Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Lite

thebrig

I had one sometime back in the mid 1990s. To call it a Precision is a bit of a misnomer as it doesn't bear much resemblance to a standard P. It's active with a P/J pickup config and completely different neck and body shape.

My memories of it are getting a bit hazy but I don't recall that it was very Precision like.

It's a bit of work, but strip the active set-up out of it, and throw it away. I found the active configuration on these Basses a bit TOO active and sensitive, if you know what I mean? I shoved 'real' passive Precision and Jazz pickups in mine, and it's a hell of a lot closer to the real thing.

Great instruments, very lightweight, comfortable and really good necks on them. Mine had a P and humbucker pickup configuration, not the normal P & J and it sounded great. Wish I'd kept it now, it's one of the best basses I've owned and I really regret getting rid. If you want a full bodied P-bass, get the real thing as the Lyte is an instrument in it's own right really.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1239673' date='May 21 2011, 08:28 PM']It's a bit of work, but strip the active set-up out of it, and throw it away. I found the active configuration on these Basses a bit TOO active and sensitive, if you know what I mean? I shoved 'real' passive Precision and Jazz pickups in mine, and it's a hell of a lot closer to the real thing.[/quote]

I find on just about any bass I leave the active controls flat (wonder why I keep buying active basses really), though find you can tweak it a tiny bit for various parts of songs, or switching between fingers/pick/slap, so if you're only using them for that it wouldn't matter so much?

I quite like the look of the lytes.