Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics cabs - are they the best for TC heads?

niceguyhomer

I think I'll be selling my Epifani UL410 soon thanks to a worstening hip & back problem and downsizing (again) to two smaller cabs. I'm thinking of maybe replacing it with two TC RS210's and was wondering what people's thoughts are re; TC's cabs in general and are they the best bet for my new RH750 head.

Any thoughts / comments appreciated.

I have 3 x Rs210 and love them.

Sometimes i use 1 along with a rs112
Sometimes i use 2 stacked vertically
But mostly i use All 3

One downside: they are relatively sensitive to scratches and marks, so the available covers are more like mandatory than optional if you move Them around often

As with anything, depends on the sound you`re after. I was after a new 4x10, rang The Bass Merchant for some assistance, as was thinking of a TC cab, to match my TC Classic 450, but they advised that the TC cabs are very clear and modern sounding - whereas I like old-school sounds, Ampeg/Marshall etc - so I didn`t get one.

However, from the way they described the TC cabs, if clear and hi-fi is what you`re after, think they will be ideal.

As Lozz196 said, depends what you're after. I tend to use one RS212 for gigging and practice, and i am happy enough for now. I still occasionally plug the RH450 into my rough 4x10 and like what I hear...

I have found that my TC cab doesn't work particularly well with my other, much older amps, though. It is particularly harsh with both the Peavey and the valve one, to the point of prompt turning off and disconnection from the amp.

Yep, I'd echo the above about horses for courses - the first time I tried TC stuff, I didn't like it at all, but that turned out to be the cabs - I'm much more old-school than hi-fi, and I'd tried the full 'Rebel Stack'. I've now got a RH450 with a Schroeder 1515L, and it's fantastic. Only timing issues (calendar-wise for availability, not my own personal timing - tho that's bad enough :) ) stopped me from buying a Barefaced cab, I'd still love to hear my RH450 through a Super Twelve.

Give them a try. I sold a Berg HS410 because I needed two 2x10s....and the first trial of the RS210s was the icing on the cake.

They definitely need covers, but they are well made, 'fairly' priced, 'fairly' light (the RS210 is lighter than some neo 2x10s), they are easy to move, and the tweeter is great...very smooth without that horrible shrill cheapness some tweeters have.

They are VERY loud for their size, and seem to be voiced towards a mid push (although not like the Schroeders, more suble!).

I hooked my Genz Streamliner up, and it worked very well. Obviously the TC amps work perfectly with the cabs.

Im all about low-mids, so the RS cabs and TC amps are great for me.

Now that is strange Gareth, if these are supposed to be more hi-fi than the norm as I had you down as a vintage guy.

But seeing as you liked the Berg 410 and now the TC's cabs..maybe you are more modern than you think :)

FWIW, I would like a clean clear sound and will be collecting my DB 10's very soon.

Hi Al, I've not heard TC cabs but the advantage they have over the others is that you can use 1, 2 or 3 with your amp. 3 RS112's would be easy to lift and will get as loud as you like.

My amp with Bergantino cabs gets the best sound I've heard in years. My downsize route will probably be to Barefaced.

Also have you got a folding trolley yet?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1235435' date='May 18 2011, 11:21 AM']Now that is strange Gareth, if these are supposed to be more hi-fi than the norm as I had you down as a vintage guy.

But seeing as you liked the Berg 410 and now the TC's cabs..maybe you are more modern than you think :)

FWIW, I would like a clean clear sound and will be collecting my DB 10's very soon.[/quote]

Haha, perhaps this is true...maybe I like more of a modern tone than I realise?!

The RS210 is one neat little cabinet...very capable. The high end 'smoothness' is exactly what I like about it. I found the tweet on the Berg HS410 was what let it down. Fantastic powerful 4x10 though.

I look forward to seeing what Mr Bergantino has in store now the HTs/HSs/AEs have ALL gone!

I went to see a friend's blues band last year. He was using an RH450 + 2xRS210's with no PA support. A bar with quite a large room and stage in the centre. The band were playing at what I would say was average volume for that type of bar/pub gig. 2 guitars, drums, keys.
The bass could be heard very clearly around the room but towards the end of the evening the speakers were at there limit and struggling in the lows a little. The eq was set pretty flat. Could probably have done with an RS212 under one 210 for that particular band.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1235360' date='May 18 2011, 10:42 AM']... stopped me from buying a Barefaced cab, I'd still love to hear my RH450 through a Super Twelve.[/quote]

I was fortunate to meet up with Markstuk a few weeks ago to try out his Super Twelve T with my EBS head. He's got a RH450 with his BareFaced cab.

Sounded absolutely killer. OOODLES of power and punch in such a portable package.

Think I'm gonna get meself one :)

I found the RS210 I had to be very bright and quite harsh sounding. I was using a MarkBass F1 though, I'm told that the TC heads have a built in high end cut, maybe this compensates for the brightness in the cabs.

The main thing I didn't like was the finish. Mine was one of the newer cabs with a so called better finish, but I thought it was pretty rubbish. I can't imagine them lasting as long as the SWR Goliath II that I'm currently using.

I'm loving my rh750 through the Barefaced super12T.

There is a lot more bass response than I got from the littlemark tube when set flat, however this could be due to more power?

It's very loud indeed, I'm afraid of pushing the master up too much incase I break something, Walls start shaking and the like at around 9/10 o clock.

The only thing that's confusing is how to control the tweeter. Do you set the tweeter to the normal level you have then try and get the level right on the head? No idea. At the minute the tweeter on the cab is fully on, and I'm controlling it with the tweetertone on the head.

The cab also takes the heads OD sounds very well.

I've always said to people you get out what you put in with this cab, and I'm very glad that the RH750 is as transparent as it is, doesnt colour your sound at all as the cab doesn't particularly have a "voice" like you find with ampeg or ashdown. Although with the tubetone and some clever EQ you can get pretty much any sound you like.

At 19kgs it's easy enough to hual around and for the volume it produces you won't find anything that sounds as big, is as light and has a smaller foot print.