Why become a member? ×

wiki

bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='143599' date='Feb 20 2008, 11:12 AM']Wassup Ped - been taking c*** lessons from Kiwi? I am happy to just point people in the direction of the wiki - and if I get abused for not spoon-feeding them the answers I will abuse them right back.[/quote]
Not sure what I've specifically done to deserve that abuse from you. Care to elaborate?

I wish the wiki was better organised too, however I can't even log into it let alone add to it. Go figure.

I have uploaded some pictures and they go into a respository for media files - uploading is pretty much the same as uploading attachments. They can be included in the text by wrapping the address of the repository in tags or clicking the image in the repository but it seems to be a bit flakey and sometimes you just get a blank screen.

I've put in an entry for GB Guitars that can be edited to see how I did it. Cant seem to be able to remove images from the repository that I did not use (one was rather big). Perhaps phatmonkey can help.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='144753' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:36 PM']Perhaps phatmonkey can help.[/quote]
Try calling him a c*** perhaps? You never know your luck if you ask nicely.

BTW, slag one more Admin off and you get a special prize for the Big Triple.

I just have to say that I think your comment to Ped was neither warranted nor proportionate to what he said. And in your fervour to, apparently, be as abrasive as you can summon, you managed to denigrate someone else (Kiwi) who had not even spoken on the topic.
Peds observation was a viewpoint, something it appears you believe that you are the only person to have validty in holding.

Please refrain from insulting people in this way. Its ugly and not commensurate with the tone of this community. And for the record the first time I read an example of you being so abusive, I decided to keep my mouth shut to give the benefit of the doubt so this is not the first time.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='144766' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:59 PM']I just have to say that I don't think your comment to Ped was either warranted or proportionate to what he said. And in your fervour to be as apparently abrasive as you can summon you managed to denigrate someone else (Kiwi) who had not even spoken on the topic.
Peds observation was a viewpoint, something it appears you believe that you are the only person to have validty in holding.

Please refrain from insulting people in this way. Its ugly and not commensurate with the tone of this community.[/quote]

+1

Basschat is a community - a Spartan community. We are the Helots, the Mods are the Spartans, and there are 2 Kings. Bassworld only had one king but he had the power to demand that Basstalk gave back all of his subjects and knowledge so Basschat had to start with nothing. Lots of people, not just the Kings and Mods, including me who copied a number of threads to my PC (impedance, flats, custom basses and SE bash) and uploaded them onto the empty Basschat as King Gerard was powerless to stop this, put in a lot of work to get Basschat started. Initially Kings Ped and Kiwi were grateful and the stuff copied was made into stickies (or pinned threads as you wish) and ultimately into the wiki.

And it came to pass that new people joined Basschat and many did not know about the stickies and the wiki's, and many questions were repeatedly asked with answers to be found in the sticky and wiki. When it was suggested they looked at the answers already posted most Helots were happy to do so, grateful for the advice that the answers they sought were already available, e.g. the impedance attachment has been downloaded 181 times. However, a few Helots, including some who knew the answers were already there but for some reason expected the wisdom of Basschat to be be at their command, took umbrage at being asked to find the answers themselves. It would appear that I had fallen out of favour with the Kings because I was censured for telling people of the sticky and wiki. I have noticed others have also begun adopting this approach without censure. I also found I was falsely accused of the crime of undermining peoples adverts by one of the Kings.

I am not the first to fall from favour and many have been exiled by the Kings to a place called Finnbass. Whilst Finnbass has banter in abundance it is a little short of reference material (except for building BFM cabs) and it is the reference material that brings in new members, cos every time they do a google search on something bass related it will usually provide a match with Basschat on page 1. Some of those exiled have been exorcised completely from Basschat and every hint of their existence has been removed. I for one am still unsure why BT68, or Thumper as he became known, was exiled for promoting his BFM building business on Basschat whilst others are allowed to promote their business. However, the Kings are not accountable to the people.

[quote name='ped' post='143400' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:34 PM']I guess with Basschat being a community, people prefer to ask questions than to search through posts to see if it has been asked before because more often than not, someone will have another view to add. The best thing to do if repeated questions really annoy you is to just not read them - other new members will, and reply - and the balance is restored. Happy days.[/quote]
[list]
[*]If someone has another view to add it should be added to the wiki or sticky - not lost in another post.
[*]If I ignored the repeated questions all the people that were grateful to be pointed in the direction of the wiki or sticky would be deprived of that advice. How is this a good thing?
[*]Other new members reply is usually based just on their personal opinion rather than the consensus view that has built up in the stickies. It normally extends to "I use X".
[/list]

Edited by bass_ferret

You clearly have an axe to grind on a subject about which I know nothing and further have not an iota of interest. The main reason for the low level of my interest is the nature/method of your expressing your opinion, you have literally set my mind against your plight with your combative, abusive and totally unnecassary abuse, and I in my posts have shown myself to be a person prepared to speak his mind on unfairness and in defence of those who are attacked without apparent immediate cause. You have no idea how to conduct yourself sir, and therefore, given the tangential approach you give to responding to reproach I can only assume that my words will have as little impact as a fly on a windscreen.
I will not respond further
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='cheddatom' post='144843' date='Feb 22 2008, 09:38 AM']Maybe we could talk more about the wiki though, I think it's a great thing and should be developed more. It needs the members to contribute though, we can't just ask the mods to do it all for us.[/quote]
agreed, for me the point of the thread has ironically been hi-jacked by the OP

Ferret,

Rather than address the completely ridiculous post you made (it is clear your brainwashing is complete) I will attempt to address your points:

* If someone has another view to add it should be added to the wiki or sticky - not lost in another post.

- I can see where you are coming from, believe me I can, but many people do not know what a wicki is, how to use it and where it is. Just look at the Wiki on Talkbass - thousands upon thousands of members and basically nothing in it. Why not sign up there and have a go?

* If I ignored the repeated questions all the people that were grateful to be pointed in the direction of the wiki or sticky would be deprived of that advice. How is this a good thing?

-Because it is empty.

* Other new members reply is usually based just on their personal opinion rather than the consensus view that has built up in the stickies. It normally extends to "I use X".

-That is your opinion. Thank you for sharing it. Now why not let others express theirs? I presume that is the point in this thread?

A good way of getting the Wiki 'known' and perhaps used a little would be to put reviews of gear in there, and if someone wanted to write a guide about how to use it etc that might help too. I assume it is the same as the Talkbass one so I could ask if we can borrow theirs.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='144811' date='Feb 22 2008, 07:28 AM']Basschat is a community - a Spartan community. We are the Helots, the Mods are the Spartans, and there are 2 Kings. Bassworld only had one king but he had the power [i]etc.[/i]
And it came to pass that [i]etc.[/i]
I am not the first to fall from favour and many have been exiled by the Kings [i]etc.[/i][/quote]Blimey, just for a second I was back in my 3rd year History class. I swear I could almost hear old Evans droning on about Magellan and Copernicus and threatening us with detention. :)

[quote name='Rich' post='144963' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:34 PM']Blimey, just for a second I was back in my 3rd year History class. I swear I could almost hear old Evans droning on about Magellan and Copernicus and threatening us with detention. :)[/quote]

You know keeping your amusing comments to yourself might be more mature than trying to bait the guy into insulting you so you can ban him.

Sorry, I didn't mean that you deliberately did it, I should have worded my post better. What I meant is that this is how he will probably see it, and these will probably be the consequences, and there was probably no need to make the post seeing as this thread had just got back on topic. I only said it because it's a topic I care about and think should be discussed properly.

Sorry if I caused any offence!

[quote name='ped' post='144860' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:14 AM']* If I ignored the repeated questions all the people that were grateful to be pointed in the direction of the wiki or sticky would be deprived of that advice. How is this a good thing?

-Because it is empty.[/quote]
No its not. The impedence thread was added as a sticky on 17 May and added to the wiki on 19 July. Its a well written article (not by me) with pictures to explain everything. How is it a good thing not to tell people its there?

My only beef is with the guys that act as if they own the place - oh they do (well some of them anyway)!

I can't log into the wiki myself, but once this is sorted, I shall definitely be more than willing to while away some hours on there - who knows; this may even be more productive than reading random threads on here and posting half-baked opinions :)

Anyway, a question for those of you who have contributed (and will do so in the future) to the wiki:
If you've written something useful and then someone comes along and edits it hugely to correct the spelling, punctuation and grammar and generally make it more stylistically readable, would you be offended that your contribution has been adjusted? What I'm saying here is that whilst I don't have any worthwhile technical expertise, I can quite happily cross people's Ts and dot their Is until the cows come home, but only to make it as presentable as possible to the reader; the last thing I want is to come across as a pedantic dickhead (pedantic yes, dickhead no)
I'm fairly used to seeing tiny mistakes on Wikipedia and being unable to resist putting them right; on there it's common practise to do so... on basschat I'm a bit concerned that some of you will be pissed off at me for fussing around and changing your stuff, but I'm of the opinion that the wiki should be as tidy, presentable and readable as possible; a wealth of information is of no use if it can't be read

To all the wiki detractors: try doing something positive about it.

[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:importing_gear"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:importing_gear[/url]

There - an article about duty on importing goods. Feel free to correct it, edit it, add to it. Maths? Ha, I've heard of it.

In response to QOTD - no, I'm not precious at all about my contribution. I will not be offended if someone who knows better than me comes along and sorts out my mistakes.