Why become a member? ×

To go upright, or not to go upright?

Skol303

Ok, here goes...

I've always wanted an upright bass - I absolutely love the sound - and am currently enjoying playing a fretless electric for that reason, i.e. it's the closest I can currently get to the 'warmth' of an upright.

I'm toying with the idea of investing in possibly an EUB at some point in future (not right now but within, say, 6 months to a year). I don't have a huge amount of space at home and musically I tend to veer towards electronic, so I figure that an EUB would meet my needs in terms of both size/compactness and sound/versatility.

However... I'm still very much a beginner on the electric bass, so I'm conscious that I might be 'jumping the gun' here and delving into the world of uprights when I should be concentrating on improving my skills on a standard electric. For instance: I'm not familiar with notation and a long way off sight-reading, but I am learning (albeit slowly). Essentially, I don't want to invest in something that's beyond my ability to enjoy it.

Anyway, a couple of questions for all you upright players here:

1) Given my 'early learner' status, should I really be thinking about an upright at this stage? Or should I concentrate on playing guitar to improve my basic skills first?

2) Is there any reason why, as a newbie, I should be avoiding EUBs and thinking about an acoustic upright instead?

1) Given my 'early learner' status, should I really be thinking about an upright at this stage? Or should I concentrate on playing guitar to improve my basic skills first? [i]I am pretty agricultural on electric bass but have made teh move to upright and am in a gigging band. Go for it[/i]

2) Is there any reason why, as a newbie, I should be avoiding EUBs and thinking about an acoustic upright instead? [i]EUBs are less complex when it comes to amplification (little/no feedback) and easier to transport/store .... but most sound part-way between a fretless and an acoustic upright. If its the lovely, woody rich sound of an acoustic you are after, go straight to acoustic IMHO[/i]

I'd always recommend a proper upright to start on than an electric upright. The ease of playing on a lot of electric uprights can lead you into a false sense of security as the upright is a lot more 'physical' -especially when you move up into thumb position.

Agree with Doddy and, to be blunt, knowing myself, whilst I could justify an EUB as an interim measure the way you are, I know that, if I took that route, I would immediately be GASsing for an upright and feeling a little bit 'nearly but not quite'. I say go straight to the upright avoiding the EUB (you can return to that option later). I would also add that there are thousands and thousands of little kids playing little uprights all over the world without any reference to the electric bass at all. More time on the electric will not prepare you for the double bass in any way that will not be achievable on the double bass in its own right. I say get yourself a double bass and throw out a wardrobe.

[quote]I say get yourself a double bass and throw out a wardrobe.[/quote]

:)

All good advice.

Also, do not forget this very serious and important aspect of the double bass:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103314&hl=babe+magnet"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=babe+magnet[/url]

:)

I don't reckon there's much to be gained by learning ebass first. Go for the upright from the outset!

There's also a stunning Artia B+H bass on ebay at the moment. I have one, very very good entry level basses. £410 with a day to go.
Worth a grand I'd say.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/size-Double-Bass-Artia-made-Boosey-Hawkes-/300556558297?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item45fa911fd9"]ebay[/url]

[quote name='PaulKing' post='1238391' date='May 20 2011, 04:49 PM']I don't reckon there's much to be gained by learning ebass first. Go for the upright from the outset!

There's also a stunning Artia B+H bass on ebay at the moment. I have one, very very good entry level basses. £410 with a day to go.
Worth a grand I'd say.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/size-Double-Bass-Artia-made-Boosey-Hawkes-/300556558297?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item45fa911fd9"]ebay[/url][/quote]

shhhhh, I've been watching that! :) :)

Thanks folks!

Cheers for reassurance about making the jump from guitar to upright in light of my (very) amateurish skills - that's very good to know and put my mind at rest about the only real concern I had about taking the plunge.

Cheers also for your feedback on considering an acoustic over an EUB: you've raised some great points that I'd never have thought about (physicality, etc). It's also the acoustic sound that I know I'm really in love with, you may well have changed my mind on that front.

On a personal note, the significant other and I have the small matter of impending baby to enjoy in the immediate future (literally any day now in fact!), which is - oddly perhaps - one of the reasons why I'm considering an upright. That is, as something a bit more immediate or more 'pick up and play' than my usual ritual of booting up a computer and plugging in gear, which I know will be taking a back seat once Skol Jnr arrives!

Mrs Skol has green-lighted the idea, so I guess it's only a matter of time before we do indeed "throw out a wardrobe" (cheers Bilbo, that made me laugh).

I'll be pestering you all as usual for more advice when the time comes...

[quote name='PaulKing' post='1238391' date='May 20 2011, 04:49 PM']I don't reckon there's much to be gained by learning ebass first. Go for the upright from the outset!

Worth a grand I'd say.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/size-Double-Bass-Artia-made-Boosey-Hawkes-/300556558297?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item45fa911fd9"]ebay[/url][/quote]

And now I am too, all the more annoying as I can't dismiss it due to collection as it's in Sheffield. This could get expensive.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1238734' date='May 20 2011, 09:10 PM']Mrs Skol has green-lighted the idea, so I guess it's only a matter of time before we do indeed "throw out a wardrobe" (cheers Bilbo, that made me laugh).[/quote]

My mrs loves having a DB in the house, it's a nice bit of furniture until some clown starts trying to play it... :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1239370' date='May 21 2011, 02:57 PM']My mrs loves having a DB in the house, it's a nice bit of furniture until some clown starts trying to play it... :)[/quote]
+1

All you need is a spare corner and you're sorted :)

[quote name='PaulKing' post='1239677' date='May 21 2011, 08:33 PM']£562!!! That is one hell of a good price, for one hell of a good bass. Anyone smiling round here?[/quote]

Having reviewed my finances, I resisted. Maybe the seller will let me pop round for a blast seeing as we both live in Sheffield west. Shame as I don't think I'll see a nicer bass at a better price within short distance any time soon.

[quote name='PaulKing' post='1239677' date='May 21 2011, 08:33 PM']£562!!! That is one hell of a good price, for one hell of a good bass. Anyone smiling round here?[/quote]

Unbeknown to me, my wife was bidding on this for me, but was outbid at the last minute as she was at work. She'd put a max bid of £550 but couldn't follow it at work.

[quote name='steve' post='1239844' date='May 22 2011, 12:08 AM']Unbeknown to me, my wife was bidding on this for me, but was outbid at the last minute as she was at work. She'd put a max bid of £550 but couldn't follow it at work.[/quote]

Would have been funny if it turned out you were having a bidding war against each other :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1239894' date='May 22 2011, 01:29 AM']They are addictive though. I could justify three double basses at least and I don't have a single full-time gig on DB yet.[/quote]

Noone in their right mind can justify owning 3 double basses.

(cough)

Edited by PaulKing