Why become a member? ×

Where is it best to study bass?

Cyprusbass92

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone of you knows which of this colleges/universities is best to study bass to but also have a good and recognizable bachelor. Here are my choices:

Brunel University
London College of Music
London Center of Contemporary Music
Institute of Contemporary Music Performance
and Goldsmiths University

Note that i want a course that is not oriented only to bass practice but also in composition and harmony

[quote name='Cyprusbass92' post='1234401' date='May 17 2011, 03:07 PM']Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone of you knows which of this colleges/universities is best to study bass to but also have a good and recognizable bachelor. Here are my choices:

Brunel University
London College of Music

Note that i want a course that is not oriented only to bass practice but also in composition and harmony[/quote]

Is it just UK only you are after?
A world wide list here possibly worth looking into.
[url="http://www2.siba.fi/Kulttuuripalvelut/institutes.html#Germany"]http://www2.siba.fi/Kulttuuripalvelut/inst...es.html#Germany[/url]

Have you investigated Berklee?

Garry

Agreed, I nearly went down the music at uni route, but realised I'd rather do something with grounding elsewhere, and I should have 4 years of playing live and band experience, plus a masters in engineering :-).

I would agree Leeds is highly respected for music, that or the Royal College of Music (it'd be double bass, or jazz bass playing at the very least). IMO goldsmiths and brunel aren't particularly well respected unis, but if you're definitely studying music/bass and going into that kind of industry, then go to the one that gives the best course for the career that you want, regardless of its name.

PS Garry/Lowdown, are you Finnish?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1235000' date='May 17 2011, 10:13 PM']Only trouble with Leeds college of music is having to live in or near Leeds. I agree it produces some good grads though.[/quote]

And what exactly is wrong with Leeds?!

Is it electric bass or double bass you want to study?

Im on the BMus Program at the RSAMD in Scotland doing Double Bass 1st Study and Electric Bass 2nd. The level of tuition is great and there are loads of opportunities, not just classical music. Spent the last 2 weeks playing for Musical theatre Cabarets and was in the studio recording the soundtrack for a film the school of drama have done yesterday.

If you are interested, give me a PM and I can give you more details.

They also have the Jazz Course that you can study Electric bass only on? It all depends what you are looking to do.

Dara

I'd agree generally with those above. If you really want to study music for a career, then go to one of the main colleges (Leeds, Birmingham, RCM, Trinity etc.), if you want to grow as a player but have the chance of actually getting a decent job at the end of it then either do another degree and just get involved with music, or do a joint honours degree (allowing you to study what you want of music, and not what you don't want).

I can whole heartedly recommend acoustics and music at southampton. You're never going to get the coaching of a proper music college, but you can do composition, studio, performance, ensemble modules etc., whilst getting half an acoustics degree and coming out with a Bsc. Acoustics has a 100% employment from Southampton so you know you've always got a decent job to fall back on.

Don't do a university degree if you want to either play or be a composer, the tuition will not be up to that of music colleges (you will basically be at a disadvantage), you'll have to do lots of essay modules (most likely that or the course just won't be that great), and you'll be no better off qualification wise at the end of it.

Just my 2 pence.

Im year 12 at the moment and looking too. My favourite so far is goldsmiths because its small but not too small (8K students), well placed even it is expensive (Cheaper part of london), doesnt need the best grades just ABB.

Dan
EDIT: Was thinking about RCM not LCM

Edited by MuckedUpFunkies

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1237109' date='May 19 2011, 05:04 PM']Im year 12 at the moment and looking too. My favourite so far is goldsmiths because its small but not too small (8K students), well placed even it is expensive (Cheaper part of london), doesnt need the best grades just ABB.

Dan
EDIT: Was thinking about RCM not LCM[/quote]

RCM is just next to my uni, it's in a fantastic area, but is small, and there is some serious elitism in that place - my gf went to a full orchestra recital of 8 or so pieces written by individuals at the college, she's no big classical afficionado, but did say they were largely "rubbish". Elitism can be good, hell it's a good school, but if you've got some kind of brain on you, apply for Physics and Music at Imperial, it's a double degree, and the music side is taught at the RCM (right next door), I know a girl who is a fantastic sax player doing such a degree, and speaks highly of it.
Goldsmiths has had some decent musicians come out of it, quite a few of whom now play in the proms orchestra, but it isn't that great a uni.

As repeated above, only go to a uni with a worse name if you are definitely going into music, or you'll dent your future career. If not, consider a non-music based course and just get actively involved in music societies and bands at college - imo this will be easier to do if you pick a uni with a city centre location (i.e. imperial, ucl, kings, lse in london, bristol, leeds, etc) - all have vibrant gigging scenes and doors to get your foot into.

[quote name='Cyprusbass92' post='1234401' date='May 17 2011, 03:07 PM']Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone of you knows which of this colleges/universities is best to study bass to but also have a good and recognizable bachelor. Here are my choices:

Brunel University
London College of Music

Note that i want a course that is not oriented only to bass practice but also in composition and harmony[/quote]

Hi Cyprusbass
I teach at the London Centre of Contemporary Music and used to be the bass tutor at Salford University, and the Arts Centre in Liverpool.
I've got over 15 years experience teaching in colleges and I can honestly say that LCCM is an excellent college, the emphasis is on the practical, there are some seriously good tutors there and the students seem to have nothing but praise for it. I know very little about the other courses you mention so can't speak about them, but I would recommend LCCM without reservation.
Have a look around this site and I hope you'll find that I always try my best to be honest and fair minded so I really would not give you biased opinion.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1237553' date='May 19 2011, 10:51 PM']What's right with Leeds?

I grew up in Wakefield and I live in York now, I expect I know Leeds as well as anybody.[/quote]

I've grown up in Leeds and studied at the Uni. It's not a bad city at all, the student areas are reasonable, there's plenty going on, the city centre is decent. As places to go to study and to live, there are much worse around! I just find it a bit bizarre that you hate it enough to suggest people stay away from it.

+1 for Salford, Studying with Ollie Collins has improved my bass playing out of all recognition. The performance oppertunities in the uni and round manchester are endless, if you put the work in, you WILL get the rewards/work. Salford doesnt seem to have the best rep at the moment but there are some really incredible musicians here.

Personally, I think people should be wary with Leeds College of Music as they are currently undergoing a number of major staff changes and it's probably not the same as when others studied here.

I'm not putting anyone off going, just do your research as they have decided not to renew contracts with key members of staff.

In my opinion, it does not send out the right messages when an institute decides to not continue it's associations with good quality instrumentalists and lecturers.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1239491' date='May 21 2011, 05:20 PM']Personally, I think people should be wary with Leeds College of Music as they are currently undergoing a number of major staff changes and it's probably not the same as when others studied here.

I'm not putting anyone off going, just do your research as they have decided not to renew contracts with key members of staff.

In my opinion, it does not send out the right messages when an institute decides to not continue it's associations with good quality instrumentalists and lecturers.[/quote]

+1 to this.

Also, its now currently owned by Bradford University, so your degree certificate will be from them, not LCM.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1239825' date='May 21 2011, 11:48 PM']Dont waste your time, stop in the warm of greece and enjoy some good food,sunshine and sea[/quote]

Perhaps the constant diet of 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, and 11/8 Bouzouki music with a daily routine
Of plate smashing thrown in is getting him down. [Assuming he is from the Greek side of course]
Otherwise it might be Oud's and strong Turk Kahvesi getting him down.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1239529' date='May 21 2011, 05:59 PM']+1 to this.

Also, its now currently owned by Bradford University, so your degree certificate will be from them, not LCM.[/quote]

This is another issue with LCM.

They have had numerous issues with finding a university to verify their degrees. They've had a number in the recent past that included: Leeds Uni, Leeds Met Uni, Wakefield College, Leeds Trinity, Open University.

All have decided that they do not want to be associated with the quality of education at LCM, and last year when a friend of mine graduated at LCM, there were some serious doubts about whether they would get their degrees accredited by a university as they were having issues with whoever was supposed to do it...

Hence why they got Bradford on board this year.