Why become a member? ×

Telecaster bass

lojo

Never used one , rarely seen one, but the last few live videos i've seen they have sounded awesome, maybe thats just the ampeg, do they differ that much from P bass pickup ?

They also look great

Anyone use one?

[quote name='neepheid' post='1246923' date='May 27 2011, 12:19 PM']

or

I would say there aren't much more different pickups than these two which have been fitted to the same type of bass during a production run :lol:[/quote]
But which is better?

There's only one way to find out....

:) :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1246943' date='May 27 2011, 12:25 PM'][b]Or have a mudbucker,precision split [/b]and a jazz like my old Telecaster bass had,13lb of bass heaven.[/quote]
I'm currently building a fretless version... kinda almost exactly like a certain "vision bass" from another thread :) .... chrome hardware though :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1246931' date='May 27 2011, 12:21 PM']I would say a precision is the top pickup and a telecaster has the bottom one?

Truckstop[/quote]

The first version Telecaster bass had the early Precision style pickup-in fact the whole bass was
very similar. The second version of the Telecaster bass used the humbucker up by the neck.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1247149' date='May 27 2011, 02:35 PM']:lol:
Would it win aggression, top end, growl, punch?

I know who's side I'd be on. :)[/quote]

I was thinking it would win brown note strength, mud, weight, dimensions, DC resistance, number of turns, number of coils and amount of metal used in the construction thereof :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1247166' date='May 27 2011, 02:45 PM']I was thinking it would win brown note strength, mud, weight, dimensions, DC resistance, number of turns, number of coils and amount of metal used in the construction thereof :)[/quote]

Oooh! Can you get pickup top trumps now then? :)

(Who wants to put one together then?)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1247166' date='May 27 2011, 02:45 PM']I was thinking it would win brown note strength, mud, weight, dimensions, DC resistance, number of turns, number of coils and amount of metal used in the construction thereof :)[/quote]
Right, although the majority of your catagories mean virtually zip in the real world .... GAME ON *clicks finger* :lol:

[u]Mudbucker vs '51 SC P[/u]

1 brown note = win (although yet to be proven)
2 mud = win (it's a given, the clue's in the name)
3 weight = lose (lighter wins)
4 dimensions = lose (too much chrome - your words not mine :))
5 DC resistance = NA (+ or - means squat - too many other factors)
6 number of turns = NA (the presumption of more winds = better sound is flawed)
7 number of coils = win
8 amount of metal used = lose (bad for the planet and old bassists backs - also see catagory 3)
9 aggression = lose
10 top end = lose
11 growl = lose
punch = lose

3 : 6 to the '51. QED old chap.

I'll have your cards please. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1247190' date='May 27 2011, 03:12 PM']Right, although the majority of your catagories mean virtually zip in the real world .... GAME ON *clicks finger* :)

[u]Mudbucker vs '51 SC P[/u]

1 brown note = win (although yet to be proven)
2 mud = win (it's a given, the clue's in the name)
3 weight = lose (lighter wins)
4 dimensions = lose (too much chrome - your words not mine :))
5 DC resistance = NA (+ or - means squat - too many other factors)
6 number of turns = NA (the presumption of more winds = better sound is flawed)
7 number of coils = win
8 amount of metal used = lose (bad for the planet and old bassists backs - also see catagory 3)
9 aggression = lose
10 top end = lose
11 growl = lose
punch = lose

3 : 6 to the '51. QED old chap.

I'll have your cards please. :lol:[/quote]

As I recall it was always the higher number that won in TT... oh hang on, not on 0-60... sorry wrong again.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1247191' date='May 27 2011, 03:12 PM']that sounds pretty awesome. Any pics of it and where is it now?[/quote]
No pics,and no idea where it is now,about 14 years ago it cost me £150,IIRC it was a 1972 or 73 model in Telecaster magnolia.It sounded huge but it got traded to Bass Doc,i think,for either a bass build or a lighter bass.

i love my 51, got mine new for £450 and it feels like a million pound instead. i wanna be burried with it hahaha.
one problem i had was my cat knocking it off the stand and f***ed both the pickup and electronics up- very delicate!
if it helps, ive played reggae to funk to heavy metal on it and sounded mint with the SD Basslines replacement though with a big enough strap you dont feel the weight so much.

[b]BSB[/b]