Why become a member? ×

This is why I took up the double bass (new recording)

Bilbo

A lovely ballad performance by Andi Hopgood with yours truly on bass. There is something about the ambience created by the double bass in a ballad situation that just can't be matched. This is, for me, the first time I have really got a ballad to sound completely satisfactory. I have come close on electric but this is the real deal. Most of you will know the tune but not in this format. Enjoy!

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1251927' date='May 31 2011, 07:26 PM']Quietly proud... it's much better than that and you know it.[/quote]

Its not false modesty, mate. I love the performance overall but I find my own playing on it is not write as 'on' as I want it to be. There is nothing wrong with it per se (which makes a change) but I am of the view that the bass sound could be 'thicker' in some way. I did it with a mic and a K&K pick up which was a 4 string model (the bass is a 5). I have a 5 string pick up on the order and hope that may give a little more depth to the sound and, consequently, to the performance.

It is, despite my reservations, one of the most 'convincing' jazz pieces I have for my 'cv'.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1255771' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:28 PM']Its not false modesty, mate. I love the performance overall but I find my own playing on it is not write as 'on' as I want it to be.
It is, despite my reservations, one of the most 'convincing' jazz pieces I have for my 'cv'.[/quote]
Fair do's, but I still think you are being overcritical... but then again self-criticism is [b]the[/b] driving force if used positively. It's certainly a bit more than convincing to my ears Bilbo. Love it, love it, love it.

[quote name='Mike' post='1255976' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:36 PM']Very nice Bilbo! I play bass for Andi from time to time and it's always a fun experience. Is it Alex on drums?[/quote]

Certainly is, Mike. It was just a demo for his Blue Rondo Jazz Ensembles website. Simon Brown on piano (a lovely Steinway!!) and Gareth Lumbars on sax.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1256602' date='Jun 4 2011, 04:15 PM']Certainly is, Mike. It was just a demo for his Blue Rondo Jazz Ensembles website. Simon Brown on piano (a lovely Steinway!!) and Gareth Lumbars on sax.[/quote]

Big G ! Great stuff.

[quote name='Mike' post='1257062' date='Jun 5 2011, 03:48 AM']Big G ! Great stuff.[/quote]

Does everyone called Gareth get called this?

Nice playing Bilbo, I know what you mean about DB for this kind of track. Did some recording on a very quiet song a few months ago and borrowed a friends EUB and it sounds soooo much better than a fretted electric it's not even funny. That was the recording session I got bit by the upright bug.