Why become a member? ×

I tried FOUR Precisions yesterday!

thebrig

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1264808' date='Jun 11 2011, 12:10 PM']I'm the same, i like new.

Ive bought second hand and lost out with poor instruments, (although not always) and really you dont have any way of changing that.

When it's new you can choose the one you want. The one in store no good? Ask for another until you are happy. Plus you have a guarantee.

A well made American Standard (2008-) will last you for a long time. Plus, they don't need mods. Fender P pickups are perfect.

The Squier CVs are stunning for their money but I know deep down I'll always prefer my MIA P because to me it's perfect out of the box.

Don't worry about resale. People will soon realise the Fender prices have shot up so second hand 2008- models will gain value in the second hand market.[/quote]

+1

I did the same thing on Saturday except with Fender Stratocaters. I came away from Nevada music in Portsmouth with a fabulous brand new USA Strat Deluxe V-Neck for £1,100. This is the first time I have been in a shop, tried lots of instruments and found one that made my pulse race, even though two of the others were the same model and production year.

Playing the instrument first (I usually buy cold) was a revelation and I now have a Strat that feels and sounds wonderful and needs nothing changing. That was well worth the money for buying new.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1267248' date='Jun 13 2011, 01:21 PM']Get the white or black one.

<boredwithhissunburstprecisionsmiley>[/quote]

To be serious I tried lots of Precisions three years ago when I bought mine. The one I liked best was in one of the colour schemes I like least unfortunately. It's very interesting that CNC mass produced stuff can still feel different enough to make a definite perceptible difference between what should be identical products.
Maybe sunburst is better for 'tone' :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1267391' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:15 PM']....I tried lots of Precisions three years ago when I bought mine. The one I liked best was in one of the colour schemes I like least unfortunately. It's very interesting that CNC mass produced stuff can still feel different enough to make a definite perceptible difference between what should be identical products....[/quote]
CNC machines only cut. A manufacturer will buy a batch of wood and will use the lot irrespective of quality, so the thing that influences the feel and sound of all mass produced basses is still the wood.

Having just spent 10 years playing away, I'm afraid I have to admit I'm genetically programmed to prefer three tone sunburst basses.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1265482' date='Jun 11 2011, 10:44 PM']Maybe I just have a talent for buying awesome basses at very reasonable prices, even when they're new?
I've only bought 2 s/h basses so far. I have taken a slight loss here and there on some I sold on (through lack of use) but nothing major. I reckon at least five of my instruments purchased new would break even or hit profit if I sold them s/h. One would make sufficient to cover any losses on the others in any case!

Meanwhile, back on topic;

How can £1048 (surely some bizarre Trace Elliot reference!) be acceptable, and £1167 be too much? There's only about 10% difference, and you can always stretch a little bit...
I don't get the big price differential between the Rosewood Am Std and the Maple Am Std either.. Did I miss something?

In any case, sounds like a toss-up between the Maple Am Std and the 60th Anniversary to me.
The 60th might re-sell better... Until the 65th, 70th, 75th etc. come along.
You could always start saving for the centenary edition. When will that be? 2051? :)[/quote]
The shop offered me the american std for £1000, but no discount on the 60th anniversary, so in reality, the difference would be £167,
I know it might not seem a lot more, but I went in to try the basses hoping that the cheaper Squier CV would satisfy my needs, but as I said, I found the American std just so much better, and I really do have to have a limit, otherwise if I tried one that was say £1500, do I then tell myself that it is only a little bit more than £1157, where do I stop?

As for the big big price differential, I think you did miss something.
I did say that one was the American [b]"Special"[/b] rosewood board, the other was a American [b]"Standard"[/b] maple board, and as others have pointed out, the [b]"Special"[/b] seems like it is just a revamped HW1.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Still not sure what to do though.

Maybe s/h would be the sensible route to take, and yes, I would seriously love a proper "vintage" model, but at the moment, funds wont allow.

I bought my USA std without trying it, largely due to price. My local Sound Control at the time had one in stock which i tried but i specifically wanted a sunburst/white scratchplate/maple neck and because they would have to order it in they weren't prepared to budge on the list price which at the time was £949. I ended up buying it from GAK for £729 delivered, popped it into a local shop for a £30 set up and it plays like a dream, job's a good 'un! I'm glad i took the chance and bought "cold", i have a friend with both a Squier P and a MIM P and we both agree that the USA just feels and sounds better, i can't really put my finger on why, it just does. So if you see a good used USA Std for a good price, i wouldn't have any worries about buying it without playing it first, the money you'll save would far outweigh the cost of a set up!

Never would i pay 1000 for a new Fender when 1 you can them used for sometimes nearly half that.. 2 When you think how good and sometimes better Japan made basses are, there is no contest..IMO.. you can loose so much money when you buy a brand new bass and then try and sell...and most of the time the used ones feel better and are better set up by guys on BC... i know where my money would go..

Its all down to whether you are happy with buying blind from either second hand or brand new. Brand new, you have a warranty and returns policy.

Ive seen too many basses second hand that COULD be perfect, then there is a mod, or something quite not right which I could avoid if buying new.

£1000 for a new Fender is a lot, but then again £1199 for an imported Lakland made in the Cort factory is also very expensive. Prices are crazy at the moment.

Totally agree MIJ Fenders are great, but IMO, even the one I owned was no 'good MIA'...for me the MIJ pickups were not full enough, still good, but thats why the MIJ was almost half the price of the MIA when I bought it.

MIJs have gone up due to supply and demand, but the basic MIJ models for me are always great, but not MIA standard. It all depends what you are after.

I have played some AWFUL Fenders, MIA, MIM, and MIJ. Its always down to finding one you like.

Heh... you have to try a few and buy the one that feels/plays/sounds the best to you. It's all subjective, a bit like Marmite I guess.

I bought a super 2002 Mex Precision of the bay a while ago.. some light modding and it became my 'go to' fretted over my Singray!

£250!

I have real gas for the burst RoadWorn 57 Precision. I can get one here in Oxford for £950. They are cracking basses.

I've played the American Standard in the window of Banks, York. It's a nice bass, but but not worth the original £1049 price tag - in fact I'd still shy away from it's reduced £899 sticker. Good basses, but I'm not sure if they're all that.

I'd be much more inclined to go second hand. Some tried, trusted and loved instrument from here, will give you much the same and save on your pocket.

When I was after a decent Precision, I ended up getting RW 50's precision. & damn if it aint one THE best P basses I've EVER played! I aint fussy about the 'relic' thing, but it actually suits me as it doesn't matter if I bump it on our crowded stages!
I've a Reggie Hamilton Sig also (a P/J pup figuration) & BOTH these basses are MIM. IME the sig models & RW models seem to be a definate 'cut above' regular MIM Fenders.
I'm simply saying- if you're IN the market for a GOOD P bass & you can find a RW at a good Price- they're definately worth it!
Mine's(Is'pose like all of 'em) is Alder with Maple board & is darn light. Sounds fantastic with flats on, great with rounds, I Simply cannot fault it.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='1276609' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:34 AM']When I was after a decent Precision, I ended up getting RW 50's precision. & damn if it aint one THE best P basses I've EVER played! I aint fussy about the 'relic' thing, but it actually suits me as it doesn't matter if I bump it on our crowded stages!
I've a Reggie Hamilton Sig also (a P/J pup figuration) & BOTH these basses are MIM. IME the sig models & RW models seem to be a definate 'cut above' regular MIM Fenders.
I'm simply saying- if you're IN the market for a GOOD P bass & you can find a RW at a good Price- they're definately worth it!
Mine's(Is'pose like all of 'em) is Alder with Maple board & is darn light. Sounds fantastic with flats on, great with rounds, I Simply cannot fault it.[/quote]

+1 - those Road Worns are great basses. I tried one out, and it was probably the most comfortable P-Bass I`ve played, aside from a Pino Palladino Signature - which costs about £2400, in comparison to the RW at £1000. The Road Worn is just like those comfy old trainers, or the knackered saggy sofa that you have - just sooooo comfortable.

They sound great too!