Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision find!

HeavyJay

The drummer in the band I'm in picked up a bass at a car boot sale for £6, it's in a bit of a state of disrepair but he thought it looked nice and was maybe going to spray it and hang it on his wall.

He asked me for my opinion about it as he thought it used to be quite a good one.

I had a look and said I'd post some info and pictures here and get people's opinion as to what it is, how good or bad it is (guitar and parts) and what you'd do with it if it was yours. By that I mean restoration plans, harvest for parts, sell it, sell parts, hang it on a wall or use it for firewood!

Anyway, it's a Precision shaped squier with the serial number JV73765. The body has been stripped back to the wood which looks pretty nice, split into maybe 5 or 6 sections.

The neck is a light coloured wood, presumably maple, and has been defretted although the gaps haven't been filled. The action is a bit high and intonation seems okay.

There aren't any electronics in it except a cloth covered earth wire. The standard routing is pretty nice although some previous owner looks to have attempted to add another pick up right by the neck and opened up the control plate section at the same time.

I make the age to be about 1982 (according to wikipedia) but would appreciate any more info.

Pictures (rubbish ones!) are below:

I'll take it off your hands, I reckon it would damage your drummers walls.... :)
You could probably get a fair few quid for it on the bay, certainly more than 6, even if you parted it out, infact, especially if you parted it out. Google JV squier to see what I mean.

stick frets in it and it will be a very good neck, the body needs a bit more work, but for £6 it's nae bad

<-- it would have originally looked like that i guess, but red

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1238304' date='May 20 2011, 03:46 PM']Wow, lovely for a project!
Re-finish it, the fret slots are already cut, buy some P pickups (someone's selling some wizzards on here), buy a pickguard and you're sorted!
Shouldnt cost more than £60-70!

Truckstop[/quote]
Easier said than done my friend.
The state of it suggest to me that the work so far hasn't been carried out with the interest of the bass in mind.... or by someone who has a scooby doo.
have you ever tried re-fretting a neck that someone (with the best of intentions) has just ploughed in and fecked up the slots... it's soul destroying.

I agree it should make a fine project... but to give it it's best chance, it should be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1238327' date='May 20 2011, 04:03 PM']Is there any quality difference between a [size=4]Fender[/size] [size=1]by Squier[/size] JV or a[size=4] Squier[/size] [size=1]by Fender[/size] JV

[b]Or is it just people with half the info pushing prices up?[/b][/quote]

Isn't that what always happens, regardless of brand? :)

Man I wish I had some luck like that. Six quid! Yes I would keep it and get it painted and refretted properly. I wouldn't worry too much about originality now it's had a big hole cut in the body and needs a refinish, so I would go for a decent aftermarket pickup, vintage single ply scratchplate then get on and play it. Refins and refrets only affect the value of the bass, not the playability.

Oh, I would check the truss rod tfirst to make sure it hasn't been wrecked - you'll find the date it was made on the heel of the neck.

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='Johnston' post='1238327' date='May 20 2011, 04:03 PM']Is there any quality difference between a [size=4]Fender[/size] [size=1]by Squier[/size] JV or a[size=4] Squier[/size] [size=1]by Fender[/size] JV

Or is it just people with half the info pushing prices up?[/quote]

Yes, from a distance you look like you have a Fender, oh hang on, that has nothing to do with the quality does it now?

No, they're the same with different stickers (feel free to disagree with me, I have half the info and am trying to get prices down :) )

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1238195' date='May 20 2011, 02:15 PM']though someone at some point dded an extra pup to the body!

and done something to the truss rod adjuster thing[/quote]

Truss adjuster looks sound to me, screw seems a little further out than usual but that's all.

lovely beast.

finish the neck as fretless properly (fretless P-bass, yum!) - and there may be someone around here who would know how to do that for you if you didn't. I'd leave the body natural, just light sand it and apply oil to it... plus a scratchplate covering the extra routing... I'd take it off your hands for £12 :)
(just joking, worth a fair bit more, in my opinion)

jammy sod! As a fan of p/j basses i'd put 2 pups in, get the neck looked at by a pro, put some frets in (or not depending on preferance) finish it in the colour of choice and play it.
If not, just send it over to me, i'll double your money for you, 12 quid?.
Matt

Collectors of these JV basses like them to be original. So I you want to do it up and sell it you won't get the kind of price collectors would pay for an all original JV. But if, after only paying £6, you replaced the missing parts with decent quality originals you'd certainly make a profit.

By the way any Fender made in Japan at any time in the last 30 years is a tip top instrument. I should know, I have 3 of them - including a Squire.

Edited by gjones