Why become a member? ×

Help Required - Lakland P Mystery?

bassatnight

Good Folks of Basschat,

I have been after a decent P for a wee while now as a back up to my Fender P deluxe and was toying with a Lakland Duck Dunn.
I stumbled across a strange one at Chandler Guitars.

It looks like a Dunn (but isn't) it has the Dunn's candy red finish and Jazz type block neck but is active and has 4 controls as opposed to the 2 usual on the Lakland models.

I have scoured the web and the Lakland website but cannot find one that matches, the 44-64 seems closest but only has the two controls, is this a custom model or do we think someone has upgraded it? Pics below...

My feeling too, I have had a mate who lives close by check it out and he was blown away by the tones and the neck is better than his US Jazz (in his opinion)
There's not a mark on it and the battery compartment was very well finished.

I have stuck my neck out and bought it, roll on Tuesday - Playtime!

Cheers,

Steve.[quote name='Machines' post='1256357' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:56 AM']Definitely been upgraded - see the battery box on the back. I'm quite sure all standard models (US and Skyline) are passive.[/quote]

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1256553' date='Jun 4 2011, 03:32 PM']Just looked it up on their website - looks like a bargain at that price[/quote]

Agreed. £500 on Basschat would seem about right for that bass (not everyone would want the active upgrade) but from a mainstream dealer that's extraordinary.

Very nice. I would say that it's a passive Skyline Duck Dunn which has been modded similar to mine. I had a battery box and a side-mounted jack fitted and a bridge J-pick-up routed in. The necks on these are superb, probably the best 4-string I have owned.

The serial number should give you and indication of date of manufacture. Also check the colour of the pick-up wires. If they are white fabric covered then they are Lindy Fralin, if red & black or green & black they are Lakland's own.

I'd be interested to know what pre-amp is in there.