Why become a member? ×

Marcodi Harpejji

Dood

I'm not entirely sure how I just stumbled on this, but I would love to get my mits on one! - Not strictly 'Bass Discussion' but this instrument does have a bass range in it as well, so it's tenuous.

You probably know how much I love tap style and the Chapman Stick. I think the Harpejji is taking it all to the next level. I'll shut up now and just post the videos I've just watched!

There's plenty more on Youtube - but I really like the idea of this instrument alot!

Check out the bridge on this bad boy! ha ha

I heard about these a short while ago, being an avid Dream Theater fan. I've only just recently heard actual music written for, and played on one and it's truly amazing! i think they're only existed for a couple of years max. Something to watch out for in the music world!!

That's uberkool dood :) had a play on the virtual & found my way round it so easily, reckon could knock out some toons with that :) US $4k + extras though! Love the A0 bottom & the 9 bass strings are flatwound as standard.

On my wish list :lol:

Edited by KiOgon

It looks like a tastey piece of kit! Some of those wide interval piano chords just sound lush! I've just gotten a new Synth at home so am loving playing keys again - then I happened upon these. I think my wallet just rolled over and died!

Don't get around here much these days since giving up the bass due to some arthritis based hand issues. I came across a link to this
thread on Marcodi's Facebook page and thought I pop along and contribute. Years ago I strapped on Warr guitar as I always liked the
concept of playing bass and melody simultaneously and at the time the Warr seemed the logical way for a bass player to do this with
a proper extended range. One thing led to another and it didn't quite work out for me as I'd hoped but the tapping style of playing still
really appealed to me. Moving along a couple of years and my hand problems really hit hard and I had to start thinking about life without
playing bass guitars (I still have a few in the cupboard :)) but really didn't want to give up on music making altogether. It was at this point
that I started talking to Tim at Marcodi and he was very helpful in explaining the concepts and the reality of the Harpejji, a few months later
and .........

It is a beautiful instrument to play and opens up worlds of possibilities whilst still giving me that string fix, I alternate between the Harpejji and
the Eigenharp these days. When I confident I'll post up some videos.

BTW I have no other connection with Marcodi apart from being a satisfied customer. I'm just pleased to see them get a little more exposure.

[quote name='Nick Brown' post='1222495' date='May 6 2011, 06:57 PM']Don't get around here much these days since giving up the bass due to some arthritis based hand issues. I came across a link to this
thread on Marcodi's Facebook page and thought I pop along and contribute. Years ago I strapped on Warr guitar as I always liked the
concept of playing bass and melody simultaneously and at the time the Warr seemed the logical way for a bass player to do this with
a proper extended range. One thing led to another and it didn't quite work out for me as I'd hoped but the tapping style of playing still
really appealed to me. Moving along a couple of years and my hand problems really hit hard and I had to start thinking about life without
playing bass guitars (I still have a few in the cupboard :)) but really didn't want to give up on music making altogether. It was at this point
that I started talking to Tim at Marcodi and he was very helpful in explaining the concepts and the reality of the Harpejji, a few months later
and .........

It is a beautiful instrument to play and opens up worlds of possibilities whilst still giving me that string fix, I alternate between the Harpejji and
the Eigenharp these days. When I confident I'll post up some videos.

BTW I have no other connection with Marcodi apart from being a satisfied customer. I'm just pleased to see them get a little more exposure.[/quote]

Ahhh Nick! Sorry to hear about your hand problems, but it's great to hear that you have found an alternative for channelling your music! Thank you also for posting pictures. I'd definitely like to hear more about the Harpejji - and see some videos if you do indeed post some. Have you found it easy to adapt to the Harpejji's layout and are you finding playing with both hands a challenge at all?

Dooooooooood

[quote name='dood' post='1223228' date='May 7 2011, 02:20 PM']Ahhh Nick! Sorry to hear about your hand problems, but it's great to hear that you have found an alternative for channelling your music! Thank you also for posting pictures. I'd definitely like to hear more about the Harpejji - and see some videos if you do indeed post some. Have you found it easy to adapt to the Harpejji's layout and are you finding playing with both hands a challenge at all?

Dooooooooood[/quote]

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Dood much appreciated. It was accidental coming across Tim and Harpejji through a Tap style forum. Once I saw the concept it just made sense to me
and looked to address a lot of the issues I was/am having with my hands. It responds well to a light touch and under the un-stretched span of a hand there is enormous range available.
Once you get your head around the whole tone between each string it's surprisingly easy to navigate, especially with Marcodi's marking system. The two handed side of things I'd been
doing with my basses although not the extent available on the Harpejji and as a bass player it's quite liberating to play bass lines with two hands on the Harpejji. All the usual bends and slurs are still available on the instrument too so I think most bassists and guitarists would find the feel very familiar. I run mine through a MacBook with Logic installed and so can make use of all the various effects in the software too. Plus being stereo you can tailor the bass and melody sides differently to taste. My purchase was very much a desperate shot in the dark, albeit aided by my experiences with the Warr, but I don't regret it at all. If you have any questions I'll try and put some more detail to them.