Why become a member? ×

Duff McKagan Artist Series Signature P Bass®

Nostromo

I’m seriously keen on MIJ Jazz Bass Specials. As you can see from my signature list below I have both a Jazz Bass Special and a Power Jazz Bass Special – they are great instruments - and I have been led to understand that these were the very models that Duff McKagan always favoured ? . . . . but I could be wrong ?

So it was with some interest that I found a Duff McKagan Signature P Bass in my local Guitar shop and I asked to try it out ! . . . . .

Was I surprised or what ! ! ! . . . . I would say that the defining feature of an 80's Jazz Bass Special or Power Jazz Bass Special is the coupling of a precision style body & pickup with a super slim Jazz profile neck . . . so I was really expecting the Duff McKagan Signature model to feel similar to my MIJ originals ? . . . . Couldn’t have been further from the reality of the experience . . . . the current Duff McKagan Signature Model has got a PRECISION style neck on it ! ! ! ! ! . . . definitely not 1.5” at the nut – I would say the neck felt almost Identical to the neck on my Highway One Precision.

I looked on the spec sheet on the Fender Website when I got home and it clearly states Jazz Neck 1.5” at the nut. I also phoned Fender UK and they swore blind the model is fitted with a Jazz neck . . . . . .

Well folks it aint . . . . its got a precision neck and neck profile - and to handle it feels absolutely nothing like an original 80’s Jazz Bass Special.

What an unexpected surprise ! . . . .

Edited by Nostromo

Could it be the neck back contour is what is changing the feel? I'm sure others have said similar before about Jazz bass necks various.
Without trying to be pedantic, sarcastic or inflamatory- Did you actually measure it with a ruler in the shop or are you basing it just on feel?

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1256542' date='Jun 4 2011, 03:21 PM']Did you actually measure it with a ruler in the shop or are you basing it just on feel?

Cheers,
Jon[/quote]

What I did do was get a piece of paper and mark the nut width on that . . . then, when I got home, I compaired those markings with the nuts on my Jazz Bass Special's . . . the nut was wider almost 1/4" wider.

As I say . . . I was very surprised . . . . . I wonder if Duffs originals were mongrels with precision necks ? . . . . . If they were, then that would make this model dimensionally correct as a Duff Signature bass ? ?

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1256550' date='Jun 4 2011, 03:30 PM']What I did do was get a piece of paper and mark the nut width on that . . . then, when I got home, I compaired those markings with the nuts on my Jazz Bass Special's . . . the nut was wider almost 1/4" wider.

As I say . . . I was very surprised . . . . . I wonder if Duffs originals were mongrels with precision necks ? . . . . . If they were, then that would make this model dimensionally correct as a Duff Signature bass ? ?[/quote]

Fair play. You're the man!
What shop is this one in? I'm sure there's a BC'er interested in a more P nut width McKagan...

I used to have a Jazz Bass Special - it was great. It also had a thin neck with clear lacquer on rather than painted.

It is my understanding (based on stuff I read on the internet years back) that the original Japanese basses came in two models - one with a thin Jazz neck and one with a slightly chunkier P-style neck, the latter of which Duff preferred. It thus makes sense that his signature bass has the larger neck.

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1256500' date='Jun 4 2011, 02:41 PM']I’m seriously keen on MIJ Jazz Bass Specials. As you can see from my signature list below I have both a Jazz Bass Special and a Power Jazz Bass Special – they are great instruments - and I have been led to understand that these were the very models that Duff McKagan always favoured ? . . . . but I could be wrong ?[/quote]

Yup, t'is true - though I keep reading on the internet that some suggest the basses are 'custom' - but Duff has said his are Jazz Bass Specials in interview. They indeed have a Jazz neck and were made in Japan. I remember reading somewhere (Could well have been the original magazine excerpt I still have from 1989) that the neck profile is based on a '62 Jazz neck. They are bloody good though!

I have a PJBS in red - there's a PJBS in Ozzy Ozbourne's 'No More Tears' video too - I remember seeing a Simple Minds track on TV once and yet another JBS

PJBS 'ere too, courtesy of Simple Minds in 1988 [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_yMylg8Dc0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_yMylg8Dc0[/url]

You know I am 99.9% certain I read the Fender website spec a while back and it said a P-Bass width neck. Could they have changed it?

I have a pearl white PJBS and it makes me warm inside every time I pick it up. Love at first sight and I love it more each time I play it. The sound is just soooo.....

Im pretty sure that at least a year ago it was showing the neck as 1.5" as i was contemplating getting one.

Here's my thread although it ended up more to do with the bass in general rather than the nut/neck width.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86875"]Nut width[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1258467' date='Jun 6 2011, 03:25 PM']A Fender doesn't look right without a scratchplate.[/quote]

It looks better, particularly on a Jazz bass...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1258598' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:54 PM']I beg to differ, I can't think of anything he had the right idea about.[/quote]

Controversial opinion on a bass forum! Somehow I've been playing bass for 12 years and don't think I've heard any Jaco.

Agree with you on the scratchplate issue, Fenders look odd without it IMO.

I think the Jazz Bass Specials look fine without scratch plates . . . . I think the Fretless Squier Jass Modified looks a bit odd without a scratch plate though ? . . . but maybe thats just because its still got the control plate on it ? . . if the control knobs were fitted direct into the body I think that would probably look fine too ?

IM Very HO of course !

:) :)

Edited by Nostromo