Why become a member? ×

Making an acoustic bass guitar usable at gigs

Clarky

Out of interest, what are the acoustic bass-playing members of BC using to make their bass gig-friendly? Piezo pickups? microphones? I have just acquired an Eko fretless bass (from, you guessed it, Beedster) and fancy trying it out in a live setting. I already have preamp and acoustic bass amplification (Acoustic Image/EA rig) but how best to take the signal/sound from the bass in your view?

Here's another Eko! A bit whacky, but I actually think it's rather cool :)
It'd solve the problem anyway!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eko-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Left-Handed-/260780664147?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb7bd2553"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eko-Acoustic-Bass-Gu...=item3cb7bd2553[/url]

Edited by Ben Jamin

Mine is like this but an unlined fretless - very gypsy jazz/Maccaferri looking

[attachment=82116:2x4strings_large.jpg]

I think I am going to get one of these, as they come highly recommended on Talkbass for this type of instrument - plus it doesn't require reaming out a hole in the wood to take the jack endpin

[url="http://www.kksound.com/floatingbridge.html"]http://www.kksound.com/floatingbridge.html[/url]

Yeah love the look of those Ekos... if you ever decide to get rid I'll take it off you :)

Well I can't say I've tried one but that looks like it'd do the trick - don't know about the whole 'high-output' vibe on an acoustic bass though? I would've thought you'd want something a bit cooler sounding, not hot, on an acoustic. Never heard it though.

Still... Precision pick-ups and tone/volume controls? :)

The easy non destructive method - Jazz bass pickup - fits in soundhole easily. I made some clips up from coat-hanger wire and put felt on the top surface to prevent scratches. I just wired this to a 1/4 " jack plug, no vol / tone. You could always construct a vol & tone circuit in a metal box - just use Jazz bass tone control circuit if needed. A more deluxe feedback resistant method would be construct a wooden oval to fill sound hole (or cover it over), then fit pickup. to wooden oval. Wooden screw down/up 'tabs' to hold in place.

I think I put some foam sponge in mine when I used it amped at volume. Great tone, I really like playing it. The big neck is remarkably comfortable even with my small hands.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1261437' date='Jun 8 2011, 04:47 PM']Out of interest, what are the acoustic bass-playing members of BC using to make their bass gig-friendly? Piezo pickups? microphones? I have just acquired an Eko fretless bass (from, you guessed it, Beedster) and fancy trying it out in a live setting. I already have preamp and acoustic bass amplification (Acoustic Image/EA rig) but how best to take the signal/sound from the bass in your view?[/quote]

I got one of these - Fishman Soundboard Transducer with Endpin Jack - easy to fit, and the endpin replaces the strap button in the usual way:-

[topic="1261437"]www.fishman.com/products/view/sbt-e-soundboard-transducer-with-endpin-jack[/topic]

I fitted the whole thing internally so nothing visible on the external of the acoustic bass body. Very natural sound. The fitting instructions suggested the sensor pad should be fitted close to and under the highest pitch string of the instrument and also, of course, away from any bracing, however, I found I got a more balanced sound that I liked with the sensor located the otherside of the bridge, ie, the sensor pad closest to the low E string on my acoustic bass.

I run it direct into the PA Desk via a RANE AP13 Acoustic Pre amp. I initially found I had some feedback problems but the Graphic EQ on the RANE AP13 enables me to sort it out without to much trouble.

Edited by Nostromo

The endpin jack is probably the least invasive stable solution, plus it doesn't spoil the look of a very bonny unique bass. Must admit i'm a little jealous!

I have a dead simple vol/tone unit wired to the piezo in mine (an old fretless Ozark) and tbh i prefer it to pretty much every battery equipped acoustic bass i've used, especially on a fretless. I just roll the tone right off and it's spot on.

You may want to get some black nylons on there if the bass/neck will take it, sounds wonderful!

I had one about ten years ago - loved it, but it was a real pain if I wanted anything like gig volume. I've got a Martin now..and its really the same story! Lovely sound, very enjoyable to play but hopeless for gigs unless they are really really quiet.

As for pickup, the K&K that sticks inside under the bridge is very good, but you may as well have an enpin jack socket fitted - all the velcro/tape arrangements aren't very durable

Update: I got a K&K floating bridge pickup which installed in about two minutes. Used it at an acoustic rehearsal yesterday (in addition to Rattlin Bone, we are doing an all- acoustic blues set comprising vocals, guitar, sax and bass at Upton Blues festival next month) and it sounded excellent through an Acoustic Image rig. Very good tone with no issues (albeit we were not playing at high volume so feedback was never likely to rear its ugly head). A/B'd it with my Eminence and it sounded much more appropriate for this band line-up (the Realist on the Eminence makes it a bit darker sounding and also picks up finger noise more, neither of which are problems in the bigger band). Conclusion: as the Talkbass reviewers said, it's a highly recommended piece of kit!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1265932' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:19 PM']Update: I got a K&K floating bridge pickup which installed in about two minutes. Used it at an acoustic rehearsal yesterday (in addition to Rattlin Bone, we are doing an all- acoustic blues set comprising vocals, guitar, sax and bass at Upton Blues festival next month) and it sounded excellent through an Acoustic Image rig. Very good tone with no issues (albeit we were not playing at high volume so feedback was never likely to rear its ugly head). A/B'd it with my Eminence and it sounded much more appropriate for this band line-up (the Realist on the Eminence makes it a bit darker sounding and also picks up finger noise more, neither of which are problems in the bigger band). Conclusion: as the Talkbass reviewers said, it's a highly recommended piece of kit![/quote]

Nice one mate, and I might even get to see you (and it) in action at the festival :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1266206' date='Jun 12 2011, 03:45 PM']The best tip for making an acoustic bass useable at gigs would probably be leaving it in it's case and getting out a good electric bass.[/quote]
I'll bear that tip in mind

The foam/sponge under the strings, just in front the bridge might help a bit - partly to mute the top, (and keep the feedback at bay) and partly to get a good short thumpy sound for them therrr bloozzee.....as we say, here in Brizzle.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1261609' date='Jun 8 2011, 06:51 PM']Get a soundhole plug. Helps stop the top resonating. Less prone to acoustic feedback.[/quote]
I use one called a "feedback buster"with my acoustic - no feedback unless you really seek it out. An off-the shelf one won't fit in the squashed soundhole of the eko, but I've had similar results from using blu-tac to stick a CD over a guitar soundhole, so anything fairly solid will do the job.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard