Why become a member? ×

Warwick recommendations

megallica

I'm hoping to pick up a second hand Warwick next month, what sort of prices do BO Thumb, Corvette $$ or Fortress basses sell for these days?

I owned a Corvette Rockbass, Corvette Standard and Corvette $$ a few years ago and was very impressed with the quality and sound of these basses.

Since then I've been getting into 80's Ibanez and Yamaha basses.

The simple answer is 'a lot less then they're worth'!

It's been done in another thread, but Warwicks are for whatever reason about as hip as disco at the moment, and so prices are very low. It's a buyers market.

I picked up a really really nice early Fortress on here (there's a thread if you search) for £400, and it's a belter. The $$ and Thumb go for more, again, the Search tool is your friend. :)

If you're looking for a bass for rock, I think the Fortresses are ideal, the P/J pickup combination certainly helps, and the earlier ones have a fantastic (and small, beware if you like P-necks) all-wenge neck and the JAN1. The action on mine can be taken down to the lowest I've ever encountered without any issues, and the bass itself is the easiest to play I've owned. It's a keeper. I'm contemplating fitting Wizard pups to it, to give it a more trad sound, but that's all I'd change about it.

PS 80s Yamahas? I've got a BB3000A whcih I've had from new in 87. Niiiice... :)

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' post='1235191' date='May 18 2011, 08:21 AM']The simple answer is 'a lot less then they're worth'!

It's been done in another thread, but Warwicks are for whatever reason about as hip as disco at the moment, and so prices are very low. It's a buyers market.

I picked up a really really nice early Fortress on here (there's a thread if you search) for £400, and it's a belter. The $$ and Thumb go for more, again, the Search tool is your friend. :)

If you're looking for a bass for rock, I think the Fortresses are ideal, the P/J pickup combination certainly helps, and the earlier ones have a fantastic (and small, beware if you like P-necks) all-wenge neck and the JAN1. The action on mine can be taken down to the lowest I've ever encountered without any issues, and the bass itself is the easiest to play I've owned. It's a keeper. I'm contemplating fitting Wizard pups to it, to give it a more trad sound, but that's all I'd change about it.

PS 80s Yamahas? I've got a BB3000A whcih I've had from new in 87. Niiiice... :)[/quote]

I remember seeing the Fortress advertised in the mid nineties, good deal finding one for £400, the 80's Yamaha's get a lot of respect from players for good reason.

There's been a Fortress One listed on eBay twice now which had a start bid of £350, failed to sell both times. The $$ Corvettes seem to sell for around £500 - £600, although again i've seen em go for much lower than that.

Basically if you have a Warwick then don't sell it and if you have some spare cash then buy two! This slump in value can't last forever, although they've been rock bottom for ages now.

I've got two Warwicks, picked up the fretless for around £350 3 or 4 years ago, spent another £150 on a 3 band John East system recently. For the same money I picked up my fretted one for £500 already fitted with it's East preamp, although only a 2 band. To be honest I wouldn't swap them for anything else :)

As far as values are concerned, they're not selling for what they're worth. Great if you're buying, not so great if selling, that said if you pay the right price, they'll easily repay you when you sell on. They do appear to be ever so slightly creeping up again. If you buy a used Warwick, if it's what you want then it's one of the best investments you'll get. Buy a brand new one, you may as well reply to one of them "congratulations you have won £X, just give us all your bank details"

My main bass is the beauty in my avatar, she's a CS model but only the top is custom, the rest is a stock Corvette $$, which I would recommend over any other model, having tried plenty of others. The tonal range is unbelievable, just utilising the pickup toggles and blend you can set your bass up as a jazz bass, a musicman, and everything else you can just about think of. It sounds great and the only issue I have had is the nut snapping, which was cheap and easy to replace, and that was only due to restringing! Can't believe the prices are what they are right now, may get another one with some summer earnings, snap yourself a bargain or two if you can. If you have the funds, perhaps a Fortress One and a Corvette standard would be a good way to go, if not, splash out a little more and get the 'vette $$ on its own.
Oh, and if you get a natural bass, make sure to get one that has been regularly treated, as warwick prescribe, or get a price drop accordingly, as it permanently ruins the finish of these basses.

This Corvette just sold for under £300:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270746727936&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:B:WNA:GB:1123[/url]

I was thinking about having a bid on it but i need to cut down on bass stuff, not get more just because it's cheap! The Fortress that didn't sell at £350 was the same finish too, could have had a matching pair for £650.

Ah well, i'll just console myself with the fact that i got a Fortress One for £250......

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1236407' date='May 18 2011, 10:31 PM']This Corvette just sold for under £300:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270746727936&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:B:WNA:GB:1123[/url]

I was thinking about having a bid on it but i need to cut down on bass stuff, not get more just because it's cheap! The Fortress that didn't sell at £350 was the same finish too, could have had a matching pair for £650.

Ah well, i'll just console myself with the fact that i got a Fortress One for £250......[/quote]

cool! well done.
that is mad
- second hand modern squiers go for more sometimes!

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1236487' date='May 18 2011, 11:51 PM']Buy ANY non-budget Warwick now and glory in the fact that you'll have a cracking bass that seriously can't dip in value any lower than it presently is but rest assured WILL be worth more in years to come! :)[/quote]

Agreed, make sure it's a proper, german one and not a rockbass model. I would say avoid vampyres and infinitys, they occasionally appear on ebay at prices reflective of their ultra high list prices, and as a result do not sell.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1236487' date='May 18 2011, 11:51 PM']Buy ANY [b][u]SECOND-HAND[/u][/b] non-budget Warwick now and glory in the fact that you'll have a cracking bass that seriously can't dip in value any lower than it presently is but rest assured WILL be worth more in years to come! :)[/quote]

Fixed one tiny detail for you. :)

Given current s/h values, almost any German Warwick in good condition is worth a punt.
I picked up a Fortress MM5 for just over £500, and it's an excellent instrument.
Streamers and Corvettes are good. Balance issues and iffy playability when seated have always put me off Thumbs. Dolphins look like they'll be a good bass. Never tried one, but that JJ/J pick-up configuration is excellent.

I currently own;
'02 Infinity SN4
'97 Fortress MM5
'97 Streamer LX6

Both of the last two have Wenge necks and JAN I. The LX 6 came with Seymour Duncans in as MEC didn't make soapbars big enough at the time..

None of them are ever likely to be sold. All way too nice.
The MM5 is a Stingray slayer and a half. With extra versatility to boot. The Infinity is like a super jazz if you tap the JJ, but gets thicker and fuller using the JJ in humbucking mode.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1237449' date='May 19 2011, 09:27 PM']Given current s/h values, almost any German Warwick in good condition is worth a punt.
I picked up a Fortress MM5 for just over £500, and it's an excellent instrument.
Streamers and Corvettes are good. Balance issues and iffy playability when seated have always put me off Thumbs. Dolphins look like they'll be a good bass. Never tried one, but that JJ/J pick-up configuration is excellent.

I currently own;
'02 Infinity SN4
'97 Fortress MM5
'97 Streamer LX6

Both of the last two have Wenge necks and JAN I. The LX 6 came with Seymour Duncans in as MEC didn't make soapbars big enough at the time..

None of them are ever likely to be sold. All way too nice.
The MM5 is a Stingray slayer and a half. With extra versatility to boot. The Infinity is like a super jazz if you tap the JJ, but gets thicker and fuller using the JJ in humbucking mode.[/quote]

OOH the set neck infinity, that is one beautiful instrument. I'm jealous.

Crikey, I was thinking of selling my lefty Streamer Jazzman but for the kind of prices they seem to be fetching at the moment, I'm keeping hold of it! It would have been a very reluctant sale anyway, I've had it for 6 years and still love it!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1237642' date='May 20 2011, 01:28 AM']OOH the set neck infinity, that is one beautiful instrument. I'm jealous.[/quote]

Looks like a twiglet!
Plays well and sounds good, though.
Are you sure you didn't mean the "other Infinity" with the thru-neck and F-holes? Most seem to favour those (and they cost twice as much...)

Edit for - Bought (new) for about as much as a Fender Jazz. No-one wanted it, so I made 'em an offer! Bargain.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1237795' date='May 20 2011, 09:47 AM']

Looks like a twiglet!
Plays well and sounds good, though.
Are you sure you didn't mean the "other Infinity" with the thru-neck and F-holes? Most seem to favour those (and they cost twice as much...)

Edit for - Bought (new) for about as much as a Fender Jazz. No-one wanted it, so I made 'em an offer! Bargain.[/quote]

Lol I think I did mean the other one, yours is still fine enough looking, but isn't the thruneck birdseye maple as the top wood?
That's a fantastic buy by the way, I'd be more than happy with that.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1236407' date='May 18 2011, 10:31 PM']This Corvette just sold for under £300:

Ah well, i'll just console myself with the fact that i got a Fortress One for £250......[/quote]

May not be totally representative. Would you give £300 to a seller with low feedback and not 100% at that. The question is does the buyer actually ever get the bass or just a load of hassle and eBay/Paypal claiming!

If the seller had high feedback at 100% and actually bothered taking some decent photos they would have got much more. Still a good local pickup for cash purchase if you were close enough to the seller.

[quote name='kerley' post='1238364' date='May 20 2011, 04:31 PM']May not be totally representative. Would you give £300 to a seller with low feedback and not 100% at that. The question is does the buyer actually ever get the bass or just a load of hassle and eBay/Paypal claiming![/quote]
You missed the main reason that it didn't go any higher (aside from it's a Warwick)... it's BLUE! :)

The first decent bass I ever got to buy was a 5 string FNA Jazman. Its still pretty much my favourite bass. I can play the it thorugh my amp with the EQ turned off and it still sounds beautiful.

I had BO Thumb 4 for a little while and now a 5 for a year and they are beautiful to play but I just find the sound lacks some punch that the 'vette gives. I've had a Buzzard BO and a Vampyre SN over the last couple of years and the only reason I got rid of them because I much prefer 5 string basses and they were 4 stringers.

Not yet played a Warwick that I didn't like or find easy to play.

Second hand market seems to be flooded with them. Some of the for sale threads are dropping by a third from their inital asking prices. Its madness I tell thee, madness.

[quote name='kerley' post='1238364' date='May 20 2011, 04:31 PM']May not be totally representative. Would you give £300 to a seller with low feedback and not 100% at that. The question is does the buyer actually ever get the bass or just a load of hassle and eBay/Paypal claiming!

If the seller had high feedback at 100% and actually bothered taking some decent photos they would have got much more. Still a good local pickup for cash purchase if you were close enough to the seller.[/quote]

Totally, in fact i bought my Warwick Fortress from a zero feedback seller without any pictures, got it for £250.

If the seller doesn't send the item it's barely any hassle to claim your money back through Paypal, i'm more than willing to sacrifice a few minutes of my life if i can get something i want for much less than i'd usually pay.

In the case of that Warwick Corvette i linked to, it was owned by a friend of a BCer (The Greek), so i'd be more than happy to bid if i could justify it! It was mentioned here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136118&hl=corvette+ebay"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...l=corvette+ebay[/url]