from people that haven't endured the live 12 hour show! I have ONLY ever seen him play rhythmsync. Again though seems a nice guy and it's a giggle for five mins after that I wish you could just bring the volume down a touch :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1270347' date='Jun 15 2011, 05:22 PM']I'm not saying he's not a nice person to talk to, but he clearly enjoys showing off and doesn't realise that it gets old quickly. Most people at the show that stopped and watched him stayed for maybe 30 seconds or a minute, then got sick of it and walked away rather than staying to see more on the roto stand. I think the problem is that he's so busy playing fast, he never drops into a groove. The kind of players that [i]can[/i] do this style of slap and are musically respected generally hit a groove, then do a crazy bar or two to show off, then go back to the groove. He seems quite happy to just play sh*te with no feel from start to finish for the sake of showing off.[/quote]
Kinda like watching Mark King play Mr Pink without the rest of the gig, or band, but for about 12 hours then?

I first met Nigel years ago when slap was popularised by Mark King. He was the Rotosound rep. I remember being astounded by his slap technique.

He can definitely play all other styles, but this remains his party piece. Don't forget, there are loads of players that still like this style, and I have to admit he was the first person I ever saw doing this thumb and finger technique.

Lay off him a bit, guys. It may be annoying, but are some of you maybe just a tad jealous?

Edited by Pete Academy

I remember him working in A1 Music in Manchester in the late 80's. I asked to try out some bass, left handed, he was very pleasent and handed it to me.

He then picked up a bass himself and plugged it into an amp an proceeded to do all this slap stuff very loudly as I was about to try out the bass.

Not good.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1270623' date='Jun 15 2011, 08:27 PM']Lay off him a bit, guys. It may be annoying, but are some of you maybe just a tad jealous?[/quote]
I'm sure he's a lovely chap, but we're all entitled to our opinions, Pete.

Sure you - of all people - can appreciate that?

(personal attacks aren't covered by the above, mind)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1270654' date='Jun 15 2011, 08:51 PM']I'm sure he's a lovely chap, but we're all entitled to our opinions, Pete.

Sure you - of all people - can appreciate that?

(personal attacks aren't covered by the above, mind)[/quote]

No probs, mate. He does come in for some stick, though, bless him.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1270677' date='Jun 15 2011, 09:01 PM']No probs, mate. He does come in for some stick, though, bless him.[/quote]
He could start by popping some vids up on YouTube of him playing 'properly' (for wont of a better word). I'm sure that would help redress the balance. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1270350' date='Jun 15 2011, 05:27 PM']These comments only come from people that haven't endured the live 12 hour show! I have ONLY ever seen him play rhythmsync. Again though seems a nice guy and it's a giggle for five mins after that I wish you could just bring the volume down a touch :)[/quote]

I've seen Nige a few times at Bass Day etc and he's never bothered me at all; I haven't noticed him being that loud either, unlike the racket that comes from Bernie's stand.

[quote name='paul h' post='1270749' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:15 PM']We're a judgemental lot aren't we?[/quote]

I don't think anyone's been too judgemental. No one's said he's a bad person, the people who have hinted they think he's a crap all round player have either stood corrected or not argued their point and people like me who've said he's annoying seem to be generally speaking from experience.

If he signed up and came to defend himself on this thread, I'd happily stand by my comments and would be interested to hear why, if he doesn't like being known as "that guy", he hasn't taken the time to upload videos of himself playing grooves (and I did look earlier) to show that he's not a one trick pony. If he's happy to be known for his tasteless showing off at loud volumes, then it's his choice. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1270758' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:21 PM']I don't think anyone's been too judgemental. No one's said he's a bad person, the people who have hinted they think he's a crap all round player have either stood corrected or not argued their point and people like me who've said he's annoying seem to be generally speaking from experience.

If he signed up and came to defend himself on this thread, I'd happily stand by my comments and would be interested to hear why, if he doesn't like being known as "that guy", he hasn't taken the time to upload videos of himself playing grooves (and I did look earlier) to show that he's not a one trick pony. If he's happy to be known for his tasteless showing off at loud volumes, then it's his choice. :)[/quote]

Judging his playing is still being judgemental. Not being judgemental would be a quick "not for me" and moving on. Dress it up however you like but we get these threads all the time. Pages and pages of unwarranted criticism. The basschat collective doesn't seem to able to let an opportunity pass to point out some else's flaws, or prove that they are correct/better.

He does what he does. He does it well.

Whether you like it or not is down to your...what's the word? Oh yeah, judgement!

:)

[quote name='4000' post='1270693' date='Jun 15 2011, 09:13 PM']I've seen Nige a few times at Bass Day etc and he's never bothered me at all; I haven't noticed him being that loud either, unlike the racket that comes from Bernie's stand.[/quote]
Billy Sheehan was trying to talk at last years bassday up by the theatre doors and clutterbook still kept bashing away. As for the traders themselves as has been said in previous threads they can't really ask punters to refrain from slapping can they? I'm not an EBS fan or a slap fan anyway.