Why become a member? ×

Hello!

Surfer-bee

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum- at first I joined as you seem to have a pretty good community of second hand bass sellers, but really I'm always happy to chat to anyone about bass guitars. My knowledge is fairly limited as I am self-taught and mainly play by ear. I can't read music but tabs are ok when I'm a bit stuck (although they usually annoy me when I can plainly see they are not always 100% correct!).

I have a black Dean Playmate 5 string, but one day I hope to be able to buy something nicer and more friendly to my tiny hands. My dream-bass? Hmmm, at the minute the unobtainable dream is an Alembic Darling. Other ones that have caught my eye recently are the beautiful and light Warwick Streamers. But yes, that is a long way in the future for me.

My current mission is to learn to use a pick better.

So yeah, hi!

Edited by Surfer-bee

Hello from south of the border. I was born in Berkshire, then you Oxford folk went and stole Wantage and Abingdon from us, anyway nice to see a real Girl on Basschat!!! You’ll need a handsome young guy as an AVATAR to confuse these guys with beautiful young girls on theirs.
This site is addictive but very informative.

All the best have fun

Welcome on board.. Never enough female bass players.....

[quote name='Surfer-bee' post='1234892' date='May 17 2011, 09:10 PM']Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum- at first I joined as you seem to have a pretty good community of second hand bass sellers, but really I'm always happy to chat to anyone about bass guitars. My knowledge is fairly limited as I am self-taught and mainly play by ear. I can't read music but tabs are ok when I'm a bit stuck (although they usually annoy me when I can plainly see they are not always 100% correct!).

I have a black Dean Playmate 5 string, but one day I hope to be able to buy something nicer and more friendly to my tiny hands. My dream-bass? Hmmm, at the minute the unobtainable dream is an Alembic Darling. Other ones that have caught my eye recently are the beautiful and light Warwick Streamers. But yes, that is a long way in the future for me.

My current mission is to learn to use a pick better.

So yeah, hi![/quote]

Lena Abé, Kianna Alarid, Cecilia Amenábar, Jennifer Arroyo, Stephanie Ashworth, Talena Atfield, Melissa Auf der Maur, Laura Ballance, Jo Bench, Gina Birch, Lori Black, Jody Bleyle, Sheila Chipperfield, Annie Clements, Kim Deal, Trish Doan, Gail Ann Dorsey, Donna Dresch, Jill Emery, Alla Fedynitch, Jennifer Finch, Nicole Fiorentino, Peggy Foster, Jackie Fox, Debbie Googe, Kim Gordon, Gail Greenwood, Camila Grey, Rachel Haden, Leslie Hardy, Juliana Hatfield, Maureen Herman, Joyce Irby, Carol Kaye, Clare Kenny, Debra Killings, Sara Lee, Paz Lenchantin, Laura Love, Aimee Mann, Johnette Napolitano, Meshell Ndegeocello, Absinthe Green, Kristen Pfaff, Tessa Pollitt, Ginger Pooley, Suzi Quatro, Leah Randi, Jeanne Sagan, Shingai Shoniwa, Michael Steele, Abby Travis, Kathy Valentine, Christina Von Eerie, Kim Warnick, Tina Weymouth, Tal Wilkenfeld, Tracy Wormworth, D'arcy Wretzky, Sean Yseult, Regina Zernay Roberts, Annette Zilinskas, Joelle Leandre, Paula Gardiner, Gill Alexander,

Plenty of female bass guitar/double bass players around if you have a dig about. Welcome to basschat. :)

I think they were referring to more household/mainstream names than that. Paz Lenchantin is one of my favourite bassists ever (I love her work with A Perfect Circle).

I think the point was that you don't tend to have to "dig about" to find the names of more famous male players now, do you? As for double bass, it's something I know nothing about so I wasn't including them in my assumptions. Not the sort of music I'm majorly into.

I'm not getting into this debate any further. A musician is a musician.

I like lots of makes. To be honest I wouldn't say that I've played enough bass guitars to really have an opinion. At the moment I'm still trying to find "The One" whatever that make may be.

I like all things bass and am hoping to use this forum to further my education on guitars and playing styles. Any tips on what to look for in a bass will be greatly appreciated, especially when I can afford to properly look for it. I only have small hands so I guess I'm looking for a well balanced, slim necked and light-weight design. I am also a sound snob, so the quality of the pick-ups and electronics also have to be decent.

So far, I've been mulling over (and remember we're looking at the slightly more reasonably priced ranges):

The new Tanglewood Overwater basses
Warwick Streamer/Corvette Rockbasses
Ibanez models

I was only teasing.. there are a lot of fanbois on here as well as sensible folk :-) :)

What sort of music do you play? What amplification do you have?

I have an Ibanez SR765 5 String as a backup bass which has a 16.5 mm string spacing - I suspect a 5 string warwick might feel a little big in your hands...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Surfer-bee' post='1236392' date='May 18 2011, 10:19 PM']I like lots of makes. To be honest I wouldn't say that I've played enough bass guitars to really have an opinion. At the moment I'm still trying to find "The One" whatever that make may be.

I like all things bass and am hoping to use this forum to further my education on guitars and playing styles. Any tips on what to look for in a bass will be greatly appreciated, especially when I can afford to properly look for it. I only have small hands so I guess I'm looking for a well balanced, slim necked and light-weight design. I am also a sound snob, so the quality of the pick-ups and electronics also have to be decent.

So far, I've been mulling over (and remember we're looking at the slightly more reasonably priced ranges):

The new Tanglewood Overwater basses
Warwick Streamer/Corvette Rockbasses
Ibanez models[/quote]

Well I'm not sure my next bass will be a 5 string anyway- from what I've heard you have to pay a fair bit to get one where the 5th string doesn't sound rubbish. Unless I can find a comfy one with the right sound at the right price. I don't think I need to have a really tiny bass, I've managed alright so far on a pretty standard size.

I only have a cheap little Freedom 15 Watt practice amp- no point in anything bigger or more sophisticated as I have neighbours to think of. I do enjoy using my Vox AmPlug though- my bass sounds so much better though it than the amp and it means I don't bother anyone else. One day I'll have a better set-up but there's really not much point at the moment.

What music do I play? Lots of Jimi Hendrix, some Pearl Jam, Type O Negative... So mainly rock. I'm currently working on "Black Dog" by Led Zep, which is lots of fun.